Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , just a quick question.
I bought nissan murano 2007 3.5 v6 just got my new center exhaust replaced sounds like a new kitten also changed the left drive suspension arm and now running all smooth.
Car has 71k miles on clock , the previous owner really looked after it no scratches what so ever. Transmission seems to run really smooth engine sounds superb. But need some recommendations on the fluid when should I change it or maybe you guys done some routine to keep this transmission healthy and stable. And also I'm going for engine oil petronas 5w30 fully synthetic what's your engine oil brand?

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,098 Posts
I bought nissan murano 2007 3.5 v6 just got my new center exhaust replaced sounds like a new kitten also changed the left drive suspension arm and now running all smooth.
Car has 71k miles on clock , the previous owner really looked after it no scratches what so ever. Transmission seems to run really smooth engine sounds superb. But need some recommendations on the fluid when should I change it or maybe you guys done some routine to keep this transmission healthy and stable. And also I'm going for engine oil petronas 5w30 fully synthetic what's your engine oil brand?
Unless you know for sure that the CVT fluid was changed, you should do it now. Use a fluid that specifically has the "NS-2" specification on the label. Some may say to only use OEM fluid (esp. if under warranty--not your case) while I'm in the camp that aftermarket brands like Valvoline, Castrol, Amsoil, and Idemitsu (...they actually make the OEM fluid) are fine.

Motor oil? Any good brand 5W-30 synthetic should do. Mobil 1, Valvoline, Castrol etc. are popular here. I've never heard of Petronas but perhaps that's a popular brand over in Europe?

Reactions: DreamCar5683

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep I can tell from the fluid it's not dark brown and not black it's clear yellowish so I suppose that is a sign to change and thank you for the information , n yep petronas is one of the top class engine oils in Europe.

Thanks 😁👍

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unless you know for sure that the CVT fluid was changed, you should do it now. Use a fluid that specifically has the "NS-2" specification on the label. Some may say to only use OEM fluid (esp. if under warranty--not your case) while I'm in the camp that aftermarket brands like Valvoline, Castrol, Amsoil, and Idemitsu (...they actually make the OEM fluid) are fine.

Motor oil? Any good brand 5W-30 synthetic should do. Mobil 1, Valvoline, Castrol etc. are po
pular here. I've never heard of Petronas but perhaps that's a popular brand over in Europe?
Screenshot_20210105-071605_Samsung Internet.jpg
Will that be enough to change?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Let me know how it goes, I have a 2007 I bought from my dad and about to drain and refill. He took great care of the car and like yours shifts great just being proactive :)
I bought 3 gallons of Valvoline that's Ns-2 approved and plan on doing a drain and fill this weekend and again at the next oil change

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me know how it goes, I have a 2007 I bought from my dad and about to drain and refill. He took great care of the car and like yours shifts great just being proactive :)
I bought 3 gallons of Valvoline that's Ns-2 approved and plan on doing a drain and fill this weekend and again at the next oil change

Nice one buddy so happy with the car just worried with the cvt running on v6 3.5 liters and I wish you a safe journey thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nice one buddy so happy with the car just worried with the cvt running on v6 3.5 liters and I wish you a safe journey thanks.
My son has a 2013 civic we bought with 80K miles and it was shifting weird , its not a CVT.
On Honda's you drain 2.5 quarts and add it back and it made a big difference. Had a Honda guy say the people who change the fluid dopn't have issues, they ones that dont might..Even though Honda said " not required"

My only grip with nissan so far is whern I took my 2015 roque in for warrenty work they told me they recommend changing the brake fluid every 20K for a small ( LOL ) fee..I said no thanks :)
I have never changed brake fluid in any car but was told by a friend who lived in the coast he did because of the high humidly

·
Super Moderator
8,580 Posts
Brake fluid in all cars should be changed about every 3 years. Brake fluid draws moisture, and over time the water will corrode brake caliper pistons and cause brakes to hang up or otherwise malfunction. Having lived in TX as well as WA and CO, I can tell you that this happens faster in high humidity areas, but it happens everywhere.

I've had the caliper pistons hang up in a Jeep Grand Cherokee and make the brakes drag, causing tremendous heat. It could have set the pads on fire, but I caught it in time. That cost me a new caliper and new front end rotors and pads; unfortunately I was stuck in Denver until this could be done.

When in TX, I had two clutch slave cylinders in my 280ZX lock up in five years due to the same kind of corrosion. IN each case it was an easy replacement, but it was clearly due to the humidity affecting the brake fluid used in the clutch slave system. I solved that by cleaning the clutch circuit and replacing the brake fluid with DOT5, which is silicone-based and does not draw moisture from the atmosphere. I haven't had another problem with the clutch slave cylinder in more than 20 years.

So yes, you DO need to do this, and in every vehicle you own.

Reactions: NissanXTC

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
View attachment 52548
Will that be enough to change?
If you're just removing the drain plug and letting whatever is in the oil pan come out then that should be sufficient, but there's no specification on how much oil is required for a CVT oil change. Most people get somewhere between 4-5 quarts (1 quart is close to 1 liter), but YMMV. Thus, you'll want to measure what comes out and put exactly that amount back in through the dipstick tube and then do the procedure for checking the fluid level and adjust as needed (see the "Maintenance" file in the service manual linked below).

https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're just removing the drain plug and letting whatever is in the oil pan come out then that should be sufficient, but there's no specification on how much oil is required for a CVT oil change. Most people get somewhere between 4-5 quarts (1 quart is close to 1 liter), but YMMV. Thus, you'll want to measure what comes out and put exactly that amount back in through the dipstick tube and then do the procedure for checking the fluid level and adjust as needed (see the "Maintenance" file in the service manual linked below).

https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals
Thanks buddy , what about cleaning the transmission sump and is there any filter , gaskets to replace or just drain out the same amount and put the fresh fluids in.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Thanks buddy , what about cleaning the transmission sump and is there any filter , gaskets to replace or just drain out the same amount and put the fresh fluids in.
Yes, if you want to take that extra step and drop the pan etc. then there are filter kits available like this one that you can find on Amazon and eBay (just confirm with the vendor that it will fit your car): ATP Automotive B-428 Filter Kit

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, if you want to take that extra step and drop the pan etc. then there are filter kits available like this one that you can find on Amazon and eBay (just confirm with the vendor that it will fit your car): ATP Automotive B-428 Filter Kit
Thank you for this information and effort to get the part link will definitely get this part and replace it , let's hope this kitten will run for another few years after reading world wide reviews doesnt seem good, but if I managed to wake Nissan note 2008 and take it to 170k miles automatic transmission , i believe I will manage this MO to run.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you for this information and effort to get the part link will definitely get this part and replace it , let's hope this kitten will run for another few years after reading world wide reviews doesnt seem good, but if I managed to wake Nissan note 2008 and take it to 170k miles automatic transmission , i believe I will manage this MO to run.
Let me know how the filter looks. I am just going to do a drain and fill the first time

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let me know how the filter looks. I am just going to do a drain and fill the first time
Fingers crossed will manage to get it in a week from europe , last option will be from USA. But will definitely let you know guys on here thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi.. I have a 2003 Murano.. same motor as you.. I have an audible exhaust leak and interested in what exactly is your "center exhaust" that you had a replaced? What cost?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi.. I have a 2003 Murano.. same motor as you.. I have an audible exhaust leak and interested in what exactly is your "center exhaust" that you had a replaced? What cost?

Thanks!
Hi buddy , I had my exhaust and arm suspension repaired and plus parts cost me 400 Great British Pounds used Klarius exhaust and arm suspension was from Germany was an easy first step , now changing the old engine oil sump with new gasket and also putting very good quality engine oil.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts