Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went down to my Canadian dealership to order a trailer hitch / wiring harness. I thought it was a little strange when the parts guy was talking about how much of a pain it was to install the wiring harness because you had to run a line back to the battery, especially since I've read through the installation manual prior to going to the dealership. Anyway, once I got home and checked this site again, I found out that us Canadians get a "hidden hitch" instead of the Nissan one that you Americans do.

I called the dealership back to confirm, and he said that it was true ... I did order a hidden hitch. He told me not to worry though, because the hitch will say "Nissan" on it and not "hidden hitch" :rolleyes:

Now for my question: I live close enough to the border that I can cross over and pick up one of the US hitches / armatures / wiring harnesses. Would I be better off doing it that way? Is there a big difference between the two kits?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Jason1234-

That is very odd. I wonder why Nissan doesn't provide the US-OEM hitch to their Canadian customers? Not enough demand? Not legal? Does anyone know for sure?

-njjoe

·
Registered
842 Posts
njjoe said:
Jason1234-

That is very odd. I wonder why Nissan doesn't provide the US-OEM hitch to their Canadian customers? Not enough demand? Not legal? Does anyone know for sure?

-njjoe
The same reason why we cannot get the wiring harnesses that you get in the states, we cannot get in Canada. If I would have been able to get the wiring harness I would not have had to go to the dealer to get my Mo wired up to tow my trailer. The same goes for the roof rack cross rails the difference there to. "The World Wonders"

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stoker said:

If I would have been able to get the wiring harness I would not have had to go to the dealer to get my Mo wired up to tow my trailer.
So am I correct in assuming that if you had the choice, you would have picked up the US version? That is what I'm leaning towards ... more because of the wiring harness. Anyone else have any thoughts on this before I cancel my parts order with the Canadian dealership and order from the US?

·
Registered
842 Posts
jason1234 said:

So am I correct in assuming that if you had the choice, you would have picked up the US version? That is what I'm leaning towards ... more because of the wiring harness. Anyone else have any thoughts on this before I cancel my parts order with the Canadian dealership and order from the US?
If you are close to the border I would get the wiring harness from a dealer in the states. The wiring harness is arranged so that you clip into existing connections vs mine which the dealer had to cut and paste the wires.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks, Stoker!!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Confirm Stoker's response...I purchased the Nissan harness from my dealer ($129) assuming it would "plug in" like the U.S.
It required "splicing" and running a line directly to the positive terminal at the battery...instructions were pitiful...had the dealer install for $98. I'm slowly paying for the fullsize spare we Canadians get....

·
Registered
65 Posts
senza said:
Confirm Stoker's response...I purchased the Nissan harness from my dealer ($129) assuming it would "plug in" like the U.S.
It required "splicing" and running a line directly to the positive terminal at the battery...instructions were pitiful...had the dealer install for $98. I'm slowly paying for the fullsize spare we Canadians get....
Did the Dealer have to reprogram the MO computer after installing the wiring kit? My dealer said it is neccessary. He quoted $150.

Larry

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
inspector said:

Did the Dealer have to reprogram the MO computer after installing the wiring kit? My dealer said it is neccessary. He quoted $150.

Larry
The dealer is just trying to get some business. I just finished installing the US Nissan hitch and wiring harness on my 05 SL Canadian Murano, and it works great. The install went very smoothly ... everything was just plug and play (after removing the bumper, muffler, tail lights, cargo trays, etc). The hitch bolted on very quickly, and the wiring harness was simple to install. You just plug in the wire connectors that go to the tail lights into the harness, and plug the tail lights into another plug on the harness. There is a small box to mount in the trunk area that connects to a power line that is already there. No splicing or tapping into wires was necessary.

I tested the hitch with a multimeter, and it is working fine.

I'd say that the total install, along with some backup sensors, took me about 9 hours. I wasn't working very quickly, and took quite a few breaks to chat with all my neighbours who came over to watch me strip down the Mo. I should have taken a photo ... there were parts all down the driveway :D

·
Registered
416 Posts
Larry - dealer did not mention nor charge for "reprogramming computer" after installing trailer wiring harness...

·
Registered
842 Posts
senza said:
Larry - dealer did not mention nor charge for "reprogramming computer" after installing trailer wiring harness...
That is the reason that I got the dealership to install the wiring, the Hitch shop that I deal with had had so many problems with the car computers after the wiring was installed that they have quit doing it and are recommending the the dealer do it..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts