Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tornado Fuel Saver

About a month ago I decided to be dumb and buy one of those AS SEEN on TV "Tornado Fuel Savers".
http://www.seenontv.com/prod-pages/tornadofuelsaver.html
The install on it was great took less than a minute, just a screw driver was all I needed. Before I used to get about 15.8 to 16mpg ( all city driving ) and now I get about 16.8 to 17.1mpg so it does increase it a bit. .8 or 1mpg more isnt much, but when gas is as high in my city ( $2.15 per gal ) an extra mpg is worth its weight in gold. I would suggest this product to people. It wont pay for it self right away, but within a yr id say it would. I didnt notice any loss or gains in horsepower. If anyone else has this let me know what you think.
Any quesitons feel free to hit me up... =)

·
Registered
487 Posts
The Tornado, along with the majority of "additives" or "accessories" meant to improve your car's performance are generally regarded as being.. worthless.

Now I said generally.. maybe it's working for you, but I've heard far many more stories about how the Tornado DOESN'T work compared to how many say it DOES work.

If anyone is thinking of buying one of these, also do some research on the internet. See what other drivers (of other vehicles) are saying.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Miracle cures for cars will never cease to attract people who believe in TV commercials. I think any perceived increase in power of fuel economy is due to the placebo effect rather than real gains.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Eric L. said:
Miracle cures for cars will never cease to attract people who believe in TV commercials. I think any perceived increase in power of fuel economy is due to the placebo effect rather than real gains.
\

well, everything cept for prolong.............. now THAT works.........

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I can't tell if you are serious or sarcastic. Hehe...

esemes said:
\

well, everything cept for prolong.............. now THAT works.........

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Eric L. said:
I can't tell if you are serious or sarcastic. Hehe...

:D ;)

not in my car brother..........lol

-sms

ps- consumer reports tried it once (and then did the run-dry test) and managed to lock the motor in no time at all..........

kinda like (sit down for this....) not running motor oil would do to a motor!!! lol

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Hehehehe....i guess the only thing it prolongs is the time your car is spent in the shop.

Another additive I remember generating a lot of hype was ZMax. Despite my suggestions for them to save their money, some friends of mine tried it, and it did nothing (other than cost them $30).

esemes said:

:D ;)

not in my car brother..........lol

-sms

ps- consumer reports tried it once (and then did the run-dry test) and managed to lock the motor in no time at all..........

kinda like (sit down for this....) not running motor oil would do to a motor!!! lol

·
5,268 Posts
floaty98,

the better mileage you are seeing is most likely "psychological" effect. You installed it and now you are watching the fuel economy. And of course driving that way! I have seen many of this inventions. Unfortunately they had no or negligible effect on real life performance.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yeah. A lot of these 'systems' include a set of instructions telling you how to drive. Usually, these 'guidelines' are what saves you in MPG, not the device itself.

And usually, those instructions are common sense anyway. "Don't mash the accelerator" being a good one ;)

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Doombringer said:
Yeah. A lot of these 'systems' include a set of instructions telling you how to drive. Usually, these 'guidelines' are what saves you in MPG, not the device itself.

And usually, those instructions are common sense anyway. "Don't mash the accelerator" being a good one ;)

** avoid "jackrabbit" starts...........

i like that one.....

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
My opinion (based on my faulty memory):

If and only if it actually does create an air vortex, then it will create more horsepower. More horsepower does not necessarily mean better gas mileage or worse. But the general trend is more horsepower equals worse gas mileage. Both because of your lead foot (performance) and because of a "virtual" displacement increase. An engine is a pump. It pumps an air and fuel mixture and exhaust byproducts. Pump more air and you pump more fuel which means more power and worse gas mileage. Increasing combustion efficiency is a whole different matter all together. I do not see any way this device can do that. On a carburetor engine though...it could.

The exception to better mpg with power increase being better power to weight ratio effects during acceleration. I don't know how much power this *could* generate versus it's weight, but I seriously doubt it is enough to appreciably affect the much larger power to weight ratio of the MO. Take a turbo charger for example. These add significant amounts of horsepower for their weight. These can drastically increase the HP to weight ratio. But once you have that power, it's hard not to use it. I haven't heard of anyone getting better gas mileage after they add a turbo...just better 1/4 mile times :D.

Creating a spiraling vortex vice a flat flow *can* make appreciable differences in flow. The problem is, it's really hard to do reliably and across a wide rpm band. Pro shops that have flow benches to test intake mods have been trying to do this for years with some but little success, and not consistently. Although the good shops do get consistent flow increases, they are not necessarily getting it by vortex. As an example, polishing intakes has to be done very carefully and often by trial and error. If you polish too much and in the wrong places you actually lose flow. It's complex aerodynamics IE it's not trivial and I doubt this thing seriously. And from what I have heard, the mods you have to make to attain a vortex are not intuitive and not a simple matter of adding something on the front. And they not only vary from model to model but also across rpm ranges. It requires intricate matching of all the intake components from the filter through the plenum and intake and past the valves right into the cylinder head. All the dimensions including geometry and restrictions are very important. In other words...it may work a little bit at some rpm range but no guarantee across the entire rpm range or on all models of cars. It is more likely that it creates trivial HP increases in some part of the rpm range and lose power in the rest.

But with all that said, it works for you, I am glad for you. Whatever the reason, it was worth it for you. And that is good. You never know until you try, and it is good to try. A test is worth a thousand expert opinions. And it may work for others. So I'm not trying to dis you floaty but I feel compelled to share this albeit faulty memory and opinion to caution others..."Results WILL vary."

·
Registered
443 Posts
The only additive that really works is your intake system is a gas made of nitrogen and oxygen... now THAT does work.

All kidding aside, thanks floaty for the info. If it's working for you, I'm glad to hear it!

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Glad to see that this is working for you. But as another post has stated, it generally doesn't work for the majority of the population.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Isn't this the product that can potentialy come apart, pieces get sucked in through the throttle body, down in to the intake and right in the cylinders? I'd be reluctant to put that in the car. :confused:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Cryogenix,

Take it out.... that thing will get digested into your engine!

I gaurantee that the noises you are hearing are NOT from that.

·
5,268 Posts
BARCODE said:
Isn't this the product that can potentialy come apart, pieces get sucked in through the throttle body, down in to the intake and right in the cylinders? I'd be reluctant to put that in the car. :confused:
I'm with you on this one!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Every single test of the Tornado (and similar products) suggests that it does absolutely nothing for your car. Maybe for a 20 year old Caprice with poor compression it might help things, but not wiht a brand new Murano and the excellent 3.5L VQ.

If you really want proof, the latest issue of Consumers Reports tested it and concluded it does not improve performance or fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Latest issue of CR tested the Tornado again - again it did not improve performance or fuel economy.

·
5,268 Posts
We've been running 2 separate threats on the same topic so I have merged them.......

1 - 20 of 31 Posts