Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning the transmission in my 2004 Mo seems to have gone bad. While driving I felt the transmission "slip" out of gear and the vehicle would no longer accelerate while pressing the gas. At a very low speed, tried putting it in "D", "S", and "L" gear but got no response. Pulled into a parking lot. Recycled the engine and tried to drive again. The car would go into reverse and did go into gear but very soon after pressing the gas felt the transmission slip out of gear again. I'm thinking the transmission needs replacement (246,000 miles) and don't want to bother replacement given cost (?) and the age. Any thoughts?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
Have you checked the transmission fluid? Also, do you have a check engine light or scanned for codes?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Agreed, worth a shot regarding replacing the CVT fluid. Here's an interesting video, I don't think Lucas's products are expensive over in the States, but you'd need to check it's good to use on a Murano. Still, at that mileage she's done well!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Well, no check engine light came on and haven't checked the fluid levels. Would low levels cause this?
I would think a low fluid level could cause the problems you mentioned, it needs fluid pressure to operate. However, your CVT doesn't consume fluid, so I would think you would be able to see a sizable leak for this problem to occur...

Definitely check the level though, and check for codes with an OBD2 scanner that can retrieve Nissan TCM codes, most inexpensive ones don't. Generally, the CVT will not light the check engine light.

Wow, 246k miles on you Murano, that's awesome! It shows they can go the distance, but no car or transmission lasts forever...

·
Registered
564 Posts
Agreed, worth a shot regarding replacing the CVT fluid. Here's an interesting video, I don't think Lucas's products are expensive over in the States, but you'd need to check it's good to use on a Murano. Still, at that mileage she's done well!
Interesting product, but not recommended for CVTs per the label on the bottle...

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: Mechanic informed me that the transmission generated multiple error codes and needed to be replaced. Plus, the diagnostics also showed the alternator had to be replaced and was leaking oil too. And...I was about due to replace the tires as well. All this added up to move on and purchase a new Murano. Final total...245,673 miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Update: Mechanic informed me that the transmission generated multiple error codes and needed to be replaced. Plus, the diagnostics also showed the alternator had to be replaced and was leaking oil too. And...I was about due to replace the tires as well. All this added up to move on and purchase a new Murano. Final total...245,673 miles.
Amen... Or as we say here: she had a good innings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This morning the transmission in my 2004 Mo seems to have gone bad. While driving I felt the transmission "slip" out of gear and the vehicle would no longer accelerate while pressing the gas. At a very low speed, tried putting it in "D", "S", and "L" gear but got no response. Pulled into a parking lot. Recycled the engine and tried to drive again. The car would go into reverse and did go into gear but very soon after pressing the gas felt the transmission slip out of gear again. I'm thinking the transmission needs replacement (246,000 miles) and don't want to bother replacement given cost (?) and the age. Any thoughts?
Thanks
It's probably done. We changed our CVT at around 203,000 miles, it cost us around $4000.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts