1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
simplesb When I used the link and searched around all I could find were intercoolers, Tell me how to find the TurboChargers.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess that should have been more of a question then a statement. It doesn't look like they carry the actual turbocharger. I guess I was looking more towards other's insight on whether this can be used with a Mo and if the CVT could actually handle a turbocharger if they do exist.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I doubt the CVT could handle the significant increase in power a turbo would produce. In fact, I was surprised Nissan did not increase the Murano's horsepower to 255+ to match the Honda pilot for 2005. Clearly this is possible since every other Nissan and Infiniti (except for the Quest) make more power from the VQ35DE. I assumed this was due to CVT durability concerns.

·
4,994 Posts
I need to look at the actual torque curves again but I think that part of the "tuning" for the CVT was to increase the lower end of the torque the little they could to keep the engine going slow for the max of fuel economy. We have a great rating for the weight and drag of the vehicle.

·
136 Posts
One of the benefits of the CVT is that it can easily trade HP for Torque, Right?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
vfr said:
One of the benefits of the CVT is that it can easily trade HP for Torque, Right?
Not really, the CVT's limited by the durability of the metal belt. The belt is designed to tolerate a collective load over the life of the belt. In other words, the more torque applied to the belt over time, the weaker it gets. Over time, I guess it will wear out.

·
4,994 Posts
Plus if your read some of the design papers you will find the limit is actually in belt tension which relates to torque which times RPM gives HP. (yes everyone I know the disks on the belt push) :p

Here is an interesting site. http://www.lasercannon.com/cvt.htm

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
not to mention that you would have to beef up the main bearing cap fasteners, head bolts and look seriously at lowering the compression. You might want to look into what compression ratios factory turbo equiped engines have....at least if you want longevity.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I believe most turbos like a compression ratio of 8.5:1. Our engine is 10.3:1. If I turboed mine, I'd go with a really small amount of boost, both for the sake of the engine (because I won't change the compression) and the CVT.

·
4,994 Posts
On the Massaritti, the bost is controlled bt the Knock sensor, BUT IN GREAT GAS AND LET HER RIP!!! (have lots of spare parts):eek:

·
136 Posts
(yes everyone I know the disks on the belt push)

Here is an interesting site. http://www.lasercannon.com/cvt.htm

I suppose the belt is pushing because of greater compressive strength and less fatigue than the tensile strength if it were pulling.

What I am having trouble with is the belt deflecting under compression. The belt obviously must be able to wrap around the minimum diameter the cone sets allow. So, how does the belt remain straight while pushing on the driven cone set?:confused:

·
4,994 Posts
IF you try to buckle a column, Imagine a very tall stack of Dominos with a belt running thru the center of them, You can see that it put tension on the bent to keep the column stright. Not the best annology, but the belt length is fixed my the tension in it as it goes around the "Pulleys" maintain a prescribed total lenght.

PS Did you get to read the writeup at the end, below the pictures?

ALSO this site is good nice pictures.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/030402.htm

·
136 Posts
Thanks, the light bulb is now on as that second article worked better for me. This concept is much more complex than I first thought. That segmented belt is quite a technological leap. Those steel stackiing plates must have some very tight dimensional tolerances!!

And yes, I did read through the bottom of the first article.

Can not wait untill my MO is broken in to see what it can do. :2:

·
4,994 Posts
With 200 degree Tranny temp for the fluid, Rubber molecules in the fluid, complex control algorithms, the belts, the disks, stepless and stepped, 97% Efficiency, etc. We are really on the cutting edge of transmission technology at least for production vehicles. :eek:

·
Registered
416 Posts
As impressive as the technology is, the performance of the CVT is terrific...its so smooth, flexible, powerfull....now if it could only provide more acceleration in the first 50 ' and smooth out the slight low rpm/slight acceleration "vibration"...it would be close to perfect...

·
4,994 Posts
As the commercial says, "We don't live anywhere close to tPerfect" Thats why we have walgreens. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Does anybody know where we can get the good specs and torque curve for CVT? Or, more technicals of CVT such as the logic they use for determining the ratio....etc... I have checked Japanese sites, but not much....

·
4,994 Posts
I posted a lot of web page to read about our CVT on here but I can't find then!!! So do A GOOGLE of JATCO plus CVT and Extoid and you will start finding a ton of stuff including the guy who sell complete Murano CVT rebuilding kits.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I already searched US and Japan...
None of them had detailed information or good technical data.

I think I will try to get something out of JATCO...

Thanks...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts