Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 2010 Murano awd at dealership for cvt fluid service. Three weeks later in for an oil leak which turns out it is from transfer case. Makes me wonder if something they did something wrong while servicing the transmission. They said I need a new transfer case which they will do for $4500. Can an independent mechanic do this or should it be done by the dealership

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
You don't need to replace the transfer case just because of a seal leak, just the seal needs to be replaced. However, it involves a bunch of labor, so it's still probably more than you would want to spend...

If you feel comfortable with getting under your Murano, just keep the transfer case topped off with gear oil. But, you need to be diligent checking and topping it off it because it only holds 5/8 pint, a little over a cup. Check it somewhat frequently until you have a feel for how fast it's leaking, usually transfer case leaks are VERY slow.

A CVT fluid service shouldn't affect the transfer case seal, it's probably just a coincidence it occurred soon after...

I'd ask the dealership why they think you need a new transfer case to address a seal leak, maybe there's more to the diagnosis...

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,311 Posts
I had my 2010 Murano awd at dealership for cvt fluid service. Three weeks later in for an oil leak which turns out it is from transfer case. Makes me wonder if something they did something wrong while servicing the transmission. They said I need a new transfer case which they will do for $4500. Can an independent mechanic do this or should it be done by the dealership
Did you notice the leak? If so, how much oil was there and could you determine if it was gear oil or CVT fluid? Do you hear a noise while driving (e.g. scrubbing, grinding, humming, groaning etc.) that would indicate the transfer case is actually damaged?

To answer your question, an independent mechanic can do that job and likely cheaper than at the dealership. An independent shop may also be amenable to using a used (but still good) transfer case rather than a brand new one ($2,000+) and that could save quite a bit of money as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you notice the leak? If so, how much oil was there and could you determine if it was gear oil or CVT fluid? Do you hear a noise while driving (e.g. scrubbing, grinding, humming, groaning etc.) that would indicate the transfer case is actually damaged?

To answer your question, an independent mechanic can do that job and likely cheaper than at the dealership. An independent shop may also be amenable to using a used (but still good) transfer case rather than a brand new one ($2,000+) and that could save quite a bit of money as well.
It is not making any noise. I usually park the car on gravel. I saw a leak after parking in a garage over night. The spot was 4 to 5 inches. The dealership topped it off. I drive about 10 miles a day 4 days a week

1 - 4 of 4 Posts