Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have 2009 murano and it went to limp mode not exceeding 45 miles an hour( which I found out called lump mode). The engine light came on with the error code p1777. I checked the code and it said the stepper motor in transmission valve body. I changed the stepper motor and new filter and new cvt oil. I discounted the battery in order to reset the error code. I started the car and now the car didn't move at all. I ordered a rebuilt valve body online and I am changing now. On the package for valve body, there is a note that I need to reprogrammthe valve body. Any suggestions on how to do this or anything else that help me please.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I changed the stepper motor and new filter and new cvt oil.
When you say "new filter", which filter do you mean? The filter attached to the valve body or the external filter that sits on top of the CVT? What brand/part number did you use?

As far as "programming"--unless you change the entire valve body you don't need to do anything with the TCM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The filter on the valve body.i changed the stepper motor and that's when the car stopped moving completely. I am changing the complete valve body. I need to know how to reprogram it.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
The filter on the valve body.i changed the stepper motor and that's when the car stopped moving completely. I am changing the complete valve body. I need to know how to reprogram it.
See below for a couple of threads (there are others as well) regarding the improper fitment of aftermarket valve body filters on the 2nd generation Murano--the oil pickup tends to be too long so it pushes against the oil pan causing oil starvation. You should drop the pan again and inspect for this ASAP. Do you still have the original filter?

2010 Murano transmission drain, fill and fail =(

2014 stepper motor replaced (fixed)

There is a ROM assembly on the valve body that contains data the TCM uses for CVT operation and as long as that ROM stays with the same TCM no programming is necessary. If the valve body is changed then you need to move the ROM assembly from the old valve body to the new valve body unless you're also changing the TCM, in which case there is a procedure that can be performed that doesn't require a scan tool.

See the "Transmission and Transaxle" file in the service manual for your car: https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have the original filter. I bought the filter and gasket from auto zone. I am gone zee if I cam Change the room before I install the valve body. I am very greatly fir you responses and taking the time to respond.

·
Registered
23 Posts
there is a note that I need to reprogramm
What exactly is written there? There might be two 'reprogrammings' related to CVT:
1. Updating TCM firmware to latest version. That should be generally good for the transmission. There were some service bulletins recommending to update TCM firmware with valve body replacement - probably the update improves transmission control logic or maybe makes it compatible with new valve body revisions.
2. Copying calibration data from valve body ROM to TCM. ROM in the valve body stores calibration data describing performance of the installed valves. Rebuilt valve body likely already has replacement valves so original calibration data doesn't make sense (I doubt that workshop has ability to calibrate the unit) but this procedure may also trigger TCM to clear recorded error state and reset adaptations

·
Registered
340 Posts
Changing the stepper motor should not have caused it to not move. I highly suspect the new screen you put in is not correct. It probably has too long of a flow tube compared to the old one and isn't lifting any fluid from the pan. I wouldn't run the car until you verify this. I tried finding a new screen for my 2nd gen and couldn't find the correct one anywhere. They definitely sold them as gen 2 compliant but none of them actually were correct. I returned them and cleaned out the old screen with brake clean, good as new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts