Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently sustained a ding on the rear bumper of my '04 SE AWD--dented plastic body panel (golf ball sized dent) and minor paint scratches (sheer silver).

of course, it's totally aggravating as my eyes seem to go right to the dent when i look at my car. ugh!!

i'm thinking of taking it to a body shop for repairs and wonder if anyone can offer some insight as to how a shop would fix this sort of problem. is it as easy as a bondo filler with a new coat of paint?? has anyone had a similar experience? what can i expect to pay for this type of fix?

should i research finding a new rear bumper body panel and just have it painted and installed?

help!! my car's too new to look like this!!

kirk

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
I've had to park mirror-over-mirror next to my wife's Hyundai for 6 years now, and a couple months ago I wasn't concentrating when I parked. I scraped the very edge of her mirror down my passenger door for about 4 inches directly below my mirror. A nice white line down the side of my door. It didn't look dented until I looked from an angle and could see the distortion in the reflection. No paint was scratched off of my car. During an oil change I asked the dealer to have their collision shop write up an estimate.

The estimate included stuff like removing the right front quarter panel, the right front door handle, the right front door, then repair, paint, baking, and reinstallation. $453 for a dent barely deep enough to rest a pencil in on the side of the car I hardly ever see.

Another time, I was visiting a friend and as I went to get back into my car, I saw that practically the entire left rear quarter panel had been pushed in from the rear and was sticking out in a V shape about 4 inches! It looked like someone tried to make a K turn near my car and mistakenly thought they could clear it, but didn't. Luckily it was plastic, so I just pushed and the whole thing popped right back into place. Cost? One minor heart attack.

But a golf ball sized dent? Hmm...

·
Registered
424 Posts
I had a "spot" repair done on my bumper and was not at all happy with the results. There are many things wrong with the repair, but what upsets me the most is that I can tell exactly where the repair starts and ends. The problem is with the metallic paint. My Murano is copper, and it's a hard color to match. I don't know if this is true, but I've been told that the hardest color to match is "silver". So, I would make sure that the whole bumper is painted, not just the damaged area.

My circumstances are different than yours. My vehicle was damaged when I brought it in for service so I am not paying for the repair. I now have a new bumper cover on order and will be having it painted and installed by a body shop of my choice. Hopefully they will do a better job than the dealer.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ding King?

If the dent is golf ball sized without any sharp creases, it may be worth giving the ding king a shot. Its that device advertised on TV that uses hot glue, a screw on flat piece and bridge to try to pull dents out from the outside. They go for about $30.00 for a kit. See e.g., http://www.alltvstuff.com/ding1.html. I got one and it works okay for smallish dings/dents. It won't make them disappear by any stretch of the imagination, but it may just shrink them enough so you don't mind as much.

·
Registered
834 Posts
You can get the Ding King at www.dingking.tv it's my friends business and it's $11 cheaper than the above site I'm told.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts