Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard a strange thing the other day. Apparently, the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) is no longer offered on MY05 or 06 Murano's. In fact, rumor was that they won't be back until mandated by the Feds (i.e., NHTSA) for MY08 (or thereabouts). Anyone with an 05 notice they don't have the the TPMS or is my information just plain wrong?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Jim C said:
I heard a strange thing the other day. Apparently, the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) is no longer offered on MY05 or 06 Murano's. In fact, rumor was that they won't be back until mandated by the Feds (i.e., NHTSA) for MY08 (or thereabouts). Anyone with an 05 notice they don't have the the TPMS or is my information just plain wrong?
Maybe Nissan feels that the Mark 1 hand pressure gauge is less hassle than all the electronic monitoring

·
Registered
67 Posts
My 05 has TPMS.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'd rather use an analog gauge. Cheaper too.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I think its actually a good idea - I could not stand paying for the TPMS, which was bundled with VDC (which I did want). I can see how TPMS would be useful to other owners though, who don't check their tire pressure.

·
4,601 Posts
Maybe they're not selling enough FX's so they're trying to push people "up" (I'm not sure if this is the right direction) to an FX to get the toys.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Did they delay the implementation of the law?

I thot it was to go into effect with the 2006's.
And that is what this piece says........

Homer

"NHTSA Releases Final Tire Pressure Monitoring Rule

NHTSA Releases Final Tire Pressure Monitoring Rule

All passenger cars will have tire pressure monitoring systems beginning with the 2006 model year according to a new motor vehicle safety standard by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA.)

The regulation will require that manufacturers install a system that can detect when one or more of the vehicle’s tires are 25 percent or more below the recommended inflation pressure.

Phase-in of the new regulation will begin Sept. 1, 2005. All new 4-wheeled vehicles weighing 10,000 pounds or less must be equipped with the monitoring system by the 2008 model year.

According to NHTSA, under-inflated tires can adversely affect fuel economy, lead to skidding and loss of control and hydroplaning on wet surfaces. It can also increase stopping distance and the likelihood of tire failures.

NHTSA estimates that about 120 lives a year will be saved when all new vehicles are equipped with the tire pressure monitoring systems. In addition, consumers should see improved fuel economy and increased tire life. The manufacturers’ average cost per vehicle is estimated to be between $48.44 and $69.89, depending on the technology used.

The tire pressure monitoring system was required by Congress when it enacted the Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability, and Documentation (TREAD) Act in 2000. The new regulation can be found at: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/rulings/TPMSfinalrule.6/TPMSfinalrule.6.html."

·
Registered
781 Posts
I love America!

(Huge blanket statement coming - do not read if easily offended)

Our citizens don't realize the importance of properly maintained equipment so let's make it the manufacturers responsibility. Yet one more thing to add to a car that will cause an issue. Look at the number of complaints there have been on the Nissan system. What happens when Susie knows that:

Tire A = Front Left
Tire B = Front Right
Tire C = Rear Left
Tire D = Rear Right

And then she gets them rotated. Later develops a slow leak and now Tire C is the Left Front....

Or what happens when the system doesn't work.

And...why should I be forced to pay (do you really think it is only going to cost ~ $100) extra money to have this 'feature' installed when I have 3 or 4 perfectly capable tire gauges in my cars/garage?

Stupid.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Homer:

The only rule out there right now appears to be a proposed rulemaking. While the comment period on the notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM) has closed, NHTSA does not appear to have issued a final rule as of yet. While I have not extensively researched this, it would appear that with just an NPRM published, the TPMS requirements are not in place. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/rulings/Index_tire.html

Even after they are in place, if they follow the schedule proposed by NHTSA, a phase-in of the TPMS requirements does not require all vehicles to comply until model year 2008. This could mean that some vehicles (including the Murano) may have TPMS yanked if costs do not warrant their inclusion in vehicles until mandated.

I had heard a rumor that Nissan may pull the TPMS in models as early as 05's. I was just trying to substantiate whether there was any truth to this. It will be interesting to see if TPMS is pulled on the 06's.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
"And then she gets them rotated. Later develops a slow leak and now Tire C is the Left Front...."

Not all system work like that. My Phaeton tells you the pressure on each tire location. After rotation, It automatically "Learns" the new locations, including the spare. Seems that they put a code bit in each sender so that they are tracking receiver positions not tire signals alone. It may be (but I don't know) that many systems do that. to provide better info. My screen identifies which "Tire" has what pressure as compared to a list that makes you guess.
(At least I seem to have to guess until I located what was where by letting air out, repressurizing and making a notation)

Regarding price as a former employee of companies supplying Air bags, Seatbelts and Initiators I feel that a $100 is adequate for the required wiring, sensors, transmitters, etc. by the time the systems are fully developed and in volume production.

I bought an Aftermarket unit for my 04 a long time ago (The advantage PressurePro) for about $350 retail One of the very first on the market with the major cost being in the Control / Display unit. (such cost are mainly eliminated in a OEM unit) and the volume is pitiful as compared to a Delphi or Seimens Volume. Indivual marketing on the Web added a complete additional layer of costs, not present in a mandiated device fitted by the OEM.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I don't doubt the system will cost $100 for the manufacturer - how much is it going to cost me?

The more I think about it the better the systems will have to be. There will be competition between manufacturers which will hopefully drive a better product (although most will be outsourced to smaller companies).

I've been on a rampage about stupid laws lately. I'm thinking Mr. Darwin might have been on to something.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts