Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased 2003 SL. Has reciver hitch, and only complaint is scoop for tranny hanging down under front bumper. Anyone done anything about this? (Maybe aluminum)? I think this looks dorky...:confused:

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,042 Posts
New one can be had from dealer, Choice of metal 03/04 plastic 05. CVT runs hot, Scoop is good thing to replace.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
If anything, I think the metal scoop is better for cooling, as it can act like a heat sink. A plastic scoop, unless it can direct air at a much higher flow rate than the metal scoop, would probably not function any better.

·
4,648 Posts
It's a trade off...

The plastic one I suspect will bend if you smack a curb, and spring back.

The metal one is fairly heavy steel, and it has to be bent back into position.

The '03's are steel, the newer models have plastic.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Eric L. said:
If anything, I think the metal scoop is better for cooling, as it can act like a heat sink. A plastic scoop, unless it can direct air at a much higher flow rate than the metal scoop, would probably not function any better.
Since (unless I am mistaken...) the scoop doesn't actually make contact with the tranmission housing itself, it only directs airflow up that way, there wouldn't be much of a heat sink effect from the metal scoop vs. plastic. The plastic scoop is fairly sturdy, at least that's the impression I got after having to reach up under there a few times and clear all the ice out of it. I suppose I don't have to worry about it since it's so cold out, but I like to keep it clean anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
On my 03 (built 04/03) the metal scoop is bolted onto the transmission housing (I think).

In either case, I have been careful to not drive over things like I've got a foot of ground clearance, so I have had no issues with hitting the scoop.

·
5,264 Posts
Eric L. said:
On my 03 (built 04/03) the metal scoop is bolted onto the transmission housing (I think).

In either case, I have been careful to not drive over things like I've got a foot of ground clearance, so I have had no issues with hitting the scoop.
No, is not touching! I had "noise" coming from engine caused by scoop touching transmisson.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Kris said:

No, is not touching! I had "noise" coming from engine caused by scoop touching transmisson.

Oooh in that case I'll wait until my metal scoop is sufficiently dented enough, then I'll replace it with the plastic one.

·
5,042 Posts
It is shaped so as to cause a venturi effect. In other words the opening is a little larger than the exit. This caused the Air to speed up as it passes the Tranny fins and heat transfer is enhanced. Gripper Don :D

·
4,648 Posts
Kris said:

Actually I think you're both right. From what I recall, it's bolted to the transmission, but there are spacers or something, that isolate it.

Enforcer posted some great pictures of the underbelly of the Murano and I've been searching for them, but no luck. I suspect they were lost during the software conversion of 2003. There a number of posts trashed then.:(

If someone finds them, post a link and we should be able to see the scoop better.

·
5,042 Posts

·
5,042 Posts
Dennis how did it happen?

·
5,042 Posts
Dennis Fink Thanks. I think, if I ever break mine I'll opt for the metal replacement if I am still able to get it.

·
4,648 Posts
I tend to agree with you Don. I wonder if anyone has damaged their CVT with the metal one? It would be good to know the reason Nissan switched to plastic.

Besides, It's hard to use the Murano as plough with the plastic one.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I think quite a few people have hit their metal scoops, and have rebent it back into place. I guess its better than actually cracking the plastic scoop.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I didn't wanna be a member of this club :(

I hate to bump up this thread, but I joined the club of 'damaged CVT scoop' thingies. I was driving on the freeway yesterday and hit a pretty big retread that probably came off a big commercial truck. There were pieces of debris everywhere on the road (the tire retread, that is). I was probably doing 55 and the car in front must've hit it first. By the time I saw the retread it was too late, I could only slow down to about 40 as there were too many cars behind and beside me so I couldn't avoid it. Luckily (?) I steered more toward the left of the road and the retread hit the left underside of the car, effectivey ripping the scoop in half. I didn't know it at the time because I had no idea it was even there in the first place. I did hear an awful clunking noise as I ran over it. When I mentioned it to my husband, he slid under the car with a flashlight and pointed it out to me. *ouch* I guess I should be grateful that there is no cosmetic damage to the front of the MO.

I called the dealer who quoted me $58.28 for the scoop and $.94 each for the clips to hold it in place, he said I needed 6 if they were all gone, and it would take at least a week to bring it in. I think I'll be checking online for better pricing. Anyone order one lately?

Sorry to ramble, I just had to share my pain :(

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
I hate those road alligators. :3: I wonder how effective that scoop is and if there is any risk of overheating the tranny without it.

·
4,648 Posts
Hmmm... I wonder if I can keep my metal one and put on the plastic one with my next Murano...

How will I be able to do this with a plastic one?

An alternate use for the CVT scoop

Sorry to see you get nailed by the tire melekalikimaka...

I had a grill destroyed on my GMC Jimmy, with one of those suckers. Yes, it could have been much worse!:eek:

·
Registered
56 Posts
thanks for the condolences guys.

jaak, Nissan MOOrano is right. :D

Well, I spent hours searching online and the cheapest I found was 1stnissanparts.com @ $33.62 but no one could confirm actual shipping to my HI zip code. Website says $6.95 minimum s/h but I just want to double check since lo and behold everything costs more to ship here. I guess I'll have to wait another day.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts