Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, please help me I want to change my transfer case oil. Murano 06. Can I use
IMG_20191108_181836_756.jpg

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I don't see why not. The manual calls for API GL-5 80w90. I changed the transfer case gear oil in my 2003 and used Mobil 1 synthetic 75w90 GL-5 rated gear oil, I didn't experience any issues.

·
Super Moderator
8,432 Posts
I can't read the small print on the label, but as pointed out above, make sure it's a GL-5 rating for the transfer case, not GL-4 for transmissions. An 06 is out of warranty, so you have options.

If in doubt, get the Nissan stuff. It doesn't take much.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys I opened my drain plug and nothing came out. The drain plug had black staff on it, I don't know if it was grease or old gear oil. Can I fill the oil and run the car for few days and drain it?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
It only holds 5/8 of a pint (300 ml), a little over a cup, a very tiny amount...

Do you see any sign of a leak?

Sure, fill it and drain it until it looks free of any sludge due it to running low/out and hot. I would change it even earlier than a few days and check what comes out. You may have dodged a bullet if you caught it early enough...

Check for metal in what drains out once you get some fresh fluid in there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My transfer case oil is now clean. Can I use the same oil for rear differential. CASTROL 80W-90?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My transfer case oil is now clean. Can I use the same oil for rear differential. CASTROL 80W-90?
Yes, you can use the same gear oil for your differential.

Did you find any metal particles in the gear oil when you flushed it?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Yes there was very small gear particles. What does that mean?
It means it was on it way to destruction due to heat and stress due to the gear oil leaking out. Hopefully you caught it early enough, and it's hopeful that you didn't see any larger chunks of the gears...

You should now check it regularly now to determine how quickly it leaks out. It only holds a tiny amount of gear oil so if your leak is anything more than a slow weeping you'll need to top it off regularly, maybe monthly. Don't ignore checking it, especially until you know how fast it leaks out.

It's an expensive repair to either replace the transfer case or to reseal it with a new gasket.

·
Super Moderator
1,002 Posts
Yes there was very small gear particles. What does that mean?
That transfer case doesn't have much life left to it if metal came out and it has been running dry. Unfortunately, when the transfer case goes, you are quite literally dead in the middle of the road. Most failures happen when starting from a dead stop. Think 3 or 4 lane highway traffic jam and it happens when you're in a middle lane. Not a pretty sight.

I was lucky to be in town at a red light. Started thru the intersection, massive bang followed by extremely loud grinding noises as the car came to a halt. The loud bag startled me, thinking a blown tire, that I instinctively pull over to the right and was able to get the car off the road before it came to a total stop. FWIW, my transfer case was not dry, there was a good cup of gear fluid on the ground when it was flatbedded away.

I would seriously be considering looking for a replacement transfer case, either used with low miles from a wreck, or a new one online, cheaper then what the dealer costs. Any competent mechanic can change it out, it's just a time intensive job. Labor @ $145 an hour will cost you about $1,200 - $1,500. Dealer cost for replacement was around $3,500 with new transfer case (7 years ago).

Sorry for your luck, but at least you're aware of the issue and can be proactive about it before it leaves you stranded.

Have a good day.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Super Moderator
8,432 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,432 Posts
I made this a separate post to let the one above stand free...

My transfer case failure was similar to Paul Day's. I was turning left, there was a loud bang right under my feet, and I knew something had broken. I pulled into a parking lot about 50 feet down the street, got out and looked, and there was a small stream of oil running onto the ground. The transfer case had split in half.

My local indy shop found a used transfer case from an "auto recycler" and it cost a total of $3000 to get the part and have it installed. I had noticed a small weep of oil on the transfer case earlier, and had been checking the oil level on a regular basis; it had not been run dry.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I had noticed a small weep of oil on the transfer case earlier, and had been checking the oil level on a regular basis; it had not been run dry.
How many ounces did you have to add the first time you checked it? And how much during your checks thereafter?

Just curios, because it sounds like in your case it may have not been an issue with the fluid being allowed to get too low... It only holds 10 ounces (5/8 pint).

·
Super Moderator
8,432 Posts
How many ounces did you have to add the first time you checked it? And how much during your checks thereafter?

Just curios, because it sounds like in your case it may have not been an issue with the fluid being allowed to get too low... It only holds 10 ounces (5/8 pint).
Agreed, it wasn't an issue with low fluid.The transfer cases often seep just enough to alarm people, but the reports here indicate that if they're under warranty and have the transfer case pulled and re-sealed, many of them start seeping again anyway.

Mine never got low, and checking it at 3-4 month intervals never revealed the need to add gear oil. I'm not sure why it failed, because I know that in the 70,000+ miles I drove it, I never did anything with it that would have pur undue stress on that transfer case.

My take on it is that the transfer case is the weakest point in the Murano's driveline, at least in the first generation vehicles. I think it's prone to failure if stressed, and I'm sure that my numerous comments cautioning people against taking Muranos off-road have become familiar to some members here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts