Nissan Murano Forum banner

Transfer Case Warning Signs?

6K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  GMTURBO43 
#1 ·
Well, I'm rather freaked out at the moment. I've been getting an intermittent whine/howl from my Murano. It basically sounds like a dry differential. The sound only happens when accelerating (and quietly when cruising), and goes away completely when I let off on the throttle. It's vehicle speed related, not engine speed.

P.S. My Murano is out of the powertrain warranty by 13,000km.

#2 ·
If you think you have a dry differential, why not check the fluid level?

#3 ·
That's what I was thinking, and, also, is it too late?

Well, put fluid in, if it's out and go looking for wrecks...

#4 ·
It can't be a differential. The front diff shares fluid with the tranny, so the tranny would have to be dry, and the rear diff isn't being used during normal driving on dry or damp pavement.

#5 ·
Tyler_Canada said:
It can't be a differential. The front diff shares fluid with the tranny, so the tranny would have to be dry, and the rear diff isn't being used during normal driving on dry or damp pavement.
I suppose if you think of the transmission as the front diff, then yes. However, there is also the transfer case (attached to the tranny) to consider. On the Murano, the transfer case is always spinning the rear driveshaft, even if AWD (i.e. the rear diff) is not engaged.

The front transfer case uses its own fluid, not tranny fluid. Both the front transfer and rear differential use 80w90 gear oil.

If you suspect the transfer case, why not check the fluid level just to be sure? Removal of the fill plug should not be too messy (the correct oil level is right to the base of the fill plug). There isn't even a gasket for the plug, its just held on with some thread locker (Loctite Blue i think).

#6 ·
The sound seems to be quite intermittent. Is it possible that it's tire noise? What makes me think it isn't is the fact that the sound completely disappears when I let off on the gas, and reappears when I step on it again.

#7 ·
Tyler_Canada said:
The sound seems to be quite intermittent. Is it possible that it's tire noise? What makes me think it isn't is the fact that the sound completely disappears when I let off on the gas, and reappears when I step on it again.
Before you experiment further, I highly recommend checking the fluids before you drive it more, just to get the possibility of a dry transfer case (which some have had issues with) out of the way.

#8 ·
The transfer case leaks, the fluid comes out, the gears wear... Mine was dripping it's fluid out and my perfect driveway now has about 60 spots on it from the Murano.

Could be!

#9 ·
The dealership is supposed to be inspecting that fluid level at least every other oil change (approx. every 3 months). I actually, ALMOST trust this dealership, they've been very great, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's something minor, like a U-joint or bearing. I'll probably stop by there tomorrow after work and get them to check the levels of the transfer case, the tranny and the rear diff.

#11 ·
You're right, I doubled checked and they don't ever check the diff or transfer case fluids, just the tranny (except CVT apparently). So I'll definately get it in tomorrow for that inspection.

#12 ·
Since your mechanic will likely put the car up on the lift to check the transfer/diff fluid levels, you might as wel have them change the fluid, its just one more bolt and about $5 worth of gear oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.