Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor System) however I do not want the touring package. Does anyone know if this can be installed after-market? Are the sensors in the tires the only thing that is missing, or does the onboard computer need to be different?

What about aftermarket monitoring systems? Has anyone installed a system other than the built-in Nissan option?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

~ Corin

·
Registered
717 Posts
Smart Tire makes a nice aftermarket system that I installed on my 00 Maxima SE and have been using for a couple of years without any issues.

I think you can see it at their web site and I think Tire Rack also has them for sale.

Largest issue was getting someone to install it as it does require some extra care when mounting dismounting tires from the wheels.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
194 Posts
I thought all cars made after 2003 had to have the TPMS as a Federal mandate. I thought it was implemented like the third brake light on all new vehicles and I thought it was a direct result of what happened with all the Ford explorers flipping over.

·
Registered
717 Posts
There is a federal mandate but I think the drop dead date is more like 2006 before they have to be installed in new cars.

·
4,601 Posts
I've wondered what's involved and the cost to retrofit. You'd need the four wheel sensors installed, and there's the module that does the TPMS. I suspect since it would just be another device on the CAN Bus, that it could be added easily. Also, there is an antenna run in the roof of the Murano, and I don't know that this is installed, or if it would be tough to put in.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Jaak! Greatly appreciated.

It appears as though the control unit is separate from anything else (i.e. the central computer). If that's actually the case then most likely this is not just a simple thing to do. Bummer. :(

I'll have to see if I can get someone to install it after-market. There are after-market systems that I could get, but I would rather have it integrated with everything else. :4:

~ Corin

·
4,601 Posts
I couldn't see a part number for the control unit. I'd consider buying one and a sensor, if the price is not outragous, just to see if it can be added.... If it worked, I'd get the rest of the sensors.

Know anyone that rents Muranos? (With the Low Tire Pressure Monitoring System...) :12:

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jaak said:
Know anyone that rents Muranos? (With the Low Tire Pressure Monitoring System...) :12:
My favourite "Hot Wheels" car!
Wow, you're "Hot Wheels" tagline just took on a new meaning for me! :22:

~ Corin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts