Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the 15 driving towards Vegas from LA. There's a long stretch of uphill (I would think a 2-3% gradient). I was going about 85mph. Outside temp was a toasty 97 degrees F.

My lane was clear, so I gave it some more gas. Nothing was happening. Rev stayed at about 3600 and didn't move a bit. So I floored it. Again nothing happened. Shifted to Ds. Still no go. So basically I was stuck at 85 all the way up.

Same thing happen on the way back. This time it was a steeper grade. Temperature was around the mid 90s. RPM stayed at 4000 even when I floored it, and the car topped out at 80. I had trouble passing a Suburban... :eek:

The problem was not reproducible later on when the temperature drops back in the 70s.

What's happening? Is there a built-in program to prevent tranny overheating? Has anyone experienced something similar?

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
It could be 2 things:

A) CVT high temperature mode: protects the tranny when the fluid temp gets too high by limiting RPMs and speed.

B) Limp Mode: when something goes wrong (could be engine or CVT), limp mode is activated to prevent further damage, once again limiting RPMs and speed.

If your SES (Check Engine) light isn't on, it's most likely A.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I think in limp mode, you probably wouldn't even be able to rev to 4000RPM. Sounds to me like the CVT overheat protection. I haven't looked at the FSM, but I think limp mode may trip the check engine light, but the overheat protection will not (it might trip the CVT light, but thats just a guess).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was no warning light (CVT, SES). Sounds like the "High Temperature mode" was triggered then. Guess I should take it easy in similar situations then.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
There IS another possibily.

I have never been in a situation where I have run the car at a constant 4000 RPMS (Or even 3600).

But I have been in a situation where the car would rev freely and the CVT was sluggish.
As have several others around here.

It would seem that every now and then, especially after a long, hard day, that the CVT get's tangled in it's own underwear.
When you give it gas from a stop or near stop, the engine revs and the car doesn't respond, then suddenly Clunk! the CVT engages and away you go.
It is a very similiar feeling to reving the motor in Neutral and then slamming it in gear.

Now I was in a position where I could not do the "workaround", but several people have discovered that if you "reboot", all is well again.
By Rebooting, I mean pulling over out of everybodies way and turning off the car and then restarting.

It would have been interesting if you had tried that.

There seems to be a software error that develops in the transmission control after some extended time at a relatively high speed.

Of course, this may have nothing to do with your situation..........

Homer

·
Registered
111 Posts
Reboot?! I didn't know that my MO ran MS Windows...Crap! That completely changes my opinion of the thing!

Regards,

Big

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Sorry for taking so long to get back to this, but I had a thought:

If you are going up hill and the RPMs are as high as you say, it's entirely possible that the torque converter never locked up. This would induce a lot more heat in the fluid, creating a situation where overheating is more likely.

·
Registered
472 Posts
hfelknor said:
There IS another possibily.

It would seem that every now and then, especially after a long, hard day, that the CVT get's tangled in it's own underwear.

Sounds like you and the car need a change of underwear !

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I will be travelling the exact same route this coming weekend and I expect the ambient temperature to be the same. I will test it to see if the same thing will happen to my MO.

·
4,664 Posts
It was in the high 90's here today. With my non-scoop equipped transmission, as recommended by my Nissan Service Advisor, but then not recommended by his Service Manager, it felt sluggish at the high end....

And you'd think it might cool better if you go faster!;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts