Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeep weighs ~3000lbs, tow dolly weighs ~500lbs, so a 600 mile tow at maximum rated capacity ~3500lbs.

Trip average 15.5mpg, 57mph, cruising speeds of 70, 65, and 55mph (fllowed speed limits). Plenty of hills and grades, very smooth, used cruise control, speed would vary by maybe 2mph on grades, rpms would change to match power needed. Would cruise down a flat road or slight incline at normal rpm for the given speed (IE as if there was no tow load). The absence of gear hunting was greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
How were the brakes?
Seems like you didn't even have surge brakes back there.

Homer

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Great to see someone else who's pushing the limits of the MO's to see how it reacts..

Enforcer.. like you I've used my MO for quite a bit of towing.. including one large boat (see pic and previous post below..

in terms of "pulling power" the MO is great, there have been a few times where some people have pulled up beside me (on a lane that was ending, for a last second passing) and you should see the shock on thier face, then the MO ends up out accelerating them, even with a boat/trailer.. I havn't have to do any hard stops, but it seems nice and stable, the body roll in the SE is nice and firm as well..

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=580&highlight=boat

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
According to the owners manual, Nissan recommends trailer brakes on any tow load over 1000lbs. But it is good to see the CVT up to the task of 3500lbs! If I was going to tow though, it would not hurt to hook up an auxilary transmission cooler. The only issue would be to get a few quarts of NS-2 fluid from Nissan to fill the extra capacity that would create. B&M makes excellent transmission coolers.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm worried about towing ANYTHING in this Vegas heat....transmission cooler or not....

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah Homer, that's the one thing I was worried about and disappointed me about the dolly. The MOs brakes were great though. Now obviously, your about twice as heavy so your stopping distance is going to be about twice as far, but once you account for that and plan ahead, no problem. Very solid, no brake fade, oh and compression braking on just cruise control was awesome, never had to apply brakes going downhill and speed stayed within 2mph of cruise set. The max rpm it went up to going uphill on cruise was 3500.

Ok what hills? Well, I drove north on I-65 from Huntsville up through Louisville to I-75 and then I-75 all the way up to Ohio SR 30E. Up to Cincinatti there are several good grades but nothing that requires emergency truck stopping ramps. Thats why I call them hills instead of mountains. Kind of like Monte Sano Mountain in Huntsville...it's called a mountain but to me it's a hill.

As far as extra transmission cooler, well, I don't think it's necessary. That is what has perplexed me about the MO. The Nissan hitch with a tow rating of 3500 lbs is an accessory. It's not an option. Tow package options usually include extra cooling for transmissions and engines. But not for the MO. At first you might think they took the cheesy way out, almost as an afterthought. But why do that and open yourself up to risk? And why not alleviate that risk in next years model? Something tells me the answer is in the CVT itself. Perhaps the controller and temperature sensors and engine computer. I don't know, but it was a cool drive. The highest outside temp was 41 F.

A short note about the CVT. I've recently learned a lot about it (more later) but it doesn't generate heat like an automatic. But it does have a torque converter that does generate heat like an automatic. An automatic has clutch pads that engage hydrostatically, so the slipping generates heat. The CVT is designed not to slip. Now there is always micro slippage going on, a matter of geometry/physics, but macro slip is intentionally prevented. IE the belt travel faster than the cones. If it did, it would rip off material and cause big problems, probably catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
towing capacity

I find these numbers difficult to believe. I just hauled my 2000 pound [email protected] trailer for the first time with my 2006 Murano SL. From Erie, PA to Uniontown I got 10.4 miles per gallon at around 60 to 65 mph. By going 50 to 55 on the return I bumped this up to about 11.9 mpg. Pulling 3500 lbs and getting 15 mmpg seems like science fiction to me. Is there something I'm missing:(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts