Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
It's been posted here a couple of times -- it is a very good video, the guy is awesome at clearly explaining the CVT.

Reactions: 2ndGenMaintainer

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
3rd gen. TC removal and reseal video.

Excellent video, I found it very informative.

Thoughts when watching it:
  • holy crap a lot of stuff needs to be removed to gain access to the transfer case! That would explain the high labor charge.
  • I also didn't realize it's the rubber seals that are replaced, I had thought it was a gasket for some reason...
  • also didn't realized there are several seals that are replaced.
  • why would a transfer case seal fail with so few miles? It seems to me it could only happen during assembly in the factory...
  • the seal placement appears to be a judgment call regarding how far the seals are inserted...
  • I would think a Nissan shop would have more specialized tools for tapping in the seals, the mechanic used whatever seemed like a close fit to him at the time... That's fine, that's what I would have to do, I just expected more from a Nissan service shop...
  • the gears in the transfer case look far more stout than I had envisioned. The are quite beefy looking to me... This made me more comfortable the transfer case wasn't overly wimpy in design...
My conclusion, I would try ATP AT-205 re-seal in hopes it could rejuvenate the faulty or minorly damaged seal. ATP-205 re-seal has a very good record of stopping main rear engine seals, I don't see any reason it wouldn't have similar success for transfer case seals. It's cheap enough to try vs. hundreds of dollars to replace the transfer case seals...

Thoughts?

Reactions: 2ndGenMaintainer

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent video, I found it very informative.

Thoughts when watching it:
  • holy crap a lot of stuff needs to be removed to gain access to the transfer case! That would explain the high labor charge.
  • I also didn't realize it's the rubber seals that are replaced, I had thought it was a gasket for some reason...
  • also didn't realized there are several seals that are replaced.
  • why would a transfer case seal fail with so few miles? It seems to me it could only happen during assembly in the factory...
  • the seal placement appears to be a judgment call regarding how far the seals are inserted...
  • I would think a Nissan shop would have more specialized tools for tapping in the seals, the mechanic used whatever seemed like a close fit to him at the time... That's fine, that's what I would have to do, I just expected more from a Nissan service shop...
  • the gears in the transfer case look far more stout than I had envisioned. The are quite beefy looking to me... This made me more comfortable the transfer case wasn't overly wimpy in design...
My conclusion, I would try ATP AT-205 re-seal in hopes it could rejuvenate the faulty or minorly damaged seal. ATP-205 re-seal has a very good record of stopping main rear engine seals, I don't see any reason it wouldn't have similar success for transfer case seals. It's cheap enough to try vs. hundreds of dollars to replace the transfer case seals...

Thoughts?
Absolutely. Seems like it wouldn't be too bad of a job to do if you didn't have to pull the cross member and all the other stuff out. Def need a lift though, stops us from being able to do a lot of otherwise straightforward jobs. I think your right about the tools and depth of seals, could easily be a fouled installation.
I wouldnt think it was an install issue if it hadn't been leaking from day one though, IDK. The AT205reseal sounds like it would work, based off its description. Looks like a whole bunch of people have bought it and that says something. Why not try it if the worst case solution is dropping the TC out and manually replacing parts anyways? Might save a buck or two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts