Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had our MO for one week now, first upgrade was a hitch.
After reading previous posts, I opted for a 3500# unit with a 2" receiver made by VALLEY. I liked the look of the round crossmember, and the finish which appears to be powder coat rather than paint. This unit can be ordered through NAPA Aouto Stores for about $120.

Hitch installation:

Pretty straightforward, took about 1.25 hours. The directions properly call for removal of the tow hook (driver's side - does not get re-installed); removal of the two rubber muffler hangers on the driver's side, removal of the muffler support on the passenger side, and loosening of the exhaust pipe support about 15" forward of the muffler on the passenger side.

I did all that, then positioned the hitch over the 3 frame holes on each side with the help of a small floor jack (another person would work just as well - I didn't have one). Bolts and tapered washers (supplied with the hitch) are then tightened to secure the hitch to the MO's frame. CAUTION: Be sure to tighten the bolts BEFORE you re-secure the muffler.

In retrospect, I would have saved time and trouble by just removing the muffler entirely (a 10 min. job), then securing the hitch, then re-installing the muffler.

Trailer wiring:

Buy a Modulite or Hoppy converter at any store that carries trailer wiring parts. Model # isn't critical, just buy one that says its for vehicles with separate turn signal and brake lights - like the MO.

I've read other posts wherein people have removed a lot of rear interior panels to get at the tail/turn/brake lights, NOT NECESSARY!! All you need to remove are the center storage bin under the center carpet panel. All the wires you'll need to tap into are exposed in the driver's side corner of the spare tire compartment.

Now go to:

http://www.lakeutopia.com/dhart/PhotoAlbum/TrailerWiring/lakeutopia.htm
for a picture of where the wires are that you'll need to tap into.

You'll tap into 3 wires in location B2:
right turn = green wire with yellow stripe(on the car)
stop = red wire with green stripe(")
tail light = red wire with blue stripe(")

You'll tap into 2 wires in location B1:
left turn = green wire with black stripe(")
power(battery) = white wire that's got a white connector on it (unused in the car)

The only wire left on your converter is the ground - just ground it to the frame with one of 4 screws in the driver's side corner of the spare tire compartment.

Then plug the harness into the converter and you are done.

The wiring took me 1 hour.

Hope this helps. A little over 2 hours, about $160 (versus 3 times that @ the dealer), and a dose of self-satisfaction !! :p

·
Registered
255 Posts
Can you post some pictures of the Murano that show what the hitch looks like from the rear? I have seen the Hidden Hitch, and the DrawTite, but this one sounds like it could combine the best of both (Round Bar and 2" receiver).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Great step by step instructions. I will print off and save for the future.

Thanks for taking the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I won't have my digital camera back until Wednesday - then I'll post a picture of the hitch. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, same hitch - now everyone knows what it looks like.

The hitch does not come with a flat plate on it (like the one in the above picture - 6" to the left of the receiver opening) to mount the plug. A guy could make one, or do what I do and just leave the plug in the spare tire compartment - and route it out the rear hatch when I need it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The plate you see on my hitch is part of the Nissan Wiring Harness. I just used three big black zip ties to hold the plate to the tube. It's been on there and seem to work fine.

If it ever does come loose, Zip ties are cheap and easy to install.

Doesn't your wiring connection (which ever one you have) have some kind of plate for the plug in to the trailer's wiring?

Maybe the Nissan one is worth the $99?:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts