Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I took the family on a trip from NJ to Florida last week. As we usually go to Florida each Spring Break in the Quest, this year we decided to take the Mo.

Specifically, our trip took us from central NJ to DeBary, Florida (outside Sanford) then to Fort Myers, Miami, West Palm Beach and then back to DeBary for the remainder of our stay. The only 'hiccup' we had was on our trip leg from Miami to Debary, where our Mo nearly broke down on route 46. :(

While the trip was relatively smooth, the Mo picked the worst time to arrive at a near breakdown. As any central Floridian knows, route 46 between I95 and Sandford is quite simply a no man's land for about 27 miles....couple that with the fact that it was about 12:30am and one has the recipe for horror flick.

Anyhow, the Mo felt as though it was "stuck in 2nd gear" where I managed to "limp" back (4k rpm @ 40mph) to my aunt's home in Debary. Early the next morning, I brought the Mo to Deland Nissan where it was determined that the throttle body malfunctioned. (Thank God for a warranty on that $500 job.) Deland Nissan was quite simply the best service staff I've encountered EVER. They had the new throttle body AND fuel tank recall done in less than 2hrs.

With the Mo as good as new, it was clear sailing for the remainder of our vacation and trip home. Aside from the TB crapping out, I'm pretty impressed with the Mo.

Here are some random Mo pics from my trip:

Daytona Beach



Futility in keeping pace with a Cadillac CTS-V on I-75 to Miami:



Quick Trip summary:
Averaged 18.4 mpg
3,071 elapsed miles
Repairs: 1 Throttle Body
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,257 Posts
Seems to almost be obligatory to lose the TB on a trip.

The MO is a good road car but it can't keep up with Cadillacs. Especially a CTS-V.:1:

Glad the trip was done safely and almost without incident.


Homer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,512 Posts
f23a-

I love the pics of your MO on the beach. (The beach sand around here is way too soft to attempt that without dropping the air pressure on the Goodyears.)

That's too bad about the throttle body. Hopefully that will be your first and last breakdown. It was good to see that the local dealership took good care of you. That kind of takes the sting out of the breakdown.

-njjoe
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
Make sure to file a report with NHTSA on their website on the failure. This seems to be a very common problem on the Murano and if enough complaints are filed, the feds might force Nissan to take action and issue a recall (for the benefit of other owners, so they won't be stranded on long trips).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hfelknor said:


The MO is a good road car but it can't keep up with Cadillacs. Especially a CTS-V.:1:

Homer
Indeed!! Even my bolt modded 02 Maxima cannot possibly hang with the V. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
njjoe said:
f23a-

I love the pics of your MO on the beach. (The beach sand around here is way too soft to attempt that without dropping the air pressure on the Goodyears.)

-njjoe
Yes, the Mo handled the beach like a champ. I witnessed several cars getting stuck in "soft spots" (including a Suburban :confused: ) but, the MO had little problem with it.

Sidenote: It appears that my Mo was one of the few in Florida (that we came across) with AWD....for obvious reasons I guess. Exactly the opposite of NJ where most have AWD. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eric L. said:
Make sure to file a report with NHTSA on their website on the failure. This seems to be a very common problem on the Murano and if enough complaints are filed, the feds might force Nissan to take action and issue a recall (for the benefit of other owners, so they won't be stranded on long trips).
^^^ Good recommendation!! :4:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,477 Posts
I'm curious, is the TB failure common? I have been on this site for a couple of years and just don't recall anything about a TB failure.
Maybe there is a thread that I missed.
Bob1
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
bob1 said:
I'm curious, is the TB failure common? I have been on this site for a couple of years and just don't recall anything about a TB failure.
Maybe there is a thread that I missed.
Bob1
I'd say I've probably read at least 10 cases here. Thats common enough for me to believe its not random, and the TB and associated sensors are prone to failure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,477 Posts
Thanks Eric, something to keep in the back of my mind but at least that should be a 5 year/60000 mile issue.
Bob1
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
5,244 Posts
Yes, I have seen it number of times on this board. The fact that the dealer had a spare in stock means something too.

PS. 100k/5y warranty looks better and better…..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Taking Eric's advice, I posted a complaint accordingly: #10155489

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

I don't see it posted publicly yet but, it should be forthcoming.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
f23a said:
Taking Eric's advice, I postes a complaint accordingly: #10155489

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

I don't see it posted publicly yet but, it should be forthcoming.
Much thanks. No doubt it was the action of many forum members who originally filed alternator failure reports with NHTSA that led to the recall, so it does work.
 

·
Just wanna help
Joined
·
1,383 Posts
Eric L. said:


Much thanks. No doubt it was the action of many forum members who originally filed alternator failure reports with NHTSA that led to the recall, so it does work.
Second this!
I miss the old days when all the topic were alternators .....:4:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top