Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else noticed this:
I reset two of my trip meters last time i got gas. I hit reset on the odometer based one "A" and the "Trip 1" on the Nav. Well, when i checked about 25 miles later, "A" read 26.5 whereas "T1" had 28 miles on them.

I don't want to start anything here, as far as, "My MO is broken...", i just brought this up to get some input from our more technically savy members. Since "A" is based on the mechanical odometer and T1 on the NAV w/ GPS - can i assume that the NAV based one is more accurate?
I hope so, because that means over the life of the vehicle i "save" a few hundred miles i've actually travelled from reaching my odometer.

Any insight on this?

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Well, if you think about it, your mechanical odometer is based on the diameter of your tires. So if your tires are exactly set to the size that your odometer is expecting, then it should be very accurate. But with the size of the tires compared to your distance (around 28 miles) it certainly wouldn't take much change in diameter (i.e. air pressure) to throw off the accuracy.

So yeah, when you go to sell your MO on down the road a few years, the odometer reading might not be accurate. The car might have more or less miles on it than stated. In your case, it's working in your favor! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts