Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 5+ years, my wife's Murano started showing some cracks on tires. Nissan Dealer says we must get the TPMS "rebuild" when we get new tires. I also called a nearby tire shop (a major one, Ameri....Tires) and was told that it would be an option but highly recommended. It is really necessary to rebuild TPMS every time I replace tires?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
It is really necessary to rebuild TPMS every time I replace tires?
Nope, that's pure BS. Unless one or more of the sensors is acting up on you which, if they are only 5 years old, shouldn't be the case. Always a good idea to remind any tire installer that you have TPMS sensors, however, to minimize them being broken. But these days, TPMS sensors are so common, this reminder really shouldn't be necessary.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I wouldn't say it's complete bs. I've seen brand new cars less than a year old with bad TPMS sensor batteries, etc. On my 2004 I replaced two sensors within the last 2 years. Depending on how much you drive it, batteries don't last forever. I usually recommend them with new tires. Give the customer the option. Because to replace one, it's basically dismounting a tire so labor is done.

Your choice though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I'm just saying it's BS based on my (albeit VERY limited sample of one!) experience, Izzy. I had tires put on when my 04 was 4 1/2 years old and had 61K miles on the OEM GY's. That was in March, 2009, and I went another 5 years - up until about a year ago - before I saw ANY TPMS anomalies at all. That was when one of them stops functioning every time I drive the car about 20 miles. Then I get a TPMS malfunction light which I either live with or clear simply by turning the car off and then back on. I get no annoying audible alarm (as with a flat tire) - simply a light telling me one TPMS has stopped working.

I don't know for sure (since my Cooper tires are still in fine shape 50K miles later, and I haven't been sufficiently motivated to get the TPMS sensors checked yet), but my guess would be the sensor batteries are starting to go, even though only one is acting up. I'm actually pretty impressed those batteries lasted almost 10 years. In fact, 3 of them are still working perfectly, and the car is now going on 10 1/2 years old.

I guess based on hindsight and Turbizzy's advice, when I got my new tires back in 09, I should have had new batteries put in all 4 TPMS sensors. So maybe it IS a little harsh saying it's pure BS your dealer wants to `rebuild' (assuming that means putting fresh batteries in) the sensors, even though they are only 5 years old and still working fine.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Unfortunately tpms sensor batteries are not replaceable and require replacing the entire sensor typically around 80-100 a pop at a dealer. I have used aftermarket ones for half that just gotta make sure its compatible with your specific vehicle as there are many different frequencies they work at.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your feedback. I am bit confused. Turbizzy, you say "Batteries are NOT replaceable and each sensor cost $100..." but my Nissan dealer and also Ameri..Tires quote $15-20 per tire to "rebuild" TPMS. I kept thinking "rebuild" meant replacing battery. Am I missing anything?:eek:

BTW, my wife doesn't drive much. Her Murano is 2009 and so far she put 35K miles over 5 years. Tires have threads but start showing some cracks. I believe they are ok for a while but my wife wants to get new ones.

·
Super Moderator
7,720 Posts
At 5-6 years old, tires are beginning to harden and lose their designed performance. Any significant cracking on sidewalls is a signal that it's time to replace them.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Thank you for your feedback. I am bit confused. Turbizzy, you say "Batteries are NOT replaceable and each sensor cost $100..." but my Nissan dealer and also Ameri..Tires quote $15-20 per tire to "rebuild" TPMS. I kept thinking "rebuild" meant replacing battery. Am I missing anything?:eek:

BTW, my wife doesn't drive much. Her Murano is 2009 and so far she put 35K miles over 5 years. Tires have threads but start showing some cracks. I believe they are ok for a while but my wife wants to get new ones.

Interesting. Not sure what they mean by rebuilding them but they are NOT serviceable however I have seen some people take them apart and solder in new batteries but I don't expect too many shops doing this.

Check out this link I found:
https://tpmsdirect.wordpress.com/tag/battery-life/

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello Turbizzy,

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Schrader-34000-Aluminum-Clamp--Sensor/dp/B007NK2L66/ref=sr_1_2/178-0076955-3116441?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1424467570&sr=1-2&keywords=tpms+kit[/ame]

I found out that both dealers and Americatires were talking about something similar to the above link. If I want to replace the battery, I have to get the whole sensor. In this case, your link (TPMSDirect) is much cheaper than Dealer. $68 per tire vs Dealer's $120 per tire:eek: According to TPMSDirect, the battery life is 5 to 7 years and my wife's Murano was bought in Sept. 2009. Kinda close to its life??

Hi Pilgrim,

I know I have to replace the tires soon. As soon as I am done with my research (so that I don't pay unnecessary $$ to tire shops), I will get them replaced. I don't want my wife to get into troubles because of old tires.:D

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Replace them when they go bad. Not just because of their age or the fact that you're replacing tires. They all try and pad the sale by adding the "rebuild" charge you don't need.

·
Registered
195 Posts
So what's the "rebuild" charge for if they don't replace them nor change batteries because they're not serviceable?

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
If I were you guys I would save my money and just put a tape over the TPMS light and ignore it! Unless there is buzzer too, which then makes it really annoying. Just check your tire pressures once a week and visually every time you get in it and you will be fine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So what's the "rebuild" charge for if they don't replace them nor change batteries because they're not serviceable?
Discounttires will replace rubber seals but not batteries. Each tire costs an extra $15 including the rebuild kit. They say it is to prevent leak.>:D

·
Registered
192 Posts
Last year the TPMS light came on in my 07 Maxima, this year my09 Murano TPMS light just came on. I check the pressure weekly in the winter, not sure I want to pay all that money for repairs. The battery should be replaceable

·
Super Moderator
7,720 Posts
Well, batteries in anything are technically replaceable if you're good enough to dismantle the device, find batteries of matching size, voltage and capacity, solder them into the circuit, then re-assemble the unit.

It's just that some devices are designed for to make this process part of normal maintenance, some are not.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If I were you guys I would save my money and just put a tape over the TPMS light and ignore it! Unless there is buzzer too, which then makes it really annoying. Just check your tire pressures once a week and visually every time you get in it and you will be fine.
This is my fix for both cars. Been driving 45 years without tpms, a few more won't matter

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I just had to have a sensor on my Titan done today. Battery isn't servicable so it cost me about $200. Light is gone! They did try just resetting it and a few miles down the road it came back on so....replacement was the only cure.

·
Registered
240 Posts
A discussion like this, I assume TPMS couldn't be disabled or by-passed. Will it fail car inspection if the light is on?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts