Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my '03 SL last July, I insisted on getting a Hidden Hitch 2in receiver installed, so as to support plugging in a rear swing-out cargo carrier that I purchased shortly afterwards. This cargo carrier is necessary when my wife & I go to her Camp 3.5hrs away, with our 3 large dogs taking up the bulk of space in the back.

This year, to handle carrying more materials, & potentially our 2 motorcycles (should we ever decide to trailer them somewhere) I purchased a 2001 Legend Thunder 6x13 cargo trailer (all aluminum). I went with this trailer 'cause it has the carrying capacity I want (to carry building materials or toys) & is very light (about 990lb) with its all aluminum construction.

We did our 1st trip with the trailer being towed behind the Murano yesterday, from Thunder Bay, ON to Geraldton, ON (about 300Km). Cargo consisted of a light couch, loveseat, & camping gear. Not much weight at all.

Mileage for the trip to camp, where I managed the throttle & kept speed between 80-90Kmh, was about 16mpg imperial (about 13.4mpg US). Mileage on the return trip, with LESS weight in the trailer but using cruise to maintain more or less steady 90Kmh, was about 14mpg imperial (about 11.7mpg US). Transmission appeared to have no issues pulling the trailer, with rpm's ranging from 1,500-2,000 for trip to camp (I let vehicle slow down on hills on trip there) & 1,500-3,900 on return trip (more interested in maintaining speed).

The only thing I can figure that's affecting the mileage so much, where my normal around town mileage is about 22mpg imperial & highway is high 20's to 30mpg imperial, is that the trailer is tall (6ft height inside) so it's towering above the Murano & the sail effect kicks in, where I'm pulling this large wind blocking sail (even though the trailer has a V front).

Now I don't plan on using this trailer a lot on the highway, but I'm wondering if adding some sort of removable air dam on the Murano's roof (I've seen these on other tow vehicles) would help lift air up so the trailer's not hitting it head on.

Regards
Gary K

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
It couldn't hurt to give it a try. From what I can think of there would be three things that would affect milage. Added weight (when climbing hills and accelerating); added rolling resistance and lastly wind resistance.

Once you have the extra weight up to speed; it will keep rolling fairly well. However, the added weight does come with added rolling resistance. The wind resistance is self explanatory.

So; while it may help in 1 area with milage but unfortunately it won't do too much in the other two areas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts