Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My wife has 2003 SL and I hope she is not the only one who has the following problem.

The plate on the bottom of the transmission gets constantly damaged when parking in front of concrete parking blocks. I had it replaced once (2 years ago) but it gets bent all the time and makes rattling noise when it touches tranny fins. My wife always pulls in into parking spots as far as she can until her front wheels touch the concrete stoppers so the metal plate that directs air towards the tranny gets bent constantly. I keep telling her not to pull up so far, but .....

It looks to me like a poor design that drastically reduces the car's clearance.

Did any updates ever come out to fix this?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
ellisina4-

They switched over to plastic on the 2004 (or 2005?) model. The plastic is a bit more forgiving but far from indestructible.

-njjoe

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
No more "parking by ear". :)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I question actually the need for the cooling fins. I can't imagine a small passive cooler like that would make a huge impact on CVT performance. That said, it might not be a bad idea to mention the clearance problem to your $tealership and if they are nice they might offer to replace it with the plastic one that njjoe mentioned.

I admit before I even knew about the low clearance of the CVT fins, I never scraped it on the concrete stoppers. It takes quite a distance to curb the wheels on those things! :D

Good luck.

·
Registered
485 Posts
A more high-tech solution would be to get one of those parking-distance sensors.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I had both metal and Plastic

Give me metal. Remove it and have reinforcing edge welded around the front lip. In Arizona in the summer when the road itself is 125F or more and you are on the highway you want it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts