Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Anybody tow with your Murano?

CVTs are kind of new in this power class, and are unproved with towing.

Anybody tried it yet? If so, how heavy was your payload, how fast did you tow, how did it work etc...

I can't get any info from Nissan except the tow rating..

I need to be able to tow 3100lbs or so, though I don't tow that often

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
See this thread.

Good questions! I too would like to hear more reports. I imagine it does very well. The beauty of the CVT is it won't gear hunt. I have a small covered utility trailer for hauling appliances and lumber etc but have not had an occasion to use it with the MO yet ~6000 miles. I think it will do well. My Jeep Cherokee would gear hunt on hills and on level runs overdrive was marginal.

But I would not violate the Nissan TOW capacity. Only because I believe the CVT computer will change the CVT ratio based on it's many sensors within design limits. Don't know what it will do outside those limits. And I'm not a warranty expert, but I would think your covered if you stay inside the limits and not if you go over.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Enforcer said:
But I would not violate the Nissan TOW capacity. Only because I believe the CVT computer will change the CVT ratio based on it's many sensors within design limits. Don't know what it will do outside those limits. And I'm not a warranty expert, but I would think your covered if you stay inside the limits and not if you go over. [/B]
Thanks for the link.

I won't go over their rating, but thats not what I'm worried about. I'm worried about the CVT dying a premature death becasue it wasn't designed for towing... Maybe I'll have to be a guena pig..

Never owned a Nissan before, so I'm a little chicken.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I get my tow package installed on Wednesday. I will let you know how everything goes on Thursday. I will be towing a 5 x 8 trailer, and 2 Yamaha YZ 250 dirt bikes. The bikes weigh about 250 lbs each. Not sure how much trailer weighs but will try to find out.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
over the last 3 month's i've done quite a bit of towing with my MO..

1) 4x8 Trailer (SnowBear) loaded with about 200 lbs of stuff. (400lbs total). on the highway/city with no problems what so ever (I did have problems with the lights, but that was due to the dealer installing the wrong wiring box, which they are going to fix this week..)

2) 15" aluminum hunting boat which weights about 200 lbs, and trailer.. no problems what so ever.. lots of pickup (more then I expected).. no swaying or problems with breaking..

3) (THE BIG ONE) a 20" boat which weights 3500lbs with trailer (the max the MO can tow)... I usually use an expedition or trailblazer to tow the boat. but I had to make due in short notice do to the storm we had last week.. I towed the boat about 2 kms.. I woudln't want to be pulling that boat on the highway.. although I never felt unsafe.. you did have to be VERY carefully with breaking.. the pads wouldn't last long if you had to pull that for a long distance.. as for the acceleration.. I had to put in the AWD lock for pulling out of the water, and it crept out slowly.. you could tell the transmission was working hard (it was a fairly steep launch..) overall acceleration was ok.. not bad.. (almost closer to the trailblazer with the V6..) but still you could tell it was working hard..

FYI: the class 2 hitches are rated at 3500 lbs, and 300 lbs on the hitch

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
I put it in AWD lock before I even tried to get it out.. (if it was just front, then yes the front wheels would have lost traction) but with the AWD lock it was fine..

(Just checked the specs on the boat/trailer again, and the weight is 3300 lbs..)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts