Nissan Murano Forum banner

Have you had a transfer case leak or failure?

• Yes

Votes: 238 60.1%
  • No

Votes: 158 39.9%

• Total voters
461 - 480 of 505 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Another two time failed transfer case

Long story short, 2009 Murano SE AWD, transfer case leading at 40K miles, dealer replaced under warranty. Dealer checked vehicle during service last week at 55K miles, found TC leaking again, going to replace under warranty again, no charge. Had to order parts.

I have NNA extended warranty to 6 years and 100K miles. My concern is that the warranty for the TC will expire before I am through with the vehicle.

Taking Murano in for the TC fix tomorrow, will have to speak with the dealer and get some type of written assurances over this issue, 2 failures within 20K miles is giving me a lemony smell in my nostrils.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I got my MO back yesterday from having the transfer case resealed for my 04 MO. Wasn't cracked or anything, from what I understand, the technician had to get the transfer case out and reseal it.

I'll scan in the receipt and post it here for people to see. It was quite interesting what he did to get to the transfer case. He had to remove the exhaust, remove the front cross member, and I forget what else, then he was able to get to the TC. I heard he had the entire TC apart and replaced some interior seals. After that he bolted things back together and gave it back.

Only problem now is an exhaust leak at the flange. Getting a repetitive hissing noise when I ask the motor for power. They also broke one o the wheel speed sensors which is causing many lights on my gauge cluster. They're going to fix all for free tomorrow so we'll see how it goes.

Will be pressure spraying everything underneath sometime soon to get all the gunk off from the TC leak. Want it nice and clean! :)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Interesting....My Mo is just starting to making a funny drone noise on the highway and has 130K. You can hear it go up and down with the car speed and not the engine speed. I am suspecting the transfer case as well. I plan to check/change fluid this weekend in hopes to save it.
FYI - Ended up being frozen rear right brake caliper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replace transfer case

Hello,
I have a 2006 Murano with approx. 90K and the transfer case blew up. I got 2 quotes to replace from mechanics--$4620 and $3780. Another transmission shop said that they rebuild transfer cases and quoted $2400. I don't know what to do. The car is undriveable. I hate to invest thousands into a car that has other problems--radiator leaks, A/C charging core leaks, loose sway bar... According to this online poll, almost 60% failure rate? Is that possible? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #465
Hello,
I have a 2006 Murano with approx. 90K and the transfer case blew up. I got 2 quotes to replace from mechanics--$4620 and $3780. Another transmission shop said that they rebuild transfer cases and quoted $2400. I don't know what to do. The car is undriveable. I hate to invest thousands into a car that has other problems--radiator leaks, A/C charging core leaks, loose sway bar... According to this online poll, almost 60% failure rate? Is that possible? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
As with any poll, it will attract mostly those who have had problems. So it is not representative of the entire population of Muranos. A lot of the transfer case repair cost is not the part, which can be found for under $1000 from reputable Nissan parts dealers, but rather, the extensive labor.

That said, I think the evidence points to the fact that transfer case failures are preventable - it is a leaking seal - either on the transmission side, or on the passenger driveshaft side, that allows the case to bleed dry, and then the part fails. The transfer case holds very little oil, about half a quart. So it does not take long to bleed dry, and self destruct. The best way to prevent it from happening is frequent inspections.

As for your AC issues - damage to the front condensor due to being hit by a rock can cause a slow leak. Nothing you can about this - it can happen on any car - if they trace the leak to the condensor, maybe you can make a claim on your auto insurance if you have comprehensive coverage. Same goes for radiator leaks - the same rock that pierced your condensor only has to travel another inch to hit the radiator.

A loose sway bar is almost certainly due to a worn out stabilizer bar bushing or end link. That should not be an expensive repair.

·
Registered
33 Posts
1 more to add to the TC misery.

81,000 on '04 SL. Had the TC resealed about a year and a half ago but now the drive shaft has got a ton of play as it connects to the TC. Quoted $3,700.00 with $1,900.00 being a new TC.

As Eric states in the preceding post, the transfer case issues probably could have been prevented by frequent inspections-if you see any leakage run, don't walk to a mechanic and get it resealed. Problem is inspecting a part like this isn't always easy, especially during the winter where snow and water make it hard to diagnose. I still believe Nissan should have come clean on this issue and found a better way to allow owners to get free inspections and help with potential repairs.

So this is probably it for the Murano and our family. This car had a lot of positives to it-still rattle free 10 years later, drives smooth, decent gas mileage with fantastic style, but I have lost confidence in the drive train and believe this to be the beginning of more issues. We may try to find a cheaper TC to bring down the repair cost but a replacement vehicle might just be the way to go.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Problem is inspecting a part like this isn't always easy, especially during the winter where snow and water make it hard to diagnose. I still believe Nissan should have come clean on this issue and found a better way to allow owners to get free inspections and help with potential repairs.
Actually, this isn't true, if you think about it. I change my own oil and rotate my tires when I do that - once or twice each year, depending on how many miles we put on our 04 SE that particular year. While the car is up in the air and the wheels are off, I give the undercarriage and drive train a good inspection. I always time that job for spring and fall, to avoid snow. No big deal.

As for Nissan `coming clean' on this issue, you have to remember it's only an `issue' for a tiny amount of the overall Murano owners. The majority (like me) are happily driving our cars year after year (will be 9 years for me this Oct.) with no drivetrain problems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Actually, this isn't true, if you think about it. I change my own oil and rotate my tires when I do that - once or twice each year, depending on how many miles we put on our 04 SE that particular year. While the car is up in the air and the wheels are off, I give the undercarriage and drive train a good inspection. I always time that job for spring and fall, to avoid snow. No big deal.

As for Nissan `coming clean' on this issue, you have to remember it's only an `issue' for a tiny amount of the overall Murano owners. The majority (like me) are happily driving our cars year after year (will be 9 years for me this Oct.) with no drivetrain problems.
Frankly, I find your reply irritating.

I appreciate the advice on when to inspect but the " actually, this isn't true" quote isn't all that helpful. Each owner has different car knowledge and access to the lift.

And glad you are happily driving your car year after year-for those of us that currently aren't it's not too fun be part of the "tiny" amount you seem to know about. It is also my opinion that Nissan's stance on the many breakdowns of this area of the vehicle unfair.

But whatever, this happened to our vehicle and it's something we have to deal with, regardless of what others have experienced.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
So sorry you are one of the (very) few who has had a drivetrain problem with your Murano, trev. But I stand by my observation that it is super easy to check for transfer case leaks - even WITH the wheels on. You just kneel down next to the front wheels, peer underneath with a light (like a flashlight) and look around for ANY signs of fluid. You certainly don't need a lift, or even a floor jack, and you definitely don't need to know much about cars to spot fluid where it shouldn't be!

I know for a fact that, like most Mo owners, I've had no leaks. But then, I only have 106K miles on my 04. Who knows what will happen down the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Transfer Case Fail

Our vehicle has never seen any rough terrain. Transfer case failed for no apparent reason. Nissan's cost to fix $4800.00. Outrageous in price and poor build quality due to poor engineering. It'll be Toyota Venza or Mazda CX9 next time around. Thanks Nissan for ruining our relationship.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Transfer Case Fail

I have an '03 AWD SL, the transfer case started making a whining noise at about 135,000mi. last year. Replacement cost about $3000. :mad:

I also just replaced the high pressure P/S hose at 145,000, cost $300. :mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone had any luck with Nissan taking responsibility for the bad transfer cases?

Anyone had any luck with Nissan taking responsibility for the bad transfer cases?
Hey everyone, I have an '09 Murano SL awd and am having the CVT replaced under the revised factory warranty. While it was in for service the tech noted the leaking transfer case and said that it's not covered under the warranty extension. The problem is, he also said that it is one of several VIN's that doesn't qualify for the rebuild option. (according to him, there are a range of VIN's that require the whole case to be replaced since the vendor Nissan used made them poorly) My bone with Nissan North America is that if they know of the issue and have been able to isolate the particular VIN's associated, where is the voluntary recall for the shotty parts! I've been on the phone with customer care, and didn't hear anything back until I finally filed a complaint with the BBB. (surprise, surprise, Nissan called me 2 days later. Not to help, just to find out why I filed a complaint) Anyhow, anyone had a similar situation? Or has anyone heard of this VIN situation? If so, I would love some input. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Was thinking of getting a new Murano but...

I was considering buying a new Murano but since looking at all of the postings it appears that the transfer case is a weak link in the Murano powertrain.

Is this still an issue with the current cars or more prnounced in ealier years?

Perhaps getting FWD is the answer? Although I like the idea of AWD due to my rural location and long driveway.

Before I purchase a $35,000+ car I'd like to be assured that I'm getting a tried and tested car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have an 05 AWD with 155k miles on it and no issues to date regarding TC. I have to ask the question, especially to those with higher mileage failure. Have you ever serviced/replaced the TC fluid? This could be one of the issues. People hear "The CVT does not need service" and assume that is true for TC as well.

Just a thought.

-BG

·
Registered
1 Posts
Transfer case trouble

Mine went at 95k miles and was not covered by warranty. The big problem/question is that at around 20k the vehicle developed a horrible smell whenever it was idling. I repeatedly asked my dealer to fix it and they tried numerous things, but nothing worked. Now that I have a new TC the smell is gone! And I'm MAD. Nissan CS refuses to help me. Any ideas on what other steps I can take to get this covered?
On another note, is everyone aware that the discussion forum owners(Nissan) keep the deeper threads of this forum hidden from the search engine bots?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2007 Nissan Murano with 150k and the front diff casing is cracked. We heard a big thumping sound before coming to a halt... we were driving a 30km/hr on a smooth road. Nissan Australia has been very cagey, refusing to reply in writing or even admitting over the phone that it's a known problem.

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
My transfer case was re-sealed under an extended warranty at (I think) around 60K miles. I now have 98K miles on the vehicle, and was just told by an independent shop that there was another slight leak. The gent at the shop has years of Nissan experience and shared an opinion with me that the transfer case is poorly designed and that leaks are unacceptably common - sometimes at 30K mile intervals.

I couldn't find the leak visually, so I took the Murano home, ran it up on ramps and removed the fill plug using the Harbor Freight #32042 wrench set.

8 Piece Metric Offset Box Wrench Set

...and thank you to the gent who originally posted that set of wrenches. The filler plug looks easy to remove but is NOT. The offset on that particular set of wrenches is a godsend when working with that plug. For $14 on sale ($18.99 regular price) it's MORE than worth the price if you never use any of the other wrenches. If you don't have a Harbor Freight nearby, mail order this wrench set now so you will have it when needed.

At any rate, I got the plug out and oil ran out of the hole, indicating the transfer case was quite full. No problem for now...and since I didn't see any evidence of a leak, if there is one it's quite slow.

I will check it monthly and just add Mobil 1 gear oil if needed, as needed (there's no magic in the oil used in that application).

Frankly, I no longer trust the transfer case design in the Murano. I have decided not to sell mine at this time, but I'm going to watch that transfer case closely.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Count me as one of the transfer case leakers... '05 Murano, took it in due to some weird jerking during driving and was told transfer case is EMPTY and $3300 to fix.

That plus some other things that were wrong means it's not really worth fixing. Total cost to repair is about the value of the vehicle. Engine mounts and control arm bushings are all crushed and dealer is quoting another $3100 to fix both of those. Then of course there is the drivers seat, where the bracket broke (also a known Murano issue), they are quoting me $1400 to fix that...

Question... can I just refill the transfer case and keep driving until the thing stops running? Would that work? I mean, effectively the car is totalled anyway. Thoughts?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Assuming the transfer case isn't already damaged from being run dry you can just keep filling it in and driving it.

There are 2 problems with this plan though. First, the transfer case is a real PITA to fill due to the fill location. Second, it only holds a tiny amount of fluid so you'd be filling it a lot.

Sounds like your dealer is really sticking it to you too. My transfer case blew and the total cost was $2700 with over $1900 in parts. The seal that's leaking on yours is less than $10 so I'm not sure where they're getting to $3300 since the labor to replace it is the same as the labor to fix the seal. I'm not sure how much is involved to replace the engine mounts but I'm doing the lower control arms myself on Sunday and it's not that big a job. $3100 to replace those (I got mine for $74 each from RockAuto) and some engine mounts seems like downright highway robbery.

I'd find a competent independent mechanic and have him quote you for replacing the seal, control arms and engine mounts before you just scrap the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the input! Yes, i assumed they were $crewing me pretty bad on the repair prices, dealers ALWAYS do. I will likely do what you recommend and see what I can get someone else to repair it for. I still expect it will still be at least $3000-$4000 to replace the transfer case and do the engine mounts and bushings, which makes me wonder whether it is worth it to sink the money or just buy a new car....

461 - 480 of 505 Posts
About this Discussion
504 Replies
191 Participants
Robotaz
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing