Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In reading other posts I see some that come close to describing my issue but not all of the variables match. Let me start with the basics.

2012 Murano SL AWD
Purchased May 2019 at 112000 Miles
Currently ~120000

CVT Fluid is definitely in need of replacement and am looking into that (is dirty and smells burnt). Just trying to rule out bigger issues first, as may or may not be related. In situations that involve higher rpms like traveling over the mountain a few miles from my home cause the sound of what to me sounds like the whine of an electric motor. The volume has been increasing as of late but it has always been there from day 1 of ownership. It also can be heard but not as loud when in park and revving the engine. Steering pump has been ruled out. Source of sound seems to be the area of the torque converter. Last year I drove it regularly but since December it sees the road about once a week. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Side question, drain and replace vs flush with 12v oil pump? Should I replace cvt oil filter assembly?

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have heard reports over the years of a similar whine when the CVT is running hot...

I would start with having it scanned for Nissan TCM CVT error codes to see what it's reporting.

Not all code readers can read CVT TCM error codes.

The Android app called CVTz50 does:

Pair it with this inexpensive OBD2 dongle like this one with excellent reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011NSX27A/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A1GLTOK8L9INK7&psc=1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I gave it a try, are you able to tell me anything about the fluid pressure that is reported. I can post the whole log if it helps.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Have you run the check for TCM and ECM OBD2 error codes using CVTz50 yet?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I gave it a try, are you able to tell me anything about the fluid pressure that is reported. I can post the whole log if it helps.
I believe the app automatically highlights abnormal pressure values with yellow/red--see their website: CVTz50 - CVT diagnostics with ELM327

The fluid temperature looks a little high to me. Were you driving the car hard before monitoring with the app? This may have something to do with the "burnt" smell you reported.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you run the check for TCM and ECM OBD2 error codes using CVTz50 yet?
When I first loaded the app I had a low pressure and step motor codes. The step motor code had popped up originally from accidentally shifting to neutral going down a mountain so I paid that one no mind since I had already read and cleared it from my ECM scanner. I had no idea when the low pressure was from so I cleared them.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Maybe start with a drain/fill to see what impact it has, it's the easiest and least expensive option. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to change the CVT filter as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts