Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if any one else has had this problem about the air scoop for the transmission cooler, that it gets hit from time to time due to high angles on parking ramps and higher than normal bumps.
Yes, I have hit mine and had to bend it back into shape.

I know that the cooler is flush mounted to the transmission, but I am wondering if any one has taken it off and operated the Mo withn no problems with the air scoop off.

As we are entering the winter season in Canada I wonder if it is really doing anything when the temperatures get cool.:8:

·
Registered
741 Posts
One of my friends is a Nissan Tech working at my dealer. When he went at the zone for their yearly updates on all Nissan vehicles, he was told that the scoop was put there only as "belt & suspenders" for very hot climate regions but that here in Canada, it could be removed without a problem. In any case, there is only 4 bolts keeping it in place so if you have to visit you dealer, you could simply install it back on.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I think the 04 are plastic and they can fit inplace on an 03 so perhaps if you had a plastic scoop you wouldn't have to bend it back into shape all the time.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gonzo said:
I think the 04 are plastic and they can fit inplace on an 03 so perhaps if you had a plastic scoop you wouldn't have to bend it back into shape all the time.
Thanks Gonzo
But where I live the temperatures can and have gotten down to -38C ( which is the same as -38F, we refer to that as B.C weather, Bloody Cold not British Columbia) if the scoop is made of plastic I am sure I would shear it off on the first snow drift I see. I contacted the dealer this AM and he quoted me $60 for a new one, I will definatley ask him is it plastic or metal.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Stoker said:
I am wondering if any one else has had this problem about the air scoop for the transmission cooler, that it gets hit from time to time due to high angles on parking ramps and higher than normal bumps.
Yes, I have hit mine and had to bend it back into shape.
I just recently got mine hit when parking too...i thought i did some major damage because of the screech it made but it wasn't bent out of shape when I looked. I was surprised too that it's so low but I don't think I'll take it out unless it becomes a real bother.

·
Registered
828 Posts
It is mounted too low. About a year ago I posted an idea that I may still persue. An air activated air scoop.

At speed under say 20MPH it would simply stay flush against fins but the way of a weight or springs. As you drive faster, wind would lower the scoop.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Nice idea but I suspect that Nissan already thought about his and the proximity with the ground would make the system fail (dirt, tar, snow, ice) after a while. Unlike the wing of a Porsche for example (activated by a motor), this would only have the pressure of the wind against the ice or dried mud to fight against.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
You could do something simple and fail safe.... spring loaded with air resistance. The faster you go the farther it opens. If the sping fails it will "fall" open.

·
Registered
828 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Ah yes I forgot about your drawing. Maybe that is where my idea came from... sorry.

I still like it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Don’t apologize.. Great minds think alike

Gonzo said:
Ah yes I forgot about your drawing. Maybe that is where my idea came from... sorry.

I still like it.
:D

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Great idea. The only problem I can think of is if you accidentally scrape it and bend it, it may "lock" in closed position.

·
Registered
68 Posts
A snow bank did take mine off last winter, and I didn't realize it for quite a while. It was replaced under warranty. We'll see what happenes this winter. I guess I can't really take advantage of the MO's AWD.

·
Registered
828 Posts
No worse than now, right?

Now you will always bend it hitting an object. With this design at least you would have a very good chance the scoop would be up when moving slow, thus not bending it.

zebelkhan said:
Great idea. The only problem I can think of is if you accidentally scrape it and bend it, it may "lock" in closed position.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts