they gave me a ford tauras to drive till it gets fixed
like going from vette to pinto
should they have to offer me a car like one being fixed
how long is resonable to fix problem
only 20,000 miles on it

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think unless you have some written agreement or contract with your dealership, they are not obligated to give you a comparable loaner, just something with an engine and 4 wheels that will get you from point "A" to point "B". Maybe the more upscale dealerships like Lexus, Bmw, etc. may offer that sort of thing, but to my knowledge Nissan does not. My wife has a 2004 Saab 9-5 that needed an axle repaired and they gave her a crummy 4 banger that just about got the job done.

·
Registered
842 Posts
When I had my 92 Caravan and I needed to get 3 out of the 4 on board computers replaced 6 months after I got it I was forced to pay a per diem rate for neon. It sounds like you have a free loner.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The transfer case AND transmission went out on my Murano last year on Christmas Eve.

McGrath Nissan got my Murano back to me in 7 days. They did an outstanding job of fixing my MO. I've put 3000 miles on it and not as much as a whimper....

·
Registered
87 Posts
The seals on my transfer case were bad and the case was cracked, it took 2 days at Bill Kay Nissan downers grove, IL to get the work done even with ordering the case. In the meantime I had a kia optima 4-cyl that was horrible on gas, I couldn't wait to get back to the safety of my MO.

BEGIN RANT:
When I did get my MO back, I started to notice that the handling wasn't as crisp and that wheel alignment must be bad because now I'm holding the wheel about 3degrees to the left to go straight. I'm guessing they had to detach the steering linkage when dropping case and didn't get it put back exactly right. So its back to the dealer I will go and see if they will get that corrected, if they insist on charging me for it then I'll take it to the tire shop instead. This dealer also told me that my transmission fluid was very dirty and that it needed changing when it was in for the transfer case replacement, I reminded the service man that I just had my MO in 4 weeks prior and paid to have the trans fluid changed and perhaps he should check the service record. Now I don't know if I have dirty trans oil or a greedy Nissan service department and they said they were just confused. (Their story has too many disconnects to go into detail here). Also I had a cracked TPMS valve in my tire, they replaced it and 2 blocks away from the dealer after getting up to speed of 40 MPH or so I noticed that only 3 sensors were registering. I brought back the car right away and they showed me a printout of readings (the electronics in the car should consult the printout), showing that the replaced sensor is reading fine, but magically the sensor on the other wheel has died the moment I brought my car into the dealership. That said that it would have to be replaced too, but they didn't have the part in stock. I brought it back about a week later and insisted that they reprogram the sensor unit to recognize the new sensor, and that I would be willing to let the air out of each tire on my car to prove that the replaced unit is the one that's not showing up on my dash. The checked it out and behold I was right. So far I'm not impressed at all with Bill Kay Nissan in Downers Grove IL. - I think its time to find a new service center.
END RANT

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 03 Murano SL AWD and I also had a broken transfer case. Actually the grooves on the gear were broken. I had noticed a clanking sound previously. The picture below is of the broken gear.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
How many miles did you have, and did you ever change the transfer case gear oil?

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Ewwww shockloading. Schnapp!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I always took the car for regular maintenance at Nissan dealers and we always use Genuine Nissan Products. Reason why this is so strange. The car is only 32,000 miles. Amazing that it breaks so soon. Skinnerme

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
skinnerme said:
Yes, I always took the car for regular maintenance at Nissan dealers and we always use Genuine Nissan Products. Reason why this is so strange. The car is only 32,000 miles. Amazing that it breaks so soon. Skinnerme
I am not aware the transfer case service is recommended until 60,000 miles. The reason I ask this is because those of us who have not experienced this failure (yet) might be able to stave off damage by changing the fluid more frequently. If you had your transfer case oil changed at 30,000 miles, and the dealership didn't mess it up by putting in the wrong oil or even not filling it at all, then it would be clear that changing the oil has no effect on transfer case life.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
skinnerme said:
skinnerme-

It may have been simply a defective component, that would have failed regardless of the maintenance schedule.

It would be very interesting to know if this particular type of failure is responsible for the bulk of the reported x-fer case failures. In other words, did the particular gear in your photo contain a unique defect or is it an under-engineered component?

-njjoe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts