Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like to share my experience yesterday. It hit me hard and realized that I was fortunate.

I had a punctured right front tire yesterday while driving 70 on the freeway. The TPMS(Tire Pressure Monitoring System) suddenly beeped loudly and I didn't know what it was so I immediately pulled over to the shoulder. I was startled that it beeped really loud. If I didn't have the warning and when i felt my car running funny, I would have kept on driving to a safer area like the nearest exit...and probably damaged my rims doing just that or worst, i might of had an accident.

I also realized that I didn¡¯t belong to any roadside assistant program. Try changing your spare on a narrow shoulder, I wouldn't recommend it. It¡¯s not worth your life trying to save $60 for a towing. I also got to thinking, what if this happened to my wife? I travel a lot on business and if something happened like this to my wife while I was away, she couldn't call me. So I call my mobile phone carrier, T-mobile and got their road side assistant program for 2.99 per month for my wife. It includes free tire change, free gas upto 3 gal. and free towing upto $50 and its tie to your phone. I think its worth it now that I had this experience.

Also, the Murano tires are hard to come by here in Seattle area. I called almost every tire dealer, and all of them said its an unusual size, and only Goodyear carry that size, so they would have to special order and takes 5-7 business days. I had a spare on, and I didn't want to drive too long with it plus most of my commute is on the freeway so I needed a tire right away.

I'm happy to report that Campbell Nelson Nissan dealer here in the Seattle area provided me with the tire after calling all Nissan dealers here. They were the only one willing to help me with my tire dilemma. It cost me $220 out the door but I was relived to say I feel better.

Few things I like to recap:

-Please get some sort of roadside assistance program for your loved one. (AAA, mobile carrier, etc.) and have it programmed to your cell phone.

-Tire for Murano, at least here in Seattle area is scarce at this time(I heard its because its on back order) so plan ahead when needing new tires. They should cost on the avg. of $130-140 out the door or 105+shipping from tirerack.com

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had another Murano pass me on the highway yesterday, and a few minutes later, I noticed black smoke coming from it (it was about 1/4 mile in front of me). I raced up to the other vehicle, which was cruising at ~ 70 mph, in the middle lane, since I thought that it was odd that a VQ engine was blowing smoke.

As I got close to it, the Mo got off at an exit, as if there was no problem at all. And then I noticed where the smoke was coming from. The left year tire was blown, and it was clear the driver had no idea. As the Mo got off the exit, it was still going 50 mph.

I guess the Mo rides great, even without a tire.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
I'm glad to hear that you are OK. I had TPMS yell at me on a cold Pittsburgh morning. It scared the crap out of me as I was pulling out of the driveway. The tire pressure dropped below 28 PSI and it squaked. It's a great system to have in a car. I'm glad the 8 has it too...it's just not as pretty as the NAV equipped MOs.

·
4,601 Posts
Makes me happy to have a full sized spare too! I don't know why the US Muranos didn't get it. Might be interesting to know if the european Muranos have a full size spare.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts