Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,

So - my wife said she put the Murano (2007) in reverse, but the car went forward (slightly downhill) so she double checked the selection and still no solution. She said the gas pedal was really soft. So she shut it off and all was well on restart.

Then, a few month later she reversed out of a space, but on selecting drive it continued backwards. Engine sound was off. So she restarted and all is well.

So we went to the dealer, they found nothing but we need to replace transmission oil, control arms, drive belts, seal oil pan etc totaling almost $2000.

I am reluctant to spend that on an older car with some unknown issue.

Any idea what may be happening to the transmission? Is this the shifter, linkage, possibly computer?

Thanks for any ideas / comments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What - do you mean this may still be under warranty? it's got 107K and I am not original owner.

The fault isn't known to be transmission, it is super-infrequent and I am not clear 100% what happened.
I half suspect user error, although my wife is sure where the shift lever was it sounds like maybe the transmission was in neutral & car just rolled.
I did wonder if the engine was even running but daren't suggest that.

Anyway turns out the dealer may not be the very brightest at finding problems & this is a tough one, I am getting a second dealer to quote on the repair work & see if they can diagnose the mystery problem.

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
As far as...

Drive belts: replace them; they're due unless you have done them recently.
Oilpan seal: if leaking, fix it.
Control arms: they're a known wear spot on the Murano, but does it really need it/

My advice: do not go to the dealer for any of these. They are much more expensive than an indepndent shop. Find a competent independent and have them replace the belts and evaluate both the oil pan and the control arms. Make a decision after you know more.

But keep in mind; refusing to have work done on an older car is WRONG. That's guaranteed to make it unreliable and trouble-prone. When a car gets to 100K miles, you must be at least as vigilant and careful with maintenance as you did earlier. A common reason that people decide high mileage cars are not reliable is because they get cheap and stop maintaining them! Don't make that mistake. repairs and maintenance are much less expensive than buying another car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
As Pilgrim noted lower control arms are a known problem, probably because of the 18" tires. If you got 100K out of them then you did real good. Keeping the CVT fluid clean is a must on the 1st gen Murano's. Never heard of oil pan leaking. However, the oil cooler gasket is a real problem on these engines. If it has never been replaced, then that is probably the problem not the oil pan gasket.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Keeping the CVT fluid clean is a must on the 1st gen Murano's. Never heard of oil pan leaking.
But with only just over 100K miles on the car, did the CVT deterioration date analysis REALLY indicate the CVT fluid needs to be changed? Based on my own experience, that sounds too early to me. Then again, I'm the original owner of my 04 Mo, so I know exactly how it has been driven the last 11+ years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow thanks for all the input. They did say oil cooler, cvt oil they said is dirty and other items are believable. I am inclined to fix the whole thing, and agree good independent may be the way to go. I'll get it priced.
Certainly if we keep it we will fix it, although we could also punt and get a new one. I do really like the car, it fits our lifestyle well and I love the memory seats.

However, don't forget the 'wife' factor. None of this work addresses the original 'gear selection' complaint and craziness around that. Wife rejected a new car - although she is primary driver and I just got a shiny new truck. But, if I sink $2K into this and the mystery problem returns she may change her mind. Which of course will double annoy me. You know what causes trouble in this life and honestly things with tires aren't that bad.

So I am still stuck trying to diagnose the original problem which may or may not have happened. Almost impossible I know unless someone has a genius idea.

BTW I shared the good news about the transmission warranty with my wife, but she says why do we need a transmission anyway, is that the stick thing that goes to the back wheels? Adorable. But maybe not the best partner in diagnosing problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just talked with my colleagues

Is it possible there is some kind of pneumatic / solenoid selector to change from forward to reverse? Something like that or control of it is jacked?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
Wolfrhan
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing