Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed this in recent weeks... especially today when on a short road trip to another city. The lighter i accelerate the better it seems (less jerk) but its definitely noticeable most times.

My transmission isnt leaking nor has it had issues before but im just curious about what might be causing it. Someone else said on this board they wrre having the exact same thing but 15 mph is the torque converter lockup speed... Wonder if thats the problem source.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The other thing is that it seems to be slow to engage drive. I back out of my garage and after putting it in drive, press the gas and it does a slight jerk. I always wait for it shift.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
It shouldn't jerk noticeably when accelerating...

I recommend the Android app CVTz50, it can read CVT error codes, many other scanners can't:

How many miles? Has the CVT fluid ever been serviced?

If you are mechanically inclined, do a CVT drain and fill. Check for metal debris in the pan, and clean or replace the internal filter. If things looked particular bad, replace the external filter too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Approximately $148,000 MI... I took it to a Nissan dealership last year in the spring to get the transmission fluid flush and I paid them like 300 bucks and I don't think they did anything for it... Took them 30 minutes. I think that the fluid might be bad I think you're right about that...

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Approximately $148,000 MI... I took it to a Nissan dealership last year in the spring to get the transmission fluid flush and I paid them like 300 bucks and I don't think they did anything for it... Took them 30 minutes. I think that the fluid might be bad I think you're right about that...
The filters are also important. Given the amount of miles there will be metal wear debris in the pan and filters. This can lead to both increased wear and fluid pressure issues (which may be your issue...)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The filters are also important. Given the amount of miles it has worn and there will be metal wear debris in the pan and filters. This can lead to both increased wear and fluid pressure issues (which may be your issue...)
Thank you for the information. And i understand the filter needs changing. Will do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Purely out of curiosity does anyone think aftermarket CVT fluid would be good? Technology has changed (lots) since 2007. I can't afford $85 in new fluid right now, I am not getting any hours at work, not without resorting to savings or a CC.

·
Premium Member
Oct 2010 Ti Australian Model (Manufactured Japan)
147 Posts
Purely out of curiosity does anyone think aftermarket CVT fluid would be good? Technology has changed (lots) since 2007. I can't afford $85 in new fluid right now, I am not getting any hours at work, not without resorting to savings or a CC.
All the proper stuff costs what it costs. Googling may be your best bet.
The [email protected]!%box CVT needs to be well looked after else it's a big cost to replace, or buy another car without a CVT (cos CVTs can be a nightmare).
The following is a long read, where I think different transmission oil types were used as an experiment, but it seemed as though money and keeping the car running weren't the issue.
Rear differential, transfer case, CVT filter/fluid changes, P0868, P1778, CVTz50, step motor, CVT metal shavings | Nissan Murano Forum
Cheers

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
There are varying opinions, but I think any major brand CVT fluid the specifies it's compatible with Nissan's should be fine. Castrol has a product that I would consider... Do your research, and decide on what you are comfortable with...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It shouldn't jerk noticeably when accelerating...

I recommend the Android app CVTz50, it can read CVT error codes, many other scanners can't:

How many miles? Has the CVT fluid ever been serviced?

If you are mechanically inclined, do a CVT drain and fill. Check for metal debris in the pan, and clean or replace the internal filter. If things looked particular bad, replace the external filter too.
I have a question about the CVT fluid deterioration statistic in the app... What is a 4598 (+ 0) and then in the data monitor area it shows a time of like 11:50:35?? What does that mean? I just scanned it with the app and I've got no dtc codes on engine or cvt.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I have a question about the CVT fluid deterioration statistic in the app... What is a 4598 (+ 0) and then in the data monitor area it shows a time of like 11:50:35?? What does that mean? I just scanned it with the app and I've got no dtc codes on engine or cvt.
The 4598 (+ 0) stuff is the fluid deterioration count. It increments when the cvt fluid is over a certain temperature. Nissan states that when it reaches ~210k the fluid should be replaced... I have never seen the number anywhere near that high... I consider it to be useless as a gauge of when to change the cvt fluid... Your number is very low, presumably because Nissan reset it when you had your CVT fluid serviced.

If the 11:50:35 is in the lower right corner, I think it's just the time of day.

Reactions: deeman

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Ok my tires are sort of bald I think it was just the tires catching the pavement
This doesn't match up with what you mentioned in your first post... You mentioned it jerking...

How bald are your tires? What were the conditions of the pavement when the jerking occurred (wet, snowy, muddy, etc.?)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was snowy and wet in places. I live in WI. My tires are just over lincoln's head in terms of tread depth. I bought them in august of 2020 but I had alignment issues and they seem to have worn prematurely.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just noticed this in recent weeks... especially today when on a short road trip to another city. The lighter i accelerate the better it seems (less jerk) but its definitely noticeable most times.

My transmission isnt leaking nor has it had issues before but im just curious about what might be causing it. Someone else said on this board they wrre having the exact same thing but 15 mph is the torque converter lockup speed... Wonder if thats the problem source.
Based on my experience, I want you to advise that before your jump on doing anything to the transmission itself, please check if your electrical power system (Battery) is in good shape. Most cases a aging battery can make the car behave weirdly and can exhibit a myriad of issues. The CVT has sensitive stepper motor which needs to operate smoothly to ensure the transmission gear ratios are changed continuously as demanded. It is vital that proper voltage is available the electrical circuitry in the CVT and elsewhere.

When was the last you changed your battery or done a load test ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Based on my experience, I want you to advise that before your jump on doing anything to the transmission itself, please check if your electrical power system (Battery) is in good shape. Most cases a aging battery can make the car behave weirdly and can exhibit a myriad of issues. The CVT has sensitive stepper motor which needs to operate smoothly to ensure the transmission gear ratios are changed continuously as demanded. It is vital that proper voltage is available the electrical circuitry in the CVT and elsewhere.

When was the last you changed your battery or done a load test ?
New battery as of October 2021. No worries about that. I have trouble fathoming how a battery could affect such a stepper motor when there is a perfectly functioning alternator operating in the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
1,581 Posts
New battery as of October 2021. No worries about that. I have trouble fathoming how a battery could affect such a stepper motor when there is a perfectly functioning alternator operating in the vehicle.
Welcome to the world of Nissan electrical specs. Aftermarket sensors made with a few less copper windings will fail on a newer Nissan due to the electrical resistance being out of Nissan's specs, because of the less windings in the cheaper sensor.

Take the Nissan cam sensor. By now, everyone here should know that you can only use Nissan's OEM brand. A cheaper one will have less windings, sending an electrical reading that will be slightly out of spec to the engine ECU. The ECU will use this out of spec signal to adjust the cams, but the adjustment will be a little off, causing running issues. If's far enough out of spec, the car won't even run.

Add a little corrosion along the wiring to sensors and you start getting the same results as a bad sensor. One of the reasons why working with Nissan's electronics can seem to be hit or miss sometimes.

Both the alternator and A/C compressor electrical plugs are located where they are susceptible corrosion and damage potentially causing an electrical issue in other areas. Once you have corrosion on a wire, it will affect other electrical components using the same path. Be thinking that you should be checking all wiring and components on an electrical circuit when you're having issues in one area, like all of a sudden having CVT issues. The best way to do this is to find the fuse for the component having issues, checking anything else that is also using that circuit, including wiring in between, particularly any connector along the electrical path.

Have a good day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts