Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody
greetings from mexico

i just bought a full loaded murano fwd with everything but sat and navigation( which are not available here)

i found out that when you want to have the fuel economy or the trip counter on the center display it only appears for a couple of seconds when the radio is on and you are moving and then either one disappears.

when you turn the radio off, they do not dissappear. when your are stopped they don't disappear even when the radio is on.

so... they do not stick when the radio is on and you are moving, is there a way to make them stick with the radio on and moving??

·
5,268 Posts
congratulations on your purchase!

As far I know it cannot be changed. Sorry......

·
4,664 Posts
I'm trying to remember, but there was a condition where you could get them both on. I'm trying to remember if it was to have it on, but the radio off, when you turned off the ignition, and then turn on the ignition and turn on the radio without changing anything, or the other way around.

Normally, the radio flushes the display, so you can't have them both.

·
Registered
466 Posts
This is one feature that I wish could be changed. I would like to know the engineers train of thought here as to why they programmed the computer this way.:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Dookie said:
This is one feature that I wish could be changed. I would like to know the engineers train of thought here as to why they programmed the computer this way.:confused:
Like most things, it was probably a bug that they decided to live with. You know, the Microsoftie mentality :16:

~ Corin

·
4,664 Posts
I would expect it's just good programming habits. If you are going to write to the display, you should clean it up, before you put new data on it. The Sat receiver does this. It purposely sends blank strings to clear the memory of the head unit, before writing the current artist and song, when initialising.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope:

i did all the combinations, and for sure where the radio is on and the car is moving , you can't have the trip or the econ fuel info on display for more than a couple of seconds

:) did bill gates design this???

·
Registered
26 Posts
Engineers

I'm an Engineer, and we always get the bad rap !! haha!

I agree with everyone. I thought it was ridiculous that there wasn't an option for this.

But believe me, management, marketing, accountants and lawyers have far more say than any engineer.

But who knows, since this was built in Japan, perhaps they actually have more say!

·
4,664 Posts
So being an engineer, you know each component was designed separately and they were given rules on talking to the display. Clear out the data that's there, before you write yours...

That would be much easier to manage in development, then having meetings about what should stay on, and what shouldn't...:(

·
Registered
19 Posts
jaak - I think if your theory were correct the econ display time would not be consistent. If the radio display was clearing the econ display, we would occasionally see the econ display cleared immediately. I tend to think it working as (ill-)designed.

·
4,664 Posts
Yeah, you could be right too. I just know there's a number of independantly designed and manufactured devices all trying to talk to the same display through the CAN bus. Clarion makes the radio, who knows who makes the devices that send the other information, including if a door is open. That's why I speculate that they were designed in silos. It's got that appearance to me.

I suspect that there's priority assigned to devices and this is why it goes away after a period. Actually they'd have to assign priority, because you wouldn't want that, or a SAT channel to override an open door, for example.

I agree, I'd like them to seek peaceful co-existance. Maybe the 05's?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I think the excuse from Nissan is that they don't want drivers staring at the display for too long, it might take your eyes off the road. Makes sense to me, although at this point I don't even want to look at the fuel economy guage. <15mpg is pretty sad anyway you look at it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Or maybe its characteristic of non-GPS systems? I have an 04 SE AWD (still makes me :D to say that). Since I only got it last week, I'm still playing with the systems. Once thing I noticed is that unlike Baffo, when I don't have my GPS display showing (i.e., by either turning it to the trip screen or not hitting "I agree" at start up), the display stays on the trip display, fuel economy display, TPMS display or blank screen - whichever, I left on last. This is both with the radio on and off. So I don't think Nissan excluded this on other models on purpose or because their lawyers told them it had to be designed that way.

Jim

·
Registered
265 Posts
It must be something in the controls in the back. In my '03 Mo it would do exactly what everyone is saying, no matter what you would do the Fuel Econ would go away. Now that I've disconnected my stereo and am running a different head it stays on once I push it.

·
4,664 Posts
It stays on if the radio is off, too... So the same effect.

·
Registered
265 Posts
:32: Ooopsl....sometimes I wonder where my brain is...that was the entire issue to begin with my bad :twak:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts