Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Murano factory trailer wiring harness on my '06 Murano. If one follows the directions, which I belive I did, I can't see how anything can foul up, but I am having a problem with power going to the taillights even when the ignition is off and the lights are in the off position. Directionals and brake lights work fine, but the harness remains hot with the ignition off. Has anyone encountered this problem? Looks like a lousy relay, but I would hate like hell to spend another hundred bucks. I have been wiring trailers for over 20 years and this is the first time I have ever encountered anything like this.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I to did a lot of trailer wiring in my days but the Mo wiring made me go to the trailer wiring shop that I get parts from to have them look at it. They had tried to wire up Mo in the past had met with failure. It finally got to the point that the shop only recommends the dealership to do the wiring, they did not want to screw up the computer controls in the Mo.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Nice to know I am not suffering alone.

I think rather than pay the dealer a couple of hundred bucks I am just going to put a switch on the hot wire to the harness or simply disconnect it and only turn it on when I am towing.

·
Registered
842 Posts
minimal said:
Thanks. Nice to know I am not suffering alone.

I think rather than pay the dealer a couple of hundred bucks I am just going to put a switch on the hot wire to the harness or simply disconnect it and only turn it on when I am towing.
You are right about the cost as it was $225 to do the wiring at the dealership, however the piece of mind was priceless.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Go for the switch

If the Brake and turns are Ok.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Help discount the cost of replacing the bad alternators.

minimal said:
What in god's name did they do for $225.00? Did they replace the harness?
:eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I am not sure what you mean by "didn't swap left and right connectors" Could you please explain that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The way it is set up there is only one way to wire the connectors. The only thing I did not do was dsiconnect the battery terminal, but that shouldn't matter, because I didn't plug the hot wire in until the installation was totally complete.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You have an 06 with the LEDs. Is the wiring harness the same as the one used in the 03-05? I wonder if the pinouts are different.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everything seems to fit right, but perhaps the relay/transformer is different. When I get some time I'l check with the dealer.........but I sure as hell won't pay him 200 bucks.......

·
Registered
842 Posts
minimal said:
What in god's name did they do for $225.00? Did they replace the harness?
It would have been nice if it was just a straight forward harness hook up. But in Canada we did not get the wiring harness like our American cousins, ours is a straight up cut and splice (hopefully the right wire) affair and the instructions that come with the kit is not a very concise affair even with a diagram that is not the bes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts