Nissan Murano Forum banner

Have you had a transfer case leak or failure?

• Yes

Votes: 238 60.1%
  • No

Votes: 158 39.9%

• Total voters
501 - 505 of 505 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I don't see much about the new ones leaking or failing on this forum. Considering the percentage of comments that are drive-by rants, I take that as a good sign.

One of the things I researched before I bought my 2017.5. I had it fail at 127,000 on my 2003 SL.

I've only read several instances of leakage from the transfer case and only in the 2015 year of this model. 2015 was a tough year for the Murano as far as small issues.

I learned my lesson on buying the first year of production or model changes. Second or third year of a model production seem to have the least amount of issues. Manufacturer has had time to work the bugs out.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
DIY Transfer Case repair

Hi all Mo-fo owners,
it took me 4 months to repair a Z51 TC after deciding against the Nissan quote of $5000 with the 2010 car worth only $8000.It was a long tedious job that had me swearing at the Mo like a sailor:cursin:.It began with a study of Nissan's TC workshop manual.The TC had a busted prop-shaft seal and huge oil leak which was caused by the pinion shaft bearings being shot with play of 3-4mm measured at the flange.It cost $1000 in parts(incl. full service items & oils) and $500 in pro tools.I installed SKF,NTN replacement bearings for the NSK ones.To get the TC out of the car and back in was the biggest tasks(massive PITA with Mo on jackstands:banghead:).The TC is snug behind the engine and too close to the hot rear bank exhaust for my taste and might explain excessive oil loss through the breather.The (2015-)Z52 Mo has a revised TC pinion bearing design.The pinion shaft bearings were replaced as per Nissan manual as well as one of the ring gear shaft bearings.It's really a involved process and requires great patience and strict adherence to the Nissan instructions.Getting the lash and preload correct meant ordering a new pinion shim which took 5 weeks from Japan.I didn't change the ring gear shim and just replaced one of the ring gear shaft bearings.I had to tighten the TC Adapter plate(casing) bolts to less than spec.(15Nm) to avoid bearing pinch.I also cut a gasket on the CVT side for a cooler TC and a heat shield between the TC and rear bank cylinder 5 exhaust). The CVT oil seal leak was also fixed.The car finally finished is better than new and gives consumption of 9.3km/l at 135 km/h(speed control:roadtrip:) or 21.9mpg(US) @ 85mph over a trip of 2000km:30:. And I love it's new dry clean underside that doesn't leak.I had to re-adjust the TC adapter plate bolts torque however because it was starting to "click" when pulling away as the TC slack(lash) is taken up.The Mo hates hard pullaways or it seems that the TC has to be nursed by only doing hard acceleration while already at speed.The Mo has never developed any other problems or rattles or squeaks but it has never been used off-road either.I also recently replaced the front lower brake caliper guide-pin tiny rubber boots that had swollen and froze as a result of the wrong grease and caused the brakes do drag on the discs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
My transfer cases failed 3 times. The front end went one at about 5000 miles, another time at about 35-40000 miles and the rear end went at about 45000. when the rear went the diff cover was cracked in half right down the center. If the resale value wasnt so terrible i would get rid of this heap asap.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My transfer cases failed 3 times. The front end went one at about 5000 miles, another time at about 35-40000 miles and the rear end went at about 45000. when the rear went the diff cover was cracked in half right down the center. If the resale value wasnt so terrible i would get rid of this heap asap.
Differential and transfer case are 2 different things. Transfer case sends power to the front and rear differentials. Sounds like you have only had differential failures.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Differential and transfer case are 2 different things. Transfer case sends power to the front and rear differentials. Sounds like you have only had differential failures.

Sounds like 2 TC, then the rear diff. Depressing, to say the least.

501 - 505 of 505 Posts
About this Discussion
504 Replies
191 Participants
Robotaz
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing