Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone towning a small travel trailer with a Muran? I have a 17' Casita trailer that weighs about 3500lbs when fully loaded.
I'm trying to get a feel for what other are doing in this regard.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
3500 is the towing limit for the Murano and you should have no issues with the proper rig, tongue weight, and trailer brakes.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
the casita web site lists the 17 foot deluxe at 2385 pounds dry and 385 tongue.
If I were you I would trailer dry and place something in the rear to lower the tongue weight.
If the fresh water tank is in the rear, put some water in it to offset the tongue weight.
I would also investigate suspension airbags for the rear of the Mo.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Lschilders-

Welcome to the forum!

As I am sure you already know from reading the owners manual, the Murano is capable of towing your Casita trailer. Pay speical attention to the trailer's weight distribution to ensure you do not exceed the tongue weight rating of 350 pounds. Since you are presently at 385 pounds you should shift some of the movable loads aft of the trailer's rear axle.

Nissan recommends that for the Murano all trailers above 1,000 pounds should be equipped with trailer brakes. Allthough the MO has excellent brakes, asking it to stop an additional 3,500 is not wise. Does your trailer have brakes?

-njjeo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
njjoe said:
Lschilders-

Welcome to the forum!

As I am sure you already know from reading the owners manual, the Murano is capable of towing your Casita trailer. Pay speical attention to the trailer's weight distribution to ensure you do not exceed the tongue weight rating of 350 pounds. Since you are presently at 385 pounds you should shift some of the movable loads aft of the trailer's rear axle.

Nissan recommends that for the Murano all trailers above 1,000 pounds should be equipped with trailer brakes. Allthough the MO has excellent brakes, asking it to stop an additional 3,500 is not wise. Does your trailer have brakes?

-njjeo
Yes, the trailer has brakes, and I have a "Equalizer" hitch assy which combines sway control and weight distribution.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Lschilders said:
Yes, the trailer has brakes, and I have a "Equalizer" hitch assy which combines sway control and weight distribution.
Ahh, then you are good to go.

Many people have used the MO as a tow vehicle and no one has reported any problems.

The CVT makes the MO a good tow vehicle because it always selects the optimum ratio to enable the VQ to provide the torque required to maintain speed. There is no "hunting" for the proper gear as with many conventional auto trannies.

Have a great vacation!!

-njjoe

·
Registered
19 Posts
Been a while since visiting.

I pull a Jayco Jay Series 1206 tent trailor. Loaded up we are probably looking at 2800-3000 pounds. No issues at all and very capable of passing. Lots of torque on the long uphills also.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I tow a 14' + 5' V-nose aluminum snowmobile trailer with the Murano. It does pretty well. Even fairly moderate hills are ok but I try to watch my speed on the hills. Although the Murano can do them, fuel economy drops fast if I'm not careful on the hills. It's low enough towing as it is. I'm probably between 1900 and 2500 pounds loaded depending on if I have 1 or 2 sleds in there. The trailer has electric brakes and I definitely run a brake controller pulling this.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I haul a 19' aluminum deck boat that has a total package weight of anywhere from 2700 to 3200 depending on gas and gear. The Murano hauls it just fine with no problems. The trailer does have surge brakes and I would consider that a requirement regardless (in Virginia, only trailers hauling 3,000 or more are required by law to have brakes).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I tow a small Coleman tent trailer with my Mo. Last month we took it on a 3000 mile road trip from Northern California through Oregon, Washington and up to Vancouver Island, BC and back. We travelled up Hwy 101 up the coast through all of the coastal ranges. The Mo handled well. The only concerns that we had was that the tongue weight was under 225lbs but the trunk and back seat was packed full of camping gear and ice coolers. A bit of rear-end sag with the additional weight in the car since the GCVW was at the limit or slightly above... As expected we couldn't stop as well so keep plenty of distance in front of the car.

The only time we ran into a problem was cutting through Seattle, the NAV sent us up a very steep San Francisco sized hill in a little residential neighborhood. Let's just say we didn't make it up the hill. :eek: As the car stopped moving forward even in the lowest gear, I quickly turned her into someone's driveway. After several attempts to turn the car and trailer around in the middle of the hill, we finally got the Mo facing downhill and back on the road. Lesson learned, don't always follow Mo's NAV.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
buckerbie said:
The only time we ran into a problem was cutting through Seattle, the NAV sent us up a very steep San Francisco sized hill in a little residential neighborhood. Let's just say we didn't make it up the hill. :eek: As the car stopped moving forward even in the lowest gear, I quickly turned her into someone's driveway. After several attempts to turn the car and trailer around in the middle of the hill, we finally got the Mo facing downhill and back on the road. Lesson learned, don't always follow Mo's NAV.
buckerbie -

That had to be white-knuckle scary!

The NAV should have a trailering mode that avoids steep hills. :4:

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
buckerbie said:
The only time we ran into a problem was cutting through Seattle, the NAV sent us up a very steep San Francisco sized hill in a little residential neighborhood. Let's just say we didn't make it up the hill. :eek: As the car stopped moving forward even in the lowest gear...
I am wondering if it was the CVT that went into the limp mode under the load to protect itself.

Remember the commercial where they had several 4WD and AWD SUVs climb a steep ramp, and every single one did it, or at least their wheels spun, except for the MO which refused to climb alltogether?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
zebelkhan said:

I am wondering if it was the CVT that went into the limp mode under the load to protect itself.

Remember the commercial where they had several 4WD and AWD SUVs climb a steep ramp, and every single one did it, or at least their wheels spun, except for the MO which refused to climb alltogether?
That was the amusing Subaru propoganda ad - its on Youtube as "Subaru vs everyone else" - the Murano did not even spin its wheels at all as it got to the hill. It just refused to move, at which point the narrator sarcastically mocked the vehicle.

There was an account on this forum as well regarding a very steep driveway and a small trailer.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
zebelkhan-

Thanx for ruining my day by posting that vid!

That was a very pathetic performance by our beloved MO. :( At least if it showed a bit a wheel-spin I would have felt better.

What good are 245 ponies if they won't even leave the barn. :p

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
njjoe said:
That was a very pathetic performance by our beloved MO. :( At least if it showed a bit a wheel-spin I would have felt better.
Mine does perfectly well....

Going downhill.....:D

But kidding aside, I love my MO's performance, and I have had no trouble driving around in San Francisco streets....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Never saw that video before. Very interesting... Playing back the moments climbing up that hill in North Seattle, the Mo started climbing up OK from a complete stop. It never crossed my mind that I would not make it up the hill. All I could think of was - CRAP there's a stop sign at the top of hill where I would need to make a right turn on to a very busy street. OMG, hope no one comes up behind me because we are going to roll back in a big way... Nonetheless, we started up the hill OK in "L". The engine never revved any higher as the car just progressively slowed to a crawl and started losing forward momentum. We were halfway up the hill when I realized that we would start rolling backwards in a few seconds with a trailer in tow. Fearing that we would jack knife going backwards, I took my foot off the gas and then floored it again while making a sharp left turn into a residential driveway. Mo kind of "hurled" itself into the driveway. I figured it was the CVT. Nothing was slipping - the pavement was perfectly dry. A normal 2-wheel drive vehicle would have no trouble going up this hill.

I know from experience that the Mo has poor power in reverse. I've always had trouble backing the trailer up into my driveway. We have those rounded curbs in my neighborhood and if I back straight in, the front tires get caught in the gutter and the rear wheels just don't have sufficient power. It will eventually make it up the driveway but I could always smell something burning - antifreeze, tranny fluid, transfer case fluid... not sure what it was. I've had similar problems backing the trailer into campsites where the parking pad is a steep uphill climb.

On a separate note, my transfer case was replaced a week before this road trip. The local Nissan dealer couldn't fix a minor CVT leak and they finally blamed it on the transfer case and replaced it before my trip. This was another adventure during this trip because the mechanic at my dealership forgot to properly tighten the support brackets holding up the driveshaft when they put in the new transfer case. It held for 1500 miles - all the way to Victoria, BC. 5 minutes off the ferry and just outside of the city, the driveshaft fell down. Nissan road service was completely incompetent in dispatching a tow truck in Canada. It took 45 minutes of being on the phone (international roaming charges) and they sent out a small tow truck when I specifically demanded a flat bed trailer so that the tent trailer could also be towed. In the end the very nice folks at Campus Nissan in Victoria fixed the mishap free of charge. It wasn't warranty work since the breakdown was a result of the misrepair done in California. I'm currently working with the local dealer to get reimbursed for my out of pocket expenses that the Nissan North America Extended Service Contract wouldn't cover because I was in Canada. You would think that Canada would be covered in the North America warranty...:rolleyes: go figure

·
Registered
2 Posts
I want to buy a RV trailer for my 2016 Murano, but I don't know what weight limit to shop for. Seems like the towing limit is 1,500, so why do some say I can go up to 3,500? HELP.

·
Super Moderator
8,358 Posts
The towing weight level changed, I believe it was between the second and third series. There is still considerable debate about whether the mechanical situation changed or Nissan just decided to lower the recommended limit.

If you want to tow more than 1500 pounds, it's up to you. The trailer hitches are normally rated for at least 3K pounds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts