Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've searched this board and couldn't find any info on whether or not Nissan figures its maximum towing capacities after the tow vechicle has reached it payload maximum. So, I e-mailed Nissan and got the following response:

"The Payload Capacity is that of a fully loaded vehicle with occupants and any cargo. This is seperate from Tow Capacity as the Murano may have a fully loaded Payload, and still be capable of towing 3,500 pounds. Again, thank you for your interest regarding this vehicle."

This is good news. Domestic makers usually figure maximum towing on a completely empty and optionless vechicle. You must then subtract payload, options, fuel, etc. from the towing capacity.

Just thought I would share ...

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thanks!! This is good info to have as I often haul my 2,000 plus bass boat rig around and its nice to know that I can take the 3 guys max that the boat will hold and gear in the car and still tow without concern. Of course, then again, there was never any noticeable issue with the Murano's ability to tow in my experiences! Again, always good to get the official word. Certainly, Acura's MDX notes that its towing capacity (5,000 pounds) is based on a fully loaded vehicle. Maybe Nissan should advertise this as well?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have really been hesitant on buying anything except for a Subaru for this reason.

Subaru blatantly tells shoppers that their towing capacities are figured after a full payload.

I'm not sure why other manufacturers do not make similar notations.

The thing that I find to be hilarious is that some domestic trucks that claim to have high towing capacities do not have much more than vehicles such as the Murano or the Outback once you delete the payload, etc.

I tried to find a Web site that lists how all manufacturers figure their capacities but there is no such place. So, I got extremely frustrated and decided to e-mail Nissan and hope for the truth.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Since I have been told the limit on the CVT is torque, and some folks are morried that an increase in HP may over stress the CVT. I wonder if the great towing ability says something to the margin that Nissan has in the CVT, Might be Good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts