Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little help. I am new to the site and I am looking at getting either a 2005 SE AWD or 2005 SL AWD. The only thing that I am concerned about is traction control. The SE has the VDC package so I know that it has all the traction controls, tire pressure monitoring, and brake assist. The SL doesn't have the VDC so I was wondering if it has some sort of traction control.

I am trying to make this decision very soon because I am going to the dealer tonight to look around and drive.

Another question that I have is what would be the advantage of getting the SE over the SL besides the stiffer, sportier suspension? I know on the SE you can select what gear you want using the selector, but I have read that with the SL you can use the selector and put it in the S driving mode for sportier transmission.

I am having a hard time to decide. One of the local dealers has the SE for $30, 798 and the SL is $30,998. I am going to drive them both tonight. Let me know. Thanks!

-James

·
Registered
485 Posts
With the AWD, you don't really need traction control as much, so I wouldn't stress about it. The other functions of VDC are nice (anti-skid/spin and Active Braking Limited Slip (ABLS)), but those don't seem a priority to you. If I could have VDC I would, but I don't like leather nor sun roofs.

I much prefer the SE's suspension and the "S" mode on the tranny, hence I got a 2003 SE so I could have both. The SL had way way too much nose dive and body roll for my taste (I drive my Mo more like a ralley car than a big SUV :D ), and that synthetic 6-speed thingie defeats the whole point of having the CVT (when in "S" mode, the engine is always poised for maximum acceleration or engine braking, it's like it's absolutely always in the perfect gear for performance driving, far better than any 6-speed setup).

All this of course IMHO ;)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I would highly recommend VDC. Its true you don't need it most of the time, but the one time it does come into play, it might save your life.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Maybe I just enjoy living dangerously, but I don't have my kids wear bike helmets on the playground, I don't lock the front door when I'm at home during the day, I occationally drive way over the speedlimit, and I don't have VTC. Just because there's a remote chance something will save your life doesn't mean one should bend over backwards to have it without doing a proper risk/cost analysis. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
VDC is certainly nice, but I think the more important thing is which vehicle you prefer IGNORING the VDC.

Meaning, would you rather have the slightly rougher ride, slightly better handling, and gear selection of the SE, or would you rather have the smoother ride, slightly more body lean, and Ds & L where you don't have to shift at all?

I just think that the other options will matter a lot more to you in the long run than having VDC or not.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
By the way, since you're already doing AWD, remember that both vehicles will automatically kick power to the rear wheels if the front ones start slipping, and all 4 wheels have anti-lock brakes.

·
Registered
485 Posts
And EBD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, thanks for all of the quick responses everyone! I would personally like to have the SE model, but the only thing holding me back from getting it is the fact that it is Sunlit Copper with the Cabernet leather. I don't really know how I feel about these colors. The SL has everything I want except the VDC and it is in the color that I want, Midnight Blue with Cafe Latte' leather. If the SE was in a color combo that I liked it would be a no brainer. Unfortunately I have a hard decision to make here.

Is there anything that anyone else can add about either of these models to sway my decision one way?

I currently live in Maryland and have about a 30-40min commute to work. It snows here, but in the past couple years it hasn't been too bad. That is the reason that I would really like to have the VDC on the vehicle. That and because my wife and I are planning on starting a family in the very new future.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
485 Posts
If you're routinely going to be playing in low traction situations, VDC seems a must to me. I live in CA, so I only get 'low traction situations' when I go looking for them intentionally :D .

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
watkinsjc said:

Is there anything that anyone else can add about either of these models to sway my decision one way?

Thanks again everyone!
I think you'll find that the folks who have the SL's, swear by them, and the folks who have the SE's, adore them!

You'll find very few unbiased thoughts about the model lines here

(although there's a few who got the "S" model and wished they would have upgraded).

Personally, I vote for the SE, cause SL's suck (jk)!:21:

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
If I lived in Md or some other place where people like to live in snowy, icy weather, I would get the VDC.

As to the SE.
It does not have a more sophisticated suspension.
It just has truck like shocks, etc to make it ride hard.
When a road with expansion joints is encountered, many SE pilots claim they reach sexual satisfaction.
We had a poll awhile back and 80% indicated that that is the only sex they have had.

Homer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hfelknor said:
If I lived in Md or some other place where people like to live in snowy, icy weather, I would get the VDC.

As to the SE.
It does not have a more sophisticated suspension.
It just has truck like shocks, etc to make it ride hard.
When a road with expansion joints is encountered, many SE pilots claim they reach sexual satisfaction.
We had a poll awhile back and 80% indicated that that is the only sex they have had.

Homer
Whoah, I never wanted to live in MD. I hate the North and the snow that comes with it. I got ordered to go here 2 years ago by the Marine Corps.

The rest of your post was funny as hell!:2:

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Hello fellow MD...

watkinsjc : Whoah, I never wanted to live in MD. I hate the North and the snow that comes with it. I got ordered to go here 2 years ago by the Marine Corps. The rest of your post was funny as hell!

Hi there, since I reside in MD (Annapolis), so I understand your dillema. I have the SL AWD but no VDC. If you ask me to buy another murano all over again with/without VDC, my answer is: "it depends".

When I bought my murano, i want the final price to be under $30K on-the-road and it must have AWD. So, the only way I can achieve that is by forgoing the VDC (because the dynamic vehicle package can only be obtained with the higher SL trim model and the price will go $33K+). For that price, I'd just get the lexus RX330 with a little more money. ;).

I am happy with my choice.
AWD will do just find in MD winter. With winter tire, you can survive a blizzard in upstate new england area. The AWD is good enough to handle my winter snowstorm roadtrips passing the MD-PA-OH turnpike. On rainstrom days, you just need to SLOW DOWN at the curves. I dont drive my Murano as aggresively as when I drive my miata; I drive defensively.

VDC/TC is nice to have, I totally agree. But 10 yrs ago, ppl have no TC/VDC and they drove just fine. If I buy another murano AND there is a certain preset budget, I will still buy an SL AWD with no TC/VDC.

Since it seems that you have no preset budget, why you limit yourself on the two 2005 Muranos? Instead of chossing between SL/SE, with or without VDC/TC, color you like/dislike, can't you find an SL with dynamic package (TC/VDC) AND in the color that you want at another dealership?

There are Nissan dealerships in VA area too. Don't be rushed, find the car that you want. Good luck :2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Hello fellow MD...

SugarRushMurano said:

Hi there, since I reside in MD (Annapolis), so I understand your dillema. I have the SL AWD but no VDC. If you ask me to buy another murano all over again with/without VDC, my answer is: "it depends".

When I bought my murano, i want the final price to be under $30K on-the-road and it must have AWD. So, the only way I can achieve that is by forgoing the VDC (because the dynamic vehicle package can only be obtained with the higher SL trim model and the price will go $33K+). For that price, I'd just get the lexus RX330 with a little more money. ;).

I am happy with my choice.
AWD will do just find in MD winter. With winter tire, you can survive a blizzard in upstate new england area. The AWD is good enough to handle my winter snowstorm roadtrips passing the MD-PA-OH turnpike. On rainstrom days, you just need to SLOW DOWN at the curves. I dont drive my Murano as aggresively as when I drive my miata; I drive defensively.

VDC/TC is nice to have, I totally agree. But 10 yrs ago, ppl have no TC/VDC and they drove just fine. If I buy another murano AND there is a certain preset budget, I will still buy an SL AWD with no TC/VDC.

Since it seems that you have no preset budget, why you limit yourself on the two 2005 Muranos? Instead of chossing between SL/SE, with or without VDC/TC, color you like/dislike, can't you find an SL with dynamic package (TC/VDC) AND in the color that you want at another dealership?

There are Nissan dealerships in VA area too. Don't be rushed, find the car that you want. Good luck :2:
I do sort of have a budget. I am looking at the 2005's because of the $1000 rebate that Nissan is offering right now. I have looked at all dealerships in a 100 mile radius of me and no one has a SL or SE in Midnight Blue with Cafe Latte' Leather with the touring package and the VDC package.

I have limited myself to these two vehicles because I am looking at Carmax. The one in WhiteMarsh sells new Nissans. I will give you an example of the price on the SL that they have.

2005 SL AWD Midnight Blue with Cafe Latte' Leather and the touring package. (Everything I want except the VDC)
MSRP: $35,940
Invoice: #32,761
No Haggle Price: $30,998
Savings from MSRP: $4,942

I called my bank and they said that was a very good deal. My bank has a vehicle negotiation service and they said that is lower than they can get that vehicle for. I have a vehicle that I have to trade in as well. These are some of the reasons that I am limited. A local dealer has the same exact SL but they are selling it for over $36,000. Plus they were gonna screw me on my trade.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
up here in alberta canada winters are harsh(i can see by lookin outside, let me paint you a picture of what the weather is like outside my window- blowing snow and minus 14 degrees celcius(windchill feels like minus 25)) our previous murano only had the AWD and it plowed through the snow(but i strongly recommend snow tires, the stock goodyears imo are horrendous). we just recently got the MO SE with VDC and so far i have only had one chance to test it out. it was a slippery road and i gave it some gas and the tires were spinning, the TC part of the system didn't turn on for reasons i don't know. i think the VDC is over rated unless it saves my life some day. just use the AWD lock mode instead and you'll be perfectly fine. so go with the sl and save some money. VDC-not worth it.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
There is a lot of talk here about how VDC is intrusive and how people don't like computers driving the car for them. Well the truth is that VDC is intrusive only if you are racing on a track and you actually want to get a little out of control to take advantage of momentum for better cornering. Otherwise, for street driving, VDC is all but invisible until you actually need it.

Nissan's VDC is pretty slow to react, like nissanlove says, and often times even on slippery snow/ice I can kick the tail out when accelerating through a turn, and correct it myself by countersteering without even having VDC kick in. If I wanted to be brave, I suppose I could wait until the slide got even worse, and then the SLIP light will begin flashing and in a cacophony of ABS chatter, the vehicle magically corrects itself. But those are all situations where I am going relatively slowly, and was anticipating a slide.

Where VDC really has value is for those maneuvers you were not expecting, such as swerving to avoid an accident, if you were carrying just a little too much speed exiting the highway on an icy circle off-ramp, etc...thats where you will likely be startled (because you were not expecting it) and will not have time to react before VDC prevents a dangerous spin.

In the end, its up to the buyer. I'm sure there were people in the 1960's who said seatbelts were not needed, or people in the 1990's who said airbags kill more people than they save (I guess some people still think that today :rolleyes: ), people in the past 20 years who think they are superman and can pump the pedal faster than ABS can (news - you can't), and of course there will be those in 2005 who say VDC is bad to have. Its a safety device, and no matter how good a driver you are (we have some track racers here who no doubt are accomplished drivers), I would not place a monetary cost on a safety device that could save your life when you least expect it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Clarification

Can I assume that when you say that the SL doesn't come with VDC, that you mean that the stock vehicles in your area don't have an SL with VDC? Just wanted to make sure since on both our 2003 and 2005 SL AWD's, both have the VDC.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Re: Clarification

doublemo said:
Can I assume that when you say that the SL doesn't come with VDC, that you mean that the stock vehicles in your area don't have an SL with VDC? Just wanted to make sure since on both our 2003 and 2005 SL AWD's, both have the VDC.
I am pretty sure that is the latter. The original poster does clarify that he only wanted 05 murano because of the good deals AND unfortunately he can only find an SL AWD model with NO VDC package at carmax. Scroll up 4 post for his explanation....

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Mr3Putt said:

I think you'll find that the folks who have the SL's, swear by them, and the folks who have the SE's, adore them!

You'll find very few unbiased thoughts about the model lines here
Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I think I had a pretty unbiased review of the two.

Because my previous cars were all Manual transmissions, I really wanted the SE. I noticed VERY little difference in the handling/stiffness of the suspension between the two when driving them back-to-back, so it was the "manual-mode" that I was really looking at.

Then I rented (from Enterprise) an SL model for a weekend to have a nice long test drive in typical conditions (rather than short test-drives). After using the SL for normal driving, it completely changed my mind and I decided to get the SL. I've been happy with my choice, although I've been toying with Jaak's idea of connecting some levers to have both! :p

I thought I would want to switch "gears" a lot when driving, to give me more control over the vehicle. I really hate traditional automatics that hunt for gears when going up hills or when punching the accelerator to pass. But in my SL I've never felt that it was in the "wrong" gear. I've wanted better pickup in some situations (like passing), but the Ds works perfectly for this.

I would say SE is the way to go ONLY if you REALLY want to play with these gear settings a lot. I felt it was fun on test drives, but normal driving I would simply never use it. I use Ds quite a bit, though.

SE/SL aside, I would say get the color you want rather than worrying about VDC. Which one is going to make you enjoy your vehicle more in the long run?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts