Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi was wondering if anyone knows if 350z mods turbo, supercharger, dual exhaust, are compatible with the murano and how it will behave afterwards?

Is there a chip or something like it?

I really want to know what is the street legal limit on horse power we can reach on the murano.

also want to know what is the biggest and widest tires we can use on the murano?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Got to find the limt of the CVT first. That's the (hate to say) weak link.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
The rumor around here is that the CVT is one weak puppy. From what I remember it is really close to its limit. That isn't going to stop me from putting an aftermarket exhaust on it. The rear end of this puppy is way too quiet! I spent some time over at everything350z.com looking in their exhaust gallery considering these engines are very similar. Here are the two I liked:
5Zigen

Obayashi

The person on the forum to check with about turbos/superchargers is Proline, he has a very modded Murano with an exhuast already and said that he is planning on adding one of them in the future. I'm curious as well...

I believe the biggest wheels that I saw were 195s.

There is currently no chip for the Murano.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Snow MO, I'm with you.

I'd love to add a better sounding exhaust and CAI. I've talked to Ken at Paddock performance and they (still) are working on these items. He seemed to be realy impressed with the CAI they are working on for adding HP.

I think together it may be around 15HP.

Give him a call, may help in pushing this project along.

845 429-4115

http://www.paddockperformance.com/frameset.html
http://www.paddockperformance.com

Snow MO said:
The rumor around here is that the CVT is one weak puppy. From what I remember it is really close to its limit. That isn't going to stop me from putting an aftermarket exhaust on it. The rear end of this puppy is way too quiet! I spent some time over at everything350z.com looking in their exhaust gallery considering these engines are very similar. Here are the two I liked:
5Zigen

Obayashi

The person on the forum to check with about turbos/superchargers is Proline, he has a very modded Murano with an exhuast already and said that he is planning on adding one of them in the future. I'm curious as well...

I believe the biggest wheels that I saw were 195s.

There is currently no chip for the Murano.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the aswers take care guys.

More wondering
The CAIs for 350z are compatible with the Murano? or any other of the NISMO parts?

·
hail 2 the snail
775 Posts
I am selling my Borla True Dual SS exhaust......

it can be made to fit the 350z (7" shorter midpipe and slightly shorter tips)

im confident any decent muffler shop can make it fit the MO also....

this unit is very modular, and produces a very deep throaty sound (no droning or rasp AT ALL)

Attachments

·
hail 2 the snail
775 Posts
less than 100 miles on it

pls. PM me if interested.....

i am removing it tomorrow, and going a diff route for my coupe..... (forced induction)

paid 700 a week ago

600-ish (maybe some shipping, if you're very far away)

id love to see the MO sporting a 60mm setup... (58mm ID)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Is that Borla exhaust for your FX or Murano (which i think you got rid of)?

edit: I can see its the FX - the Murano has a license plate on the hatch instead of the bumper

·
hail 2 the snail
775 Posts
Eric L. said:
Is that Borla exhaust for your FX or Murano (which i think you got rid of)?

edit: I can see its the FX - the Murano has a license plate on the hatch instead of the bumper
tell-tale give-a-way:: michelin pilot sport tires..... (oem on the g35coupe w/ brembo's)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Ah, silly me.

From the looks of it I doubt the G35 or FX exhausts will fit a Murano, which has a single pipe vs the true dual exhaust seem in the picture.

·
hail 2 the snail
775 Posts
Eric L. said:
Ah, silly me.

From the looks of it I doubt the G35 or FX exhausts will fit a Murano, which has a single pipe vs the true dual exhaust seem in the picture.

UM

all the above mentioned cars are single pipe beasts....

the pic i showed is the conversionary TD (true dual) setup.....

all the VQ breathe 3-1 (each side of block) then, 2-1 (y pipe) (thru resonator), then back to the muffler, where it exits in dual...

see attached for the oem g35 exhaust laid out next to the borla system.... (still up for grabs!!)

i think all you'd need is a midpipe extension (sold in 7" length, with direct bolt flanges) and maybe have a decent (capable) muffler/speed shop extend the tips back (maybe change their exit angle however suites you)

i dont blame ya for not being interested with these variables, but, having had the MO, FX, and G, i have spoent some time underneath, and see these share some exhaust components directly (fx45 inclusive)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Good illustration. You are right - with some custom piping in the middle somewhere it should fit.

There will also need to be a 90 degree bend fitting at the front to fit the transverse arrangement of the FWD Murano, since this pipe looks like it was made for the longitudinally mounted RWD VQs.

·
hail 2 the snail
775 Posts
Eric L. said:
Good illustration. You are right - with some custom piping in the middle somewhere it should fit.
i am assuming the MO (with the 4doors) is a bit longer, even than my coupe........

this makes the 350Z (two seater, 8" shorter wheelbase) pipe fit perfectly on the coupe......

heres the end result, the Zmidpipe, with extension, compared to the G midpipe....

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I have to say the borla looks a lot cleaner than the OE. Not that many people see anything but the muffler.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In theory the CVT wont limit the acceleration because if you get more ponies into the motor the CVT will only work faster and will transmit it to the tires faster improving overall performance. But since it is not tested under those circumstances this will be a nice experiment. Lets push the limit of CVT.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Any CVT failure though and you are going to have to fight with Nissan for a warranty claim. Sure, you could swap the exhaust back before you take it in for the repair, but what if you suffer a catastrophic failure and have to tow it in?

If you're going FI, I can understand that the gains are worth the risk, but for (at most) a 3-5% increase in hp (a performance improvement similar to removing your spare and other crap from your car) why risk it?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Snow MO said:
5Zigen

Obayashi

That second wav definately sounds blown or turbo charged. Anyway I remember reading somewhere that the CVTs limit is just above 280 HP as that is what the FX35 has. I would say anything above 300HP would be flirtign with a disaster. As a drag racer I can say that the CVT is definately not conducive to true "performance driving", it's meant to be comfortable and fuel efficeint.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Actually, for normal rookie level bracket drag racing I would think the Mo would work fairly well, the CVT and AWD should give it very very consistant times.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
" Anyway I remember reading somewhere that the CVTs limit is just above 280 HP as that is what the FX35 has."

Doesn't have much to do with the price of Tea in China.

The FX35 doesn't use a CVT.

Homer

1 - 20 of 28 Posts