Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2010 Murano S with FWD and need to tow a U-Haul cargo trailer from Georgia to Wisconsin (850 miles). The empty trailer is 900 lbs and the cargo will be 700-900 lbs consisting of a full mattress & box spring, 4-person oak kitchen table w/ 4 chairs, oak end table, oak coffee table, TV, various kitchen stuff, desk chair and clothing.

The Murano is rated for up to 3,500; however, the manual stipulates that the trailer MUST have brakes if the trailer/cargo weight exceeds 1,000 lbs.

I have several questions:
  1. Is it safe to tow 1,600-1,800 lbs without trailer brakes?
  2. Will towing this weight damage the CVT?
  3. Should I adhere to any precautions such as stopping every hour or so to "rest" the CVT, drive 55 MPH, etc.?
  4. Other words of advice?
I could rent a U-Haul trailer with brakes but it weighs 1,920. I'm concerned the extra 1,000 lbs. would "strain" the Murano even more and the trailer would be 1/2 empty.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Super Moderator
8,989 Posts
Have you searched? There are extensive discussions about towing with the Muranos. But....

When I faced this with my 2007, I got the U-Haul 6x12 double axle trailer and it will had inertial brakes - as you start braking, the trailer moves forward toward the hitch slightly and activates the trailer's brakes.

Yes, it's 1600 pounds, but will the next size smaller (5x8) hold all your stuff? You think so, but check carefully. You may end up packing the interior of the Murano too. I agree that taking 700 pounds off the total load is a good idea.

If you drive smoothly, watch well ahead and brake smoothly you should be OK with the trailer at 1500 pounds, because if you think about it, that's probably what a 16 foot fiberglass boat with motor and basic trailer weighs, and people pull those back and forth to lakes all the time.

IMPORTANT: The tongue of the trailer MUST be at least 50-100 pounds heavy. If the trailer is not loaded slightly tongue heavy, when you brake that trailer will swerve all over the road and you may lose control. It should take a hefty lift effort on your part to get the tongue onto the hitch. I knew this, but confirmed it through experience.

I used a 2007 Murano to move my daughter from Fort Collins CO north of Denver to western Oklahoma and back. We had one of the 6x12 trailers and it pulled like a dream. Same for the return trip 8 months later (she was on an internship for U. of OK.) On the way there, we had four mounted street tires in the back of the trailer, and it swerved back and forth a bit the first time I used the brakes. Not enough tongue weight. We pulled over and I put all the tires in the back of the Murano, which unloaded the back of the trailer; it pulled beautifully after that. I'm confident that trailer was every bit of 3000 pounds, as it was loaded to the ceiling and the tailgate.

Towing is easy if you're alert. Watch ahead (as far down the road as you can see), never get into a situation where you have to brake hard, and don't try to accelerate fast. Take it easy on the car and transmission. You don't need to stop and rest, just don't try to drive 90 in a 75 zone, and don't try to go 75 uphill if you are having to push the car hard.

I and others here thin Nissan cut the towing load rating on the series 2 and 3 Muranos because of transmission problems that they wanted to cut down on. I doubt there's much actual difference in capability between the early and late Muranos, but IMO the ratings changed to protect Nissan.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I and others here thin Nissan cut the towing load rating on the series 2 and 3 Muranos because of transmission problems that they wanted to cut down on. I doubt there's much actual difference in capability between the early and late Muranos, but IMO the ratings changed to protect Nissan.
This. Nissan is tired of getting sued over their transmissions.

Reactions: Pilgrim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you searched? There are extensive discussions about towing with the Muranos. But....

When I faced this with my 2007, I got the U-Haul 6x12 double axle trailer and it will had inertial brakes - as you start braking, the trailer moves forward toward the hitch slightly and activates the trailer's brakes.

Yes, it's 1600 pounds, but will the next size smaller (5x8) hold all your stuff? You think so, but check carefully. You may end up packing the interior of the Murano too. I agree that taking 700 pounds off the total load is a good idea.

If you drive smoothly, watch well ahead and brake smoothly you should be OK with the trailer at 1500 pounds, because if you think about it, that's probably what a 16 foot fiberglass boat with motor and basic trailer weighs, and people pull those back and forth to lakes all the time.

IMPORTANT: The tongue of the trailer MUST be at least 50-100 pounds heavy. If the trailer is not loaded slightly tongue heavy, when you brake that trailer will swerve all over the road and you may lose control. It should take a hefty lift effort on your part to get the tongue onto the hitch. I knew this, but confirmed it through experience.

I used a 2007 Murano to move my daughter from Fort Collins CO north of Denver to western Oklahoma and back. We had one of the 6x12 trailers and it pulled like a dream. Same for the return trip 8 months later (she was on an internship for U. of OK.) On the way there, we had four mounted street tires in the back of the trailer, and it swerved back and forth a bit the first time I used the brakes. Not enough tongue weight. We pulled over and I put all the tires in the back of the Murano, which unloaded the back of the trailer; it pulled beautifully after that. I'm confident that trailer was every bit of 3000 pounds, as it was loaded to the ceiling and the tailgate.

Towing is easy if you're alert. Watch ahead (as far down the road as you can see), never get into a situation where you have to brake hard, and don't try to accelerate fast. Take it easy on the car and transmission. You don't need to stop and rest, just don't try to drive 90 in a 75 zone, and don't try to go 75 uphill if you are having to push the car hard.

Pilgram, I did a search prior to posting and saw To Tow Or Not To Tow? where you referenced your trip. Upon re-reading, it appears that you had the 6x12 U-haul trailer. My kid literally isn't taking much to WI as he plans to purchase stuff once he's there so I'm "sure" the 5x8 would work. He'll also be driving his car separately and can carry stuff. Trailer brakes would be a plus since surprises can happen. It's a shame the smaller trailer doesn't have them.

·
Super Moderator
8,989 Posts
Pilgram, I did a search prior to posting and saw To Tow Or Not To Tow? where you referenced your trip. Upon re-reading, it appears that you had the 6x12 U-haul trailer. My kid literally isn't taking much to WI as he plans to purchase stuff once he's there so I'm "sure" the 5x8 would work. He'll also be driving his car separately and can carry stuff. Trailer brakes would be a plus since surprises can happen. It's a shame the smaller trailer doesn't have them.
Jim, I think you will be OK as long as you drive defensively.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts