Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings

I have owned a titan for almost 2 yrs now, and looking to downsize for a number of reasons - primary being that we also have the Armada and DONT need to huge gas guzzlers. Lookin for some honest feedback on the 06 Murano.

My wife and I have test drove the Murano, and really like it. Questions:

Are there any concerns about safety (have a 5 yr old)?

Have the bugaboos from earlier versions beed worked out?

Are there any concerns with reliability?

Is the build quality high in that they do or don't develop rattles and squeaks?

I look forward to the feedback. We are pretty convinced this is the vehicle, and being a member of titan talk, I recognize there is no better source for good info the the people who drive them. Again, thanks in advance!!

Dan
Golden CO.

PS - anyone have experience with local dealers? good? bad?

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have owned my 03 Mo since Feb 04, it had 28000 Km on it and was only 9 months old. The only problem that I have had is the alternator issue that was recalled. There are no squeaks or rattles on this car.

I now have 78000 Km on it and am still in love with it. In the summer I tow a tent trailer ( last summer went to Mt St Helens and back) and had a great time. The fuel economy is great and I always look forward to a drive in the mtns when I get a chance.

There has been a few comments on this site on how will the Mo has stood up to crash's and the like, so i do not think it is an issue for any passengers in your Mo.

My advice is to get the Mo before some else buys it and start enjoying the ride you will not be disappointed.

:29: :29:

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
proud owner of MO for almost 2 yrs now. and still look forward to drive it every morning.
the problems i had were alternature failure and jsut last week a dead battery (i think its ok after 3 yrs of harsh Saskatchewan weather).

other than that, its a great family car. i am very much pleased with its safety (got a 10 month old) and it was one of my top priority. you cannot have a tank running on roads. side curtain air bags are standard on 03 model and up but they dont get deployed on '03 when a roll over happens, but in 05 and up MOs are equipped w/ roll-over sensors as well.

fuel economy is also good on this (you would be saving as compared to titan or armada)

check for rattles and squeaks, as i found most of members have faced those issues.

besides all this, you get to join this forum which is full of non-OEM support for your car.

hope this helps you make +ve mind for MO. !!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We traded our titan about 3 weeks go for a 2006 murano. We got tired of spending so much on gas with all the driving the wife was doing. We have been enjoying the vehicle since the day we got it.. My wife thought the truck was nice and was ok, but she just keeps going on and on about the murano.
good luck
d

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
djkamper-

Hey, what can I say? I have had my 2005 SL AWD for 7 months and absolutely love it. It runs great.

It appears that all of the problems that plagued earlier MOs have been addressed and corrected. The past problems included a poorly-designed alternator, rocking driver's seat, squeaks, rattles, etc. There is a recall, set to commence on March 1, that deals with added protection to the fuel tank to prevent punctures.

IMHO the biggest reliability issue might be the CVT. Not that there is any evidence to suggest there will be issues, it's just that it doesn't yet have a track record. The oldest MO is only 3 years old. Will the CVT last 100K miles? 150K? 200K? No one knows yet. Only time will tell.

-njjoe

·
Registered
34 Posts
Of the things on your list, it's the squeaks and rattles that would be the most likely issue, followed by the lack of high-mileage history for a CVT mated to a motor with this much horsepower/torque (ditto what njjoe just said: not that it's bad, we just don't know yet).

The Nissan VQ-series V6 is pretty much bulletproof at this point, and fun to drive (you probably noticed...). :)

There have been at least a couple of threads about fairly serious accidents, along with praise from the owners for how the MO handled them.

For what it's worth, it's a Consumer Reports "recommended" vehicle, so reliability would seem to be above average so far...

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Since you already have a huge tank of a vehicle, why not go for something that really is fuel efficient like a car? Why have a 2nd SUV at all?

Unless you have a larger family or have other reasons to have multiple SUVs, go for a car. Safer, more fuel efficient, practical, etc. Not to mention you could save some moola on the price, depending on what you get. And it's a hell of a lot more responsible.

That said, the MO is a great vehicle. Safety is way up there (I would bet better than the Armada since it's unibody and has very good rollover scores). My 05 has developed a few squeaks, but seems less than the 03 and 04. I'm sure the 06 is a little better, but I wouldn't count on them being completely fixed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Still very happy with my 2005. No rattles, no probs. My biggest beef is the crappy windshield wipers, I know I have company there.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
To answer djkamper questions:

>Are there any concerns about safety (have a 5 yr old)?
Nope! Murano has saved several forum members from minor and major accidents. You can type the word 'safety' in the search bar to find the threads. From NHTSA (www.safecar.com) Murano is also rated 4 or 5 stars in safeties (rollover, frontal, side impact).

>Have the bugaboos from earlier versions beed worked out?
What BUGABOOS? I have owned my 03 for almost 3 yrs and there are 2 recalls + 3 TSBs so far applied to the vehicle. As long as the TSBs and recalls are performed and 'problems' are fixable, I dont count them as BUGABOOS.

>Are there any concerns with reliability?
Nope. I am confident the MO will survive through 150K miles and more. However, since the CVT tech is relatively new, some forum members do buy extended warranty up to 100K miles.

>Is the build quality high in that they do or don't develop rattles and squeaks?
No rattles on my 03 murano.

Please post pics when you got her ;).

·
Registered
30 Posts
My '04 has so many rattles I can't keep track of them! In an otherwise great vehicle it is very disappointing.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
traded up from an 03 to an 05 and still lovin it( minus the few squeeks and those darn sun visor clips):D although i do believe the murano will be succeded by the new audi Q7 suv in our near future.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Out of owning many new vehicles, the murano is the only one i would consider buying AGAIN, that says alot. One word of advice, we bought the SL AWD, the canadian model meaning that it was fairly basic compared to the SE. So my advice, is buy FULLY loaded. We sure regret not going for the SE and our next one will be an SE. Enjoy the vehicle, if it rattles, turn the bose system up, its awesome. Oh, and you might also wanna prepare your jaw muscles for an immense amount of smiling for the next little while.:2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts