Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday trading my 02 pathfinder for a 05 murano.. I can't help but think I am nuts.. what do you think...:(

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Depends whether you want a truck or a car. Whether you go (really) off road. The new Pathfinder is a huge vehicle, not very economical, and still a big truck.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Why the :( ? If your current driving includes any regular off road use you may be nuts! ;) If not, I think you'll be happy with the MO.

You're giving up some utility but gaining improved ride, handling, power and particularly style. Enjoy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks.. off road days are long over. I do like the idea of still having something of a truck that gets better gas milage.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
jm2730 said:
Saturday trading my 02 pathfinder for a 05 murano.. I can't help but think I am nuts.. what do you think...:(
I'ds say yes..you are nuts...:D But then again who isn't?

Welcome to the forum. Most of us are nuts about our MOs, and if we don't admit to it, our better halfs will remind us of that. Get the MO and enjoy it. It is a truely nice car, no matter what kind of issues it may have....Have fun driving it and don't forget to post pictures....:)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Seeing how the Murano outperforms the 'Finder in almost every capacity (except for offroading and towing) I don't think you'll miss the Pathy much.

Enjoy the ride, whichever you decide. :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I sat in back of a pathfinder during a test drive about 2 years ago, I found it to be somewhat cramped compared to my Murano. The Murano is also easier to get in and out of than most truck based vehicles.

·
Registered
781 Posts
The CVT scares me.

With that said, we haven't had an ounce of trouble with it. I don't like seeing what places are charging for a replacement. I'd prefer a more conventional transmission.

But the CVT s silky smooth. No shifts. It just goes. It took a lot of getting use to. I can only think of a few trans issues that have been reported here. I'm sure there are a handful more out there - but probably more that haven't had any problem.

If the aftermarket were more friendly to the Murano - I'd probably buy another. I need something else to work on :rolleyes:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Pathfinder vs. Murano

When I started Looking at new vehicles, My wife and I went looking at the Pathfinder,. We had a 98 Pathfinder before our last vehicle and really liked it. We thought we could get a good deal because of the 05 Model change. We got in the backseat and realized why we got rid of it in the first place. Way too cramped in the back, especially compared to Murano. We test drove the Murano and that was all she wrote, done deal. I think you will enjoy the Mo alot more than you might think. You will notice the smooth ride and the eerie feeling like something is missing when you expect a shift and it isn't there.The best experience I had when I first got the Mo was putting it in Sport mode and punching it from a red light, the power really comes on quick.
Good luck with your decision.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Wait until...

Saturday trading my 02 pathfinder for a 05 murano.. I can't help but think I am nuts.. what do you think...
I wonder if someone will do the opposite and post the thread:
" Trading my Murano for a Pathfinder, am I nuts? " .
I wonder what the forum members will reply :p

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
jm2730 said:
I'm convinced. What's your take on the CVT?
I think CVT is really great but unfortunately its longevity on a Murano is an unknown. It is therefore best to protect yourself by getting the extended warranty. But don't do it when you buy the car. Do it later when you are not under pressure. Send a blanket E-mail to all delers in US and get a price qoute for the premier gold coverage. You have 36,000 miles to do it so shop around for the best possible deal.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I'm convinced. What's your take on the cvt

First I'd like to say I took a quick look see at the Pathfinder.
I found the rear entry doors for my passengers to be in the not acceptable category. Now if I am 18 and doing all the cliff jumping and all they show on TV, I'd say screw the people in the back seat.
There is also no getting around the Pathfinder is a much more like a truck and the Murano is much more like a car. As you may or may not know it sits on the same frame as some of Nissan's other cars.

The CVT may turn into the next best thing since sliced bread. We just don't know yet. We all took a chance here and I went with the logic of "not much going on there in the tranny." Less stuff to wear out and less stuff to break. A couple of cones and steel belts Vs a bunch of gears and a million parts in the conventional tranny.
It's a crap shoot that we all hope we win. So far there has been very few failures of the CVT. It is much talked about but I'd guess conventional tranny's may have a higher failure rate....so far.

If you want rugged and tough, it's the Pathfinder. If you wanted sleek, comfortable and cutting edge, it's the Murano. No right or wrong, its all about what turns you on.

Best of luck with your new pup.
Bob1

·
Registered
61 Posts
jm2730 said:
That is what I did and I have not looked back. Great Car!

·
Registered
135 Posts
zebelkhan said:

I think CVT is really great but unfortunately its longevity on a Murano is an unknown. It is therefore best to protect yourself by getting the extended warranty. But don't do it when you buy the car. Do it later when you are not under pressure. Send a blanket E-mail to all delers in US and get a price qoute for the premier gold coverage. You have 36,000 miles to do it so shop around for the best possible deal.
I love my Murano and am planning to keep it a long time but lately have been sorry I didn't take the warrenty. How would I go about e-mailing every dealer in the US?

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
XOC said:

I love my Murano and am planning to keep it a long time but lately have been sorry I didn't take the warrenty. How would I go about e-mailing every dealer in the US?
Go to Nissan website- buying - dealer locator - and type in the name of state. It will give you the names of all dealers in that state with contact info. If they don't have e-mail address, they all have fax numbers. Just get a generic letter together and fax it to them.

Here is the web page

http://www.nissanusa.com/form/0,,action-NDealerSearch,00.html

It takes maybe a couple of hours to reach all dealers, but I think the savings may justify it.

·
I tracked my MO!
30 Posts
LOOKY LOOKY LOOKY

In all honesty ... I think I can give you the BEST perspective here!!

Why? Cuz I currently have BOTH! :cool:

I have a 2002 Pathfinder SE /w Roof, and a 2005 Murano SL /w AWD.

Here's the raw / unbiased opinion.

Advantages

Pathfinder:

1) Far superior AWD, the ATTESA system is much more advanced, a better in all kinds of weather than the Murano's simple AWD.
2) Off-road capability bottom line, Pathy IS a real SUV.
3) 20 pounds more torque (truthfully can't feel it, tranny robs it)
4) Has a larger trunk space than the Murano, due to the MO's round butt.
5) Better for towing
6) Looks more like a truck (for the certain rugged days haha)
7) Better looking gauges, the MO's yellow / orange gauges are still wierd to me.

Murano:

1) Far better ON-road manners, feels more like a sports sedan, than a truck.
2) CVT just plain rocks, never have to wait for the tranny to shift, and you are ALWAYS in the engines powerband. MUCH better fuel economy too!
3) Much more Interior room, both front AND rear seats. ;)
4) Seating position is more comfortable like a sedan, whereas the Pathfinder, everyone sits their calfs not really touching the seat (hard to explain)
5) Faster than the Pathfinder due to its tranny and weight.
6) Better Bose sound system, the one in the Pathfinder is CRAP!
7) Doesn't look like a truck, very attractive shape.
8) Much better interior ergonomics.
9) Many more storage spaces in the trunk and cabin.
10) CAN BE TRACKED :p, haha

Bottom line ... the MO is more civilized! Can't go wrong!

-E

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
If you want a good deal on the Nissan Extended warranty, try here
http://www.nissanautowarranty.com/index.cfm

If you do it, let us know how it works out.
I got mine from the dealer two years ago.
I would have done this had it been available.
I hate the Johnny Slicks that every dealer hires to sell the Warranty Programs.

Homer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts