Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone be able to share with me any info. on how their trailer hitch wiring is done. I am having trouble finding someone who knows how to tap into the Muranos wiring, even the dealer doesn't know. Is the wiring harness tapped directly into the wires in the back spare tire well? Is a separate power module used like (Modulite). Can anyone share what experience they have with their dealers and installing hitches, would also like to know how much they were charged. Thanks

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
One person did this, I saved it for reference but have not done it myself.

He used a Drawtite ModuLite PN 18146 and in-line splicers "quick splice" 14-16 guage.

First I would recommend disconnecting the negative battery cable before doing anything.

You remove a 30 AMP fuse in the fuse box under the hood next to the battery and replace it with a 10 AMP fuse. The fuse is labelled T/TOW.

The wire bundles you want to splice the ML into is in the back left of the trunk. There is one bundle going to the left tail light and one bundle going to the right tail light.

In the left tail light bundle, connect the white ML wire to the big thick black wire and the yellow ML wire to the green with black stripe wire.

In the right tail light bundle, green ML to green with yellow stripe, red ML to red with green stripe, brown ML to red with small blue stripe.

Last is the white wire with a connector on the end but isn't connected to anything. This is the wire that connects to the fuse under the hood labelled T/TOW. Connect this white wire to the ML black wire.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought the Nissan trailer harness for about $100.00. It wasn't too difficult to install -- of course there was some trim and stuff to take out. It has connectors that snap into the tailight connectors. It also has a little module that has its own place to screw into, so there's no rattling.

I did not, however, have the Nissan hitch (I installed the Hidden Hitch). The Nissan wiring harness has a bracket for the trailer end of the wire that mounts on the Nissan hitch. Since I didn't have the Nissan hitch, I disassesmbled the mounting bracket and just put the trailer plug in the back by the spare tire. This way it's handy but not hanging all ugly under the bumper.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So what is the story with the wire to the battery? On hidden hitches website, they suggest the "powerline smart power converter" for the wiring harness. This harness has a wire you need to connect to the battery. The wiring harness that some other sites are suggesting is the Modulite 18146 which doesn't mention anything about attaching to the battery. Is one wiring harness better than the other?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
34 Posts
rjaustin - With the Nissan wiring harness, if you just have to connect it to the white connector, what trim did you have to take out that you refer to in your previous post?

Also, did you just order the part from your local dealer? Did you just tell them you wanted the wiring harness for the hitch?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought the trailer wiring harness from the dealer. The harness has several connectors. One is for the power wire (the white connector). There are connectors that snap into both of the tailight connectors (trim has to be removed to get to them). Another connector snaps into the module-control thingamagiggy that mounts inside the trim below the driver's side tailight. The harness comes with pretty good instructions and pictures, along with foam tape and plastic ties to secure the harness and connectors. There are also instructions about running the harness through a rubber grommet to the underside of the vehicle, where plug-in mounts to the Nissan hitch. However, I don't have the Nissan hitch -- I have a Hidden Hitch. So I didn't run the wire under the car to the hitch. I disassembled the mounting bracket and just left the end of the wire beside the spare tire tied with a wire to keep it from rattling. When I need it I just run the trailer wire below the hatch and close it on it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
towing package now available

I just got off the phone with a salesman who said that Nissan has just released the towing package for the Murano. I don't know any more details than that.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I ordered mine from Nissan, they told me I need a Hitch (Class IV) but the car only tows 3500lbs, a wire harness, and an armature (whatever that is). I ordered it all, we'll see how the install goes...

Any wornings I should know about?

·
Registered
34 Posts
So what is the advantage with going with the Nissan wiring harness versus the Drawtite Modulite or vice versa?

I'm thinking that with the Nissan harness, you just plug into the exisiting connectors. Whereas with the Modulite, you have to splice into the wires? But that's just a guess without having looked at it.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
RE: Hidden Hitch module for Murano..

I bought the MO from the dealer with a hidden hitch on it..

after the second time driving it , I noticed a very wierd problem..

the left turn signal would only blink once. then stop.. the trailer is new, and all lights work fine, and no problems on other vehicles..

I took it back to the dealer, adn found out that hidden hitch is having problems with there boxes for the MO (I'm not the only one..) the hidden hitch boxes, need a second "converter" which is going to be installed next week..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Enforcer said:
One person did this, I saved it for reference but have not done it myself.

He used a Drawtite ModuLite PN 18146 and in-line splicers "quick splice" 14-16 guage.

First I would recommend disconnecting the negative battery cable before doing anything.

You remove a 30 AMP fuse in the fuse box under the hood next to the battery and replace it with a 10 AMP fuse. The fuse is labelled T/TOW.

The wire bundles you want to splice the ML into is in the back left of the trunk. There is one bundle going to the left tail light and one bundle going to the right tail light.

In the left tail light bundle, connect the white ML wire to the big thick black wire and the yellow ML wire to the green with black stripe wire.

In the right tail light bundle, green ML to green with yellow stripe, red ML to red with green stripe, brown ML to red with small blue stripe.

Last is the white wire with a connector on the end but isn't connected to anything. This is the wire that connects to the fuse under the hood labelled T/TOW. Connect this white wire to the ML black wire.
Only one person did this? How did it work out? How did he determine the wires to tap into? I just bought the module but I'm concerned about the out come ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I usually do my own wiring and often have made the hitch too, but this time I first checked at Nissan. Their quote was 'about $500 CAN for the hitch and wiring harness, and maybe $200CAN to install it. We haven't done many". Which led me to conclude they weren't going to do mine either. Their 'factory equipment" turned out to be a Class II Hidden Hitch, 1 1/4" receiver.

I ended up getting an aftermarket Valley Hitch Class II, 2" receiver, wiring and installation included, for $350CAN. It does have a module, all neatly tucked away in the spare tire well and with a built in 4 wire plug. Works fine.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts