Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 09. No idea what kind of fluids they put into it. Can I flush, drop the pan, put in the proper ns2 fluid and not mess it up. I Know there is still fluid in other parts I can't get to. I don't want to mess up my transmission. But, I can't afford a shop to do it either. There's no telling if they'd even fully flushed it anyway. Would flushing and dropping the pan get enough of what's in there out? Or, is my best option paying insane prices for a pro to do it?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
How many miles? Lots of old post on how to do a modified flush on 1st gen. Applies to your car. Or do the drain and fill 2-3 times and driving in between to get it close to 90% new fluid. You usually get 5-6 quarts per drain. Get a case. No issues doing it yourself. NO need to remove the pan. But if you insist, its ok too. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
For information on what fluids your Murano requires, you can download the owner's manual and service manual from the following links.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,318 Posts
Or do the drain and fill 2-3 times and driving in between to get it close to 90% new fluid.
This is basically the procedure recommended by Nissan for the 2nd generation Murano. The only thing that makes changing the CVT fluid more complicated than a regular oil change is the procedure for checking the fluid level afterward, which you can find in the "Maintenance" section of the service manual that @MuranoSL2003 linked before. You will need an M10 hex bit to remove the drain plug and a funnel with a very narrow spout since refilling is done through the dipstick tube. There is an o-ring on the drain plug that Nissan says should be replaced, but I've reused mine probably more than a dozen times--just make sure it's not worn/frayed.

The original post never stated how many miles are on the car, but if high mileage then you may want to consider dropping/cleaning the transmission pan and also cleaning the screen filter that attaches to the valve body as this could also give you an idea of the condition of the CVT (i.e. lots of sludge and metal shavings then beware).

There is another external filter on top of the CVT that can easily be replaced through the LH wheel well (Nissan Part No. 31726-1XE0A).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many miles? Lots of old post on how to do a modified flush on 1st gen. Applies to your car. Or do the drain and fill 2-3 times and driving in between to get it close to 90% new fluid. You usually get 5-6 quarts per drain. Get a case. No issues doing it yourself. NO need to remove the pan. But if you insist, its ok too. Good luck.
195k. Isn't the filter in the pan? How far should I drive in between drains?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the fluid. I'll give it a go this weekend. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
210 Posts
With a 195k the most I would do is a drain, no flush. I have 95k on my 09. Checked the fluid recently it was very clean. Since I have not issues with it I’m not touching it. Over the years there have been numerous posts on problems after high miles fluid changes especially after a flush.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought a used 09. No idea what kind of fluids they put into it. Can I flush, drop the pan, put in the proper ns2 fluid and not mess it up. I Know there is still fluid in other parts I can't get to. I don't want to mess up my transmission. But, I can't afford a shop to do it either. There's no telling if they'd even fully flushed it anyway. Would flushing and dropping the pan get enough of what's in there out? Or, is my best option paying insane prices for a pro to do it?
Do NOT FLUSH... period. Drain and fill.... since its an 09 I'm guessing the warrenty on the transmission is up.. so you can use another fluid besides Nissan. OEM trans fluid is insanely expensive..but absolutely necessary if under warrenty. If not.. get an equivalent from another manf. NS-2 CVT good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya I did. It's a ns2 type. Send to be working fine for the moment

1 - 9 of 9 Posts