Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a good quality set of tools for work in my garage (hobby of course!). I have had a look at: Craftsman (SEARS), Kobalt (Lowe’s), Husky (Home Depot) and Stanley (Wal-Mart). All seem to be OK. Also price wise there are no real differences. I like the Craftsman because of laser etched wrench and socket sizes.

Anyone out there who could advise me on quality and longevity of these tools. Your preferences and why a particular brand.

Thanks

·
Registered
418 Posts
You can't go wrong with Craftsman...I still have the basic set of tools my wife gave me before we were married....33 years ago...lots of additions particularly when Canada went "metric" in mid 70's.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I too have many Craftsman tools that have been around for a long, long time. One time I found and obviously abused screwdriver and they (Sears) just replaced it without blinking an eye.

I have also purchased tools from the other stores you mentioned. They all seem fine for my limited needs. Although my Husky socket set is kinda crappy....

·
Registered
758 Posts
Kris

I would stick with the Craftsman. They have a proven reputation for reliability and also Sears honors the Lifetime warranty without question. Anything wrong just take it to Sears and they will replace it without any issue.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
being that we are on Craftsman....

Take a look at their garden hose as well. If it ever leaks or gets a hole in it (which hose won't?) they will replace it. I had to get one replaced after 10 years--no questions, just handed me another.
:D

·
4,664 Posts
I've been delighted with my Craftsman, both Metric and Standard.

Watch Sears, they have promotions and you can get some good deals on them. I bought two sets at the same time, so it's a joy switching between them and I can rob from one, to use on the other, when needed. Like adding extensions, or having two identical ratchets, one on the bolt an the other on the nut (if the sizes are different). I've had them for 14 years now.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Another vote for the Craftsman, I have a lot of my Dad's tools now (many are 30-40 years old) that he's pretty much stopped using them and he worked for Sears fort quite a few years.

I did see something at Sam's Club last weekend however that caught my eye. It was a set of "Professional" grade tools that were finished in a Black Chrome and came with a really nice box and tightly molded closed cell foam orginization system.

I'm going to go back and check them out again (without the wife and kids) just because father's day isn't too far away............

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, 6 replies and all CRAFTSMAN! They must be doing something wright.

Thanks guys, you convinced me.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I too am a fan of Craftsman. They are not inexpensive, but you get what you pay for. However, truth be told, for all routine maintenance, almost any set of tools would be fine. Just make sure you have yourself a good clicky torque wrench.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Craftsman here, too.

Anybody know where to get hold of some good interior trim tools? I hate coaxing trim and modlings off with a drewscriver, just knowing I'm probably going to leave pry marks and have to go looking for replacement fasteners.

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, you all convinced me. Went for Craftsman. Ordered on line nice, laser etched set – no luck. No available in local store (opted for store pick up). So decided to wait – no luck. Items not available any more…………..so got another set – 161 item, $150. Good price. Set good enaugh for me, at least for now

Now as Uncadanno I am looking for interior trim tools……

·
Registered
424 Posts
UncaDanno said:
Anybody know where to get hold of some good interior trim tools? I hate coaxing trim and modlings off with a drewscriver, just knowing I'm probably going to leave pry marks and have to go looking for replacement fasteners.
I think I'm going to order this set . . .

Trim Tools

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Sure look appropiate for the snap together MO, Hate to pay so much for shipping, will look locally first.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I did some more searching and I found the manufacturer of the trim tools. They are located in California and you can order direct. They ship via UPS and the shipping charges range from about $5.00 to the west coast and $6.50 to the east coast for the 4-piece kits. There are different combinations available as well as individual tools. Here's a link to their site Bojo

·
Registered
844 Posts
I to have been a life long fan of craftsman, I even got my son his frist set of tools from Sears. The tradition continues.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have dealt with lots of brands. Until my stepson got me hooked on Craftsman. He's works in Guidance and Controls on the AF's C-130s.

Yeah, they can cost more, initially, than most others, but they're worth it. And the Boss Lady has found where I can get them from time to time pretty darn cheap.

Seems that QVC runs specials on them. "Watch your local listings." heh

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
CopperKat you are the best, thanks Don

·
Registered
80 Posts
For hand tools, I buy Craftsman too. Snap-On makes great tools, but they're quite a bit pricier than the Craftsman equivalents. Personally, I'd rather buy Craftsman than anything at Lowe's/Home Depot. Sometimes, when I'm in a pinch and can't make the longer trip to Sears, I'll buy something small at Lowe's/HD, but I'd rather not.

Power tools? That's another story. I usually buy DeWalt. My dad had some issues with Craftsman power tools that just kind of turned me off of them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts