Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
The TPMS monitors and displays the tire pressure on all your tires. It will flash a warning on your display if any tire has it's pressure drop too low (not sure what that pressure # is). The TPMS is the valve stem assembly on the wheels, that transmit a signal to the car's computer to report the pressure.

Unfortunately, the display is lame, since it doesn't identify which tire it is reporting the tire pressure for. I do know that the 3rd line is for the front driver side tire (since I have a small leak there). I'm sure someone else can say provide the rest.

I'm not sure if the TPMS can be transfered to a different wheel from stock Nissan.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I believe they are in no specific order. If you rotate the tires the display stays the same. So the easiest way to find out is to let some air out of 1 tire at a time and then you will know where each one is. What I want to know is has anyone had to replace the batteries yet? If so how much were they and how long did they actually last? :cool:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Strange thing happened to me yesterday. My tires are at 32 pps. I measured the pressure with my digital gauge. As I started driving from work, the warning sign came on. The TPMS showed that all my tires are at 27pps, but one of them is flat. I stopped at a gas station and checked the pressure. All were at 32. Then I noticed that there is a nail in one of the tires. The pressure, however, was not dropping.

So, I installed a replacement tire, but I still have the warning light on.

Two questions - why is my TPMS showing 27pps when it actually is 32? Was I right to replace the tire? (I am going to have the nail removed and tire fixed on Saturday).

Thanks!

·
Love to live w/ MO
419 Posts
here is the sequence on factory default

LF LR RF RR

now if you rotate the tires (which i did) then you would need to go to the dealership to re-programme the TPMS for you. its free under warranty and 15$ if out of warranty. then it will go back to factory default settings.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
I identified my wheels

1. Add pressure to one wheel at a time and determine which shows at which position on the screen.

2. Move the wheels so that they now match what you want . I chose :

RF
LF
RR
LR

3. I then scribed this location on each wheel on the inside.

4. When IT comes time to rotate the tires that is what I do Rotate the tire not the wheels.,

Now All is always all right with my display and know what it means. It also provides a time to inspect the inside of the tire. PLus I always removed the wheels when I did my monthly wheel welll wash and inner wheel well proteterant application.

Don

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I think the TPMS is very conservative and displays a lower pressure than actual. I have used three separate high quality guages and they each read ~2-3psi higher than what the TPMS display is showing. No matter, I just inflate my tires to keep the TPMS happy (it will trigger the warning at 20% low pressure, or 27psi, from the recommended 33psi). Recently the weather has gotten colder and I used to have the tires at 36/34 (according to TPMS) but now its reading 33/31. Time to crack out the compressor tonight and reinflate.

·
Registered
133 Posts
MTMURANO said:
How does the TPMS work? Is it possible to change wheels and tires and still have it work.
Just in case you are still wondering... Yes, you can replace rims and tires, but you have to get the TPMS xfer'd to your new set for it to work. Some shops charge for that, but I was able to get my local Discount Tire to do it for free as part of my rim/tire purchase.

One other note... I was told they may not work with all rims. The guys as Discount Tire were very helpful when I was ordering my TIS rims. They called the manufacturer to verify that the rims were compatible with a TPMS. Think it has to do with the spacing between rim and tire. Not sure how valid that is though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts