Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve read multiple threads, but none seemed to have the answer: Do we know why Nissan downgraded the tow capacity between the 2014 and 2015 Murano models? Anyone towing ~2500lbs with their Murano, post 2015? If so, what weight are you towing and over what range/terrain?
Thanks!

·
Registered
321 Posts
To help avoid transmission failures. Personally, I wouldn't tow anything with the Murano. It's just not built for it .

·
Super Moderator
8,437 Posts
To help avoid transmission failures. Personally, I wouldn't tow anything with the Murano. It's just not built for it .
I think that's as good a guess as any. I don't have specs on the number of transmission failures, but I share a suspicion that Nissan decided to reduce the tow rating to help improve the reputation of their transmissions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2014 and 2015 are different,I know the 2015+ has a tow capacity of 1000lbs.I sure that's because of the CVT Transmission,It has a belt instead of gears.

·
Super Moderator
8,437 Posts
2014 and 2015 are different,I know the 2015+ has a tow capacity of 1000lbs. I sure that's because of the CVT Transmission,It has a belt instead of gears.
Muranos in the US all have CVT transmissions; all CVT transmissions in all years of Muranos have a metal belt.

You might want to double-check that towing spec in the manual, since it has been reported as 1500 lbs. Confirmation would be helpful.

Reactions: congaroo2

·
Super Moderator
8,437 Posts
There are many discussions of towing in threads here, and people have towed a wide variety of loads with the Muranos. Searching will find these discussions. The change in weight ratings between generations of Muranos has been discussed lot, and I don't think there is anything definitive about why the changes were made.

With my first gen 07 Murano I towed trailers that probably weighed 3000-3500 lbs from Colorado to Oklahoma and back. I personally wouldn't be afraid to push the rated limits on towing, but I've been working on cars and towing trailers occasionally for 50 years and I have a pretty good idea how to tow while managing loads and avoid breaking components.

The confounding thing about changes in towing ratings is that you're never sure whether a change in towing ratings such as the one that happened with generation change in the Murano is the result of actual changes in the power train, or if it's due to the manufacturer's attorneys twisting their arms to reduce risk by reducing ratings.

You know the old saying about when you talk to your attorney? You do it only when you need a reason to say "No."

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think that's as good a guess as any. I don't have specs on the number of transmission failures, but I share a suspicion that Nissan decided to reduce the tow rating to help improve the reputation of their transmissions.
I guess you're right,It is 1,500 lbs.From what I've read I wouldn't tow anything with it,The Trans is their achilles heal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I guess you're right,It is 1,500 lbs.From what I've read I wouldn't tow anything with it,The Trans is their achilles heal.
Muranos in the US all have CVT transmissions; all CVT transmissions in all years of Muranos have a metal belt.

You might want to double-check that towing spec in the manual, since it has been reported as 1500 lbs. Confirmation would be helpful.
You're right,It is 1,500 lbs.I wouldn't tow anything with them,The Trans is their achilles heel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts