Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 murano 160k mal transmission shifts all gears right all at once can anybody help here?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Murano uses CVT which is different from the traditional transmission. It does not shift into gears but changes the gear ratio steplessly. It's not clear what you mean by "shifts all gears right all at once". Does the car accelerate normally? Maybe you can describe the symptoms which make you think that something is wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard of the type of trans u describe don't know about it so let me try and explain. Normally when you drive a car it shift from one gear to another depending on what speed you drive.1st 2nd 3rd etc.Whats happening here is that you will drive the murano off from stop and it will shift 1 2 34 right behind each other before you even get to 15 mph

·
Super Moderator
7,985 Posts
You would benefit from reading about how a CVT works. It appears that you bought a car with a type of transmission unfamiliar to you.

There are no gears. As you accelerate onto a highway or freeway, if you put your foot down all the way you will feel nothing like "shifts." The RPM will climb to about 6,000 RPM, and the car simply will go faster while the tech stays at that level.

Do a couple of runs at full-throttle (gas pedal on the floor) and it will become clear to you. Part-throttle acceleration seems to be confusing.

This is proper operation.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Whats happening here is that you will drive the murano off from stop and it will shift 1 2 34 right behind each other before you even get to 15 mph
Now, I am curious where you see or how you know that the car shifts 1, 2, 3, 4. Is there an indicator or display that says 1,2,3,4?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Uh yeah now I'm curious what you mean. I think the cvt uses changes in oil pressures to affect the steel belt in it. Yours has gears?

·
Super Moderator
7,985 Posts
The CVT does not shift 1234. There are two reasons for this:

1) There are no shifts programmed into that transmission's ratios.
2) There are no gears, so there is no 1234.

It might help to read the owner's manual. I don't recall what it has to say about the CVT but it should explain the general operation.

·
Registered
84 Posts
On some of the 1st gen Muranos, there is a fake manual shift mode. The full range of the CVT gear ratio is discretized into 6 "virtual gears", and the gear number is displayed on the dash as you shift. I don't know if the virtual gear number would still be displayed when in the automatic mode in those cars. In CVTz50 App, the virtual gear number is shown next to the gear ratio.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts