Nissan Murano Forum banner

Have you had a transfer case leak or failure?

• Yes

Votes: 238 60.1%
  • No

Votes: 158 39.9%

• Total voters
481 - 500 of 505 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Transfer case seal leaking

My 2012 Maurano from day 1 of purchase always had a smell of something burning. First service I mentioned it to the service writer smelled something burning or antifreeze sweet smell. That was at 3750 miles. Second service 7500 miles same problem mentioned with service again. No problem found. Today I took my Maurano in because the Dot a Matrix LCD Message Center went black and again mentioned that I had that same sweet smell. Later in the day I received a call from Nissan service saying the transfer case was leaking and the replaced the seal. The dot matrix is gone the have to replace the cluster panel. My Maurano is 14 months old with 9440 miles currently.

It may be time to trade it for a different brand but it seems as all the car companies quality has gone back to the 70's again. Poor quality design and poor quality in materials.

I at least have a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty. It looks like it will be definitely needed.
:(:(:(

·
Registered
3 Posts
05 AWD Murano with 82000 miles has cracked transfer case

My 05 Murano with 82000 miles has a cracked transfer case my mechanic says will cost 3500 to 4000 to fix. I have always done maintenance as required for this vehicle since I bought it in 2007. I have had nothing but problems with this car and am completely disappointed in Nissan. A transfer case should not crack. I have a ford 1998 Explorer that has never had the major issues this Murano has had. I will NEVER buy Nissan again and will tell all I know not to do so either.

In the last year or so I have had to spend 3000 to get stuff fixed and now another 3500? Not this girl.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
My 05 Murano has a cracked transfer case my mechanic says will cost 3500 to 4000 to fix. I have always done maintenance as required for this vehicle since I bought it in 2007.

In the last year or so I have had to spend 3000 to get stuff fixed and now another 3500? Not this girl.
That's always the risk when you buy a used car. Who knows how your poor car was treated the first 2 years of its life. Fortunately for most Murano owners, your experience isn't typical. Though it does sound like you had a pretty good run from 2007 to 2013.

My 04 SE will be 10 years old next month, and has been the best car I've ever owned. It still has only 111K miles on it, however.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not having the time to read through all 33 pages of this thread what years seem to have the most issues? I read a couple of pages and seems to be the older ones with the issue, will keep an eye on my 2011 for sure to make sure though. Just wondering if it was the older ones of if the issue follows through through the newer ones yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can anyone tell me what transfer cases get put in when they replace the one that is bad? Is it a redesigned transfer case or just the same model.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Can anyone tell me what transfer cases get put in when they replace the one that is bad? Is it a redesigned transfer case or just the same model.
Not really much update on those TCs. Won't make a difference. What is important if you choose to fix your TC, is to never use the AWD LOCK BUTTON EVER. May it be intentional or accidental, never engage it. The only instance where you can use it is when you are totally stuck at stop. Once you get moving disengage immediately. This will ensure a longer TC life. Changing its fluid once every 60K or so will help too. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
transfer case

I just had the transfer case on my 2011 Murano replaced in July. I have been having a smell of antifreeze since I got it new, have brought in to the dealership multiple times, they pressure test it, tell me nothing is wrong, send me on my way. In May, they put dye in the coolant, told me they will check for leaks with black light when I brought it in for my oil change.

Bring it in in July for the oil change, still smelling antifreeze, this time they tell me the transfer case is leaking, so it was replaced under power train warranty. It's now October, and I STILL smell antifreeze! I'm now at 57,000 miles and know that as soon as I'm out of warranty, the elusive coolant leak will be found. Frustrated!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Inspect the hose that rubs against the adjustment bolt for the idle tension pulley. Could also be leaking heater core inside cabin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone tell me how many hrs labor it should take to replace all transfer case seals on my 2007 MO? The dealer (Dixie Nissan) said 16 hrs.

I'd also like to know if there is anything else I should be asking before repair is done,

Thx Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
Drive line p.o.s.

2006 murano awd p.o.s. - 69,000 easy miles - transfer case and rear drive shaft failure at the same time. This is in addition to numerous other "major/minor" problems with this vehicle. I will absolutely, positively, never, ever in a billion years own another nissan product.

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
I take it with a grain of salt when someone has a bad experience with one model out of manufacturer's line and announces "I will NEVER buy another Chevy/Ford/Nissan/Toyota/Honda/Kia/Hyundai again!"

There are good cars and not so good cars all over the place. One specific vehicle can have more problems than another. So it happens, it's not the end of the world. Usually it's a dealer or service place that really is the main irritant, but not always. And cars get better in many respects with generations. Look how much Kia and Hyndai have improved in the past 10 years.

Next year, the very vehicle you most need may be the same brand, different model. I understand the frustration, but I don't buy the statement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 Murano AWD, transfer case cracked/failed just before the warranty expired (60K miles?). I was lucky because it was completely covered. But no warning signs. I was at a stop light, once I started moving again (turning left), engine started thunking. I made it to where I needed to go, but had it towed to the dealership from there.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
2007 Murano AWD, transfer case cracked/failed just before the warranty expired (60K miles?). I was lucky because it was completely covered...
You are lucky! Standard factory power train warranty is 5 years or 60k miles, whichever comes first. Even extended warranties seldom go beyond 8 years, which means you should not have been covered. What was the secret? Or maybe this happened a long time ago?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have so many questions but will only ask one for now, does anyone have a picture of a cracked transfer case and where do they crack, is it always the exact same place?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Bumping this question. I'm not sure if the TC is the same, issues are the same, or what?

Anyone know?
One of the things I researched before I bought my 2017.5. I had it fail at 127,000 on my 2003 SL.

I've only read several instances of leakage from the transfer case and only in the 2015 year of this model. 2015 was a tough year for the Murano as far as small issues.

I learned my lesson on buying the first year of production or model changes. Second or third year of a model production seem to have the least amount of issues. Manufacturer has had time to work the bugs out.

Have a good day.

481 - 500 of 505 Posts
About this Discussion
504 Replies
191 Participants
Robotaz
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing