Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Read Only
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiousity, anyone use trailer brakes when towing with their Mo? If so, how did you hook up the electrics for the brakes? I have a factory set up with a flat four plug for the lighting - but no trailer brake hook ups. I'm contemplating a bigger boat and if it goes over 2,000 pounds, I'm going to want to use trailer brakes.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've towed a 4,500 lb boat-trailer combination with other vehicles, and have never had elecric brakes. The trailer has always had hydraulic surge brakes which don't have to be hooked up to the vehicle at all. There is just an hydraulic cylinder on the tounge of the trailer.

I have towed this way on 1,500 mile trips with no problems.

Andy

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I have a very knowledgeable friend who tows a very big boat. I asked him if he had looked into a weight distributing hitch after I saw the normal ball mount on his truck. Being that I had towed a camper trailer that weighed 5000 lbs with a suburban, I was a bit worried about his towing a 28 foot cabin cruiser with a dakota without one. --tail wagging the dog--
Actually, I can't see towing anything over 3000 lbs without a weight distributing hitch, it places the load on all 4 wheels, less wear and tear on the rear bearings and it provides better traction control.
He informed me that electric brakes were not very keen with being submerged in water, especially salt water, so he used surge brakes as most large boat towers do. I know 12 v DC systems really don't care about water as a conducter, was it just mechanical?--and they are both mechanical so it left me scratching my head. Maybe it is crimped connections on the wheel assemblies brakes that get bothered--if so a simple solder job would fix that.
Beats me.
But..... surge brakes don't work well with weight distributing hitches he said, hence the normal ball mount. He had an airbag kit for the rear suspension so it wouldn't look like he was doing a wheely.
Sooooo....electric brakes might not be a good idea for a big boat. But being that I don't do boat towing I would suggest finding a boat forum for the most experienced/educated answer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts