Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice on the Murano's real towing capacity. I am planning a move across country (well, from Evanston, IL to Mammoth Lakes, CA) and was thinking about renting a Uhaul trailer to help with the move. My question is what size/load do you think the Murano could handle safely? I don't want to mess up the Murano, but I would like to use it for what it can do. Here are the three biggest options from Uhaul's website:

6' x 12' trailer
Empty weight: 820 kg
Max load: 1,180 kg
Maximum Gross Weight (trailer plus load): 2000 kg
Tow hitch required: Class 2 (3,500 lb. minimum weight-carrying rating).
Hitch ball: 1 7/8, 2 or 2 1/8, (3,500 lb. minimum)

5' x 10' trailer
Empty weight: 570 kg
Max load: 700 kg
Maximum Gross Weight (trailer plus load): 1,270 kg
Tow hitch required: Class 2 (3,500 lb. minimum weight-carrying rating)
Hitch ball: 1 7/8, 2 or 2 1/8, (3,500 lb. minimum)

5' x 8' trailer
Empty weight: 410 kg
Max load: 815 kg
Maximum Gross Weight (trailer plus load): 1225 kg
Tow hitch required: Class 1 (2,000 lb. minimum rating)
Hitch ball: 1 7/8, 2 or 2 1/8 (2,000 lb. minimum)

What do you think? What could the "Mighty Murano" handle? ;)

Thanks!

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
FYI:

2000 Kg is more then the 3500 LBS the class 2 hitch supports.

the maximum in KG would be 1588..

the 6' x12'says it requires a class 2, but it goes up to 4400 lbs, thats way more then a class 2 could handle (it's in the class 3 range)

I'm not sure where you got the info from.. but I'd warn them that they are open to a good lawsuit if they published that information..

imagine what whould happen if you towed a fully loaded 6' x12', and blew the tramsmission.. then you said "hey.. you said I could tow the trailer with a class 2 hitch'.....

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
I spoke to Uhaul about the information they have published about the trailer, and accroding to the information on the web site, it is CORRECT for them.. they story was that the "occasionaly" tower of a trailer, is "FINE" to tow a trailer which is 1000lbs over the limit.
(due to convervative estimates, and there long company history etc.)

I spok to a gentlemen for a while, and they were not under the impression that there was anything wrong, and if you felt "uncomfortable" as a renter then go with one that is actually under the weight limit..

I for one would not not rent the 6' x 12', and in fact, I wouldn't rent from a company who would make claims like this.. wether you are towing 100 miles, or 100 feet. if you are over the weight for any time, you are exposing yourself to EXPENSIVE damage, that the dealer will not cover under warrenty, and I would expect uhaul to try and weasle out legally as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
darrylburke - Thanks for the info! But regardless of the rental company, what do you think is a safe load for a 2000 mile trip with the Murano?

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
put it this way.. I've towed a 3200 lb boat (195 lb trailer) with my MO (if you search you can find the original tread).. and I didn't have any problems.. now I was towing it a short distance, and wouldn't want to do a lot fo highway driving with it..) but anything form the 2200-2800 would be fine on the highways.... (i'd do it with no hesitation)

·
Registered
719 Posts
There's more to towing than just capacity, but the Murano handles very well when towing.

Bigger question in my mind is how much towing have you done as a driver?

I just started towing for the first time when I got the Murano last July. It's quite a learning experience if you've never done it.

Now that I've towed my middle son's stuff back and forth to college a couple of times (4x8 trailer), I'd feel comfortable taking the same size trailer anywhere.

My trailer is a "low" model however which allows me to see over the top of it. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel towing something across the country that I couldn't see over?

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
good point.. I guess I'm just assuming you've done a fair bit of towing (Jim)

I use my MO to tow a lot of stuff (large boat, small fishing boat, and snowmobile trailer)..

Like dklanecky1 says.. I guess it more in the experience you have that will impact "if you can do it.." then the size of the load.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Don't exceed 3,500 pounds

You're going to be putting 2000 miles of heavy duty usage on that CVT, so I wouldn't exceed Nissan's tow rating. Especially since you're moving to Mammoth Lakes (I envy you!) which is a 8,200 feet in elevation. Trust me... when you start climbing the grade from Lone Pine and get to around Bishop, you'll feel the power loss. And when you finally make that last pull up the grade from Bishop into Mammoth Lakes, it's fairly steep and you're probably not going to exceed 45 mph with a 3,500 pound load.

Bob

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
lotta good info in a small area up there ^ about towing.

In addition, make sure when you load the trailer you get about 10-15% tongue weight.
In other words, if the the whole shebang figures out to 2500 lbs, make sure the front of the trailer (tongue) weight is between 250-350 pounds.

Once you get above 2000 pounds I like to have AT LEAST "Surge Brakes".

Mammoth Lakes is high country. You can't get there downhill.

Take it very easy going up the mountains. Mountains and trailers are the best way to rip the guts out of a tranny.

Get the Oversized Mirrors. I know they look dorky. But DKs concern is very valid. He's done it. Listen to him. You need to see what is back there.

Drive it like a big rig.
Slow acceleration. Then you cruise fast,. But be advised you now weigh MUCH more than the Nissan Brake designers figured on. You WILL be pushed thru the intersection if you don't slow early.

And that's about it.
One final word, don't EVER, on your first trip, think you have this stuff mastered.

Homer

·
Registered
418 Posts
Towed my boat (approx.3,000 lbs) to the cottage last weekend...MO is an excellent tow vehicle...the smoothness of the CVT very evident; no hunting for gears or severe downshifting as in a conventional auto trans...big brakes were appreciated as well...only bummer; gas mileage @ 100kph dropped from normal 22 down to 16 mpg....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts