Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fortunately, the only rattle in my MO comes from the receiver style trailer hitch....when pulling an empty or lightly loaded utility trailer, the hitch rattles non-stop....any ideas on how to quiet the rattle?

·
Registered
42 Posts
senza,

I have the same problem. It seems the receiver does not form a snug fit with the hitch (the part with the ball attached). I have tried three hitches and the result is the same,.

What I did to minimize the problem was to cut a small strip of Bike innertube rubber, spray it with silicone spray and work it into the receiver after the hitch is hooked up.

It does an OK job, but sometimes the innertube piece works it way loose.

Hope this help.

Mark

·
Registered
133 Posts
this may sound stupid but try small pieces of plywood "wedges".
That's what I did and not a peep! I just tapped it into the area where the hitch receives the part with the ball untill snug, then cut the protruding ends. I even painted it black with a small paint pen.
Looks good anyway and it works.:12:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I rented a u-haul trailer and had to drive from Virginia Beach, VA to Rochecters, NY. I got to about Richmond (1.5 hours) and had to stop and buy about 50 lbs of sand to load the tongue weight so it wouldn't rattle as much. No way I was driving 11 hours with... bang, boom, bang, boom, boom...

·
Registered
741 Posts
Try torsion bars. They do the trick.

There is always a little play around the hitch ball and this is normal. Otherwise, you would not be able to turn. It will always rattle when the road is bad or thunk when stopping or starting.

The torsion bars put so much weight on the hitch that there is no play left over the ball, making the system as quiet as it can be.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mikeyrider - nice "find'..thats exactly what I'm looking for...I want to be able to remove the hitch from the receiver easily..

SIM - the rattle is definitely coming from the loose hitch in the receiver , not a loose fit between the "ball" and the (whatever you call the device that clamps on the ball)???

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
741 Posts
The equipment is pricey only for a few trailer rides per year.

You need attachments on the trailer and the following equipment for your MO. The anti-sway bar is optional but it makes the load much more stable on the highway with strong side winds. Notice that the torsions bars inserts under the ball location and also attach to the trailer. They balance the load on all axles and prevent the light steering effect of heavily loaded trailers. My trailer is huge. 20 x 8 ft, 2 x 3500 pd axles on 15 in tires and 4 electric brakes.

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts
In French we call this gizzmo a "pig" but I don't know what it is called in Shakespearian words... :)

This is weird because my pig's 2 inch shaft inserts very tightly in the receiver. Since I always use the torsion bars, I never noticed any sound coming from there. Of course these are 10,000 pounds torsion bars so there is absolutely no play at all whatever the load is... lol

·
Registered
741 Posts
One piece of advice for all of you guys who pull trailers. The chains now have to be crossed when attached to your car in many states and here in Quebec. Our transport police is checking this and giving fines as if they were not present if they are not crossed. The fine here is $200 per missing or improperly attached chain.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
That's called a weight distribution hitch, I used one for my travel trailer behind a suburban. Distributes the tongue weight to all 4 wheels of the tow vehicle. Very smart idea for those hauling more than 2000 lbs. They don't do well with surge brakes on boat trailers though. I got into a boat crowd that says WD hitch a no no with big boats. It seems that they can't use electric brakes on the trailers due to backing the trailer in the water each time it is used.....so they resort to surge brakes.

But, I will say, using a WD hitch on my 8000 lb travel trailer made the sub sit perfectly level when hitched, without it the front wheels looked like they were going to leave the ground.

It's a bit tricky to learn how to hook it up without feeling like it may break your arm. The best way is to lower the load on the ball, jack the tongue with the tongue jack up above it's ride height, connect arm chains, lower tongue jack---taught this many times to newbies at camping parks.

And yes, the reason for crossing the safety chains is so if the tongue leaves the ball, it won't hit the pavement....I thought everyone knew that....

·
Registered
741 Posts
Seems that there is a second reason for crossing the chains. The play for the tongue is considerably reduced and this will prevent the trailer from going to far off-center on either sides even at speed. But of course, using a weight distribution hitch with torsion bars would normally make the chains optional since it is then impossible for the tongue to lift.

2 weeks ago I saw a morron who just dropped his trailer and caused quite an accident on an overpass. No chains. The guy was discussing with the police as I rode by. Guess he had a lot of explaining to do...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts